Front Range 4x4 Upcoming Trail Runs - Add a New Trail Run

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 456789 ... LastLast

Thread: foxtrot's 89' 4runner project

Default Re: foxtrot's 89' 4runner project

woo, new parts

Throw the crush sleeve away and order you a solid pinion spacer!
    http://www.marlincrawler.com/differe...ion-spacer-kit

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Volcom previously posted:
    "Throw the crush sleeve away and order you a solid pinion spacer!
    http://www.marlincrawler.com/differe...ion-spacer-kit"

X2. The crush sleeve is a waste and the solid one is going to suite your needs a lot better.

dont have time :( im getting it setup tomorrow

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

foxtrot previously posted:
    "dont have time :( im getting it setup tomorrow"

Your aren't going to lose anything with the crush sleeve, so not to worry. The other sleeve is just a better upgrade.

Noticed that you are going to go on the Saran Wrap, etc run tomorrow. Watch the suggestions on the break in period for the gears(IE: driving for 20 minutes, letting the cool off, driving for 20 minutes, cooling, etc, then changing the oil out at 500 miles or so) as improper break in and getting the gears too hot initially has been the cause of many a premature gear failure. Don't have to go over board with this, but don't treat them as if they don't need some break in. For instance: Drive to the meet place early and let the gears cool off. Drive to the trail head and let the gears cool off. Anyway, you get my drift.

so... burned out the clutch on eagle rock. trying to decide what to go with. stock replacement is 100 bucks, marlin replacement is 200. 1200, 1600 1900 or 2100 lbs?

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Talk to Marlin. Even if you don't buy the clutch from them, they will make a good suggestion. LCI also sell clutches as another source, as does Underdog Racing Development.

Todd (WYota) just put a clutch and a 10 pound over flywheel in his rig with the 2.7L and is very happy with that. You might PM him to see what he put in. I have the TRD in mine and had a Center Force before I swapped in the 3.4L. Both of these are good, but pricey clutches.

Andrew put a stock replacement clutch in his 4 Runner that he got with the FR wholesale plus price at Stevinson West Toyota. Stock cluthches work fine, too.

Last Online
    May 23rd, 2024
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

Todd didn't seem real happy with his on MSV!

I put a cheap Exedy clutch in mine. Works great off-road since I've got all the low range gearing. I never have to worry about slipping a clutch. If you've got the $$$, you can't go wrong with a 1600lb Marlin clutch! Will it be ready for the Jambo??

oh, it wil be ready for the jambo lol. no doubt about it. I'm even selling my dirt bike to be ready

I like my Marlin clutch - I went with the standard, it holds fine even in compound low, but feels kinda soft. Wish I had gone with one of the higher ones.

Note the Marlin clutches are a SECO pressure plate and AISIN disc - pretty much factory components.

If you 'wheel a lot, I would recommend a heavier flywheel if you have a few extra bucks.

I guess it's time for an update. I ended up ordering the marlin 1600 lb clutch. Dan (wakkjob) is helping me put it in and get a lot of other not needed things off of the truck. removed all of the A/C components, removed heater lines to the rear heater, removed the old alarm system that I didn't even know was there, put notches in the door hinges to make removing them easier, and fix all of the ghetto rigged and dumb wiring in the truck. We got the tranny bolted back up today with the new clutch in. all thats left is to finish cleaning up all the BS wiring.

"I guess it's time for an update. I ended up ordering the marlin 1600 lb clutch. Dan (wakkjob) is helping me put it in and get a lot of other not needed things off of the truck. removed all of the A/C components, removed heater lines to the rear heater, removed the old alarm system that I didn't even know was there, put notches in the door hinges to make removing them easier, and fix all of the ghetto rigged and dumb wiring in the truck. We got the tranny bolted back up today with the new clutch in. all thats left is to finish cleaning up all the BS wiring. "

Good to hear! Glad your getting it ready to run for next week. What are your plans for the Jambo? When are you leaving? What trails were you going to try & run?

What are your plans with the rear heater? Mine never came with rear heat and I was kinda thinking of adding it for my kids in the backseat.

Did you still need those extra knuckle studs? I never popped them back in the mail, sorry.

I plan on leaving friday morning sometime. I will have to pack friday morning then head up. I plan on running holy cross, wheeler lake, and chinaman gultch. you can have the rear heater/lines if you would like. I will look and see what all would be needed to put it in to yours. I'll bring it with me to the jambo so you can pick it up. I really just need one knuckle stud setup. only one of mine is missing. you can bring it to the jambo if you want

We're running Holy Cross on Friday. We'll be at the trailhead at 9am. I'd suggest trying to make the HC run on Friday. I don't know if anybody else is going to run HC Sat or Sun. It will be an easy morning for you on Friday to make it to the HC trailhead by 9 but well worth it. It's going to be one hell of a day.

are you planning on setting up camp first? how far away is HC from camp

"are you planning on setting up camp first? how far away is HC from camp"

I'm going to be leaving Pueblo @ 8:30pm on Thursday night. I'll be rolling into camp @ 11pm late Thursday. The BV camp is an hour away from Holy Cross. Most people end up coming on Thursday night and driving up to HC Friday morning or coming up early Friday and meeting us at the trailhead at 9. There's enough trucks & trailers that people can unload their camping gear into a tow rig so they don't have to wheel with a loaded rig on Friday.

For the rear heater to work you'll need a different heater control valve and a few new hoses... it's all bolt-on stuff. Also wiring for the blower motor and maybe a different console?

>>Dan

how easy is it to find the campsite at 3 am?will you be at the BV campsite already by then volcom? I'll look for your runner. what type of tow rig do you have

also, I'm pretty sure I know where it is. you take a left at the end of hwy 24, go around the big curve with the field on the right. then you come to a dirt road and take a right. get to a big area surrounded by trees? is this the campsite?

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 456789 ... LastLast