PDA

View Full Version : What trails do you want to run?

Chris
June 15th, 2010, 02:29 PM
Since we're getting closer every day to the closer trails opening I thought I'd throw this out to see what everyone's thinking about for runs.

I think the "Stockers w/Lockers," "Ladies Run" & "Fall Color Run" have gone over well in the past w/ great turnout. Any interest this year?

I like Ouray in August but multi-day trips have been hard to put together.

Other specific trails anyone thinking about?

Let's toss some ideas around and get some runs planned!

:frontrange4x4:

gm4x4lover
June 15th, 2010, 02:45 PM
i will do the fall color run again. And some of the trails i would like to run are holy cross, wheeler lake, spring creek, iron chest & grizzly lake, maybe blonca peak.

Aaron
June 15th, 2010, 03:42 PM
We're camping in Ouray from Aug 5th to the 8th. You interested in doing some runs out there that weekend Chris?

MelloYello
June 15th, 2010, 03:43 PM
Caribou Creek is a good easy trail for stockers or fall colors.
Yankee Hill, Kingston pass is also good for stockers.

Aaron
June 15th, 2010, 03:44 PM
I've never done all of Yankee Hill. I need to get my neighbor (Skeeters) out to Barbour Forks and other nice easy trails soon. I really want to do that Ellis Jeep Trail run that I missed out on last year because of the transmission.

We've got a couple of trips to the Poudre Canyon planned this summer so some northern trails are needed.

KnuckleHead
June 15th, 2010, 03:58 PM
Yankee Hill, T33a, anything close...lol... I'm hoping to be able to do the Fall Colors run this year....

Andrew
June 15th, 2010, 04:26 PM
I haven't been able to get to Ouray yet and want to go.

I want to run MSV/Coney Flats again.

I haven't run Kelly Flats yet.

I want to do the Ptarmigan Pass/McAllister Gulch/Lime Creek area again. It's an awesome trip.

Other than that, not sure. There are plenty out there.

I haven't done Jenny Creek.

But definitely Ouray stuff would be nice.

Chris
June 15th, 2010, 04:33 PM
We're camping in Ouray from Aug 5th to the 8th. You interested in doing some runs out there that weekend Chris?

Those dates are good. If this was a quiet family vacation I don't want to change your plans.

Chris
June 15th, 2010, 04:35 PM
Caribou Creek is a good easy trail for stockers or fall colors.
Yankee Hill, Kingston pass is also good for stockers.

We sure need a good easy trail this time. Last year didn't live up to it's name very well. Those all sound good to me.

Aaron
June 15th, 2010, 04:49 PM
Those dates are good. If this was a quiet family vacation I don't want to change your plans.

It is but we're planning on bringing the Jeep and doing some easy trails. I doubt the plan is to wheel everyday but we could plan a day or two of alpine bliss :) In other words, you wont be changing plans.

Jackie
June 15th, 2010, 05:11 PM
i will do the fall color run again. And some of the trails i would like to run are holy cross, wheeler lake, spring creek, iron chest & grizzly lake, maybe blonca peak.

Whooo! Those trails sound like too much for me and my Jeep - but have fun with that! (I'd love to watch or ride along in an extreme truck)!!!

Johnny Park , Pierson Park and Pole Hill are all stocker-friendly/newbie-friendly and are fun in groups. I wouldn't mind running them again. (Although I've already run them a few times each). Personally, I like trails that are more scenic and don't involve likely damage, winching, tipping, towing, digging etc. (rated 6 or less on trail damage). But that's just me!

Air Randy
June 15th, 2010, 05:28 PM
i will do the fall color run again. And some of the trails i would like to run are holy cross, wheeler lake, spring creek, iron chest & grizzly lake, maybe blonca peak. I second Nick's list, and we need to get everyone out on the trail. Times awastin!

Chris
June 15th, 2010, 05:43 PM

I'll pass on Holy Cross but Wheeler Lake is a lot of fun and Iron Chest & Grizzly Lake are on my list for this season. I'm also up for local trails as already mentioned.

Chris
June 15th, 2010, 05:45 PM
It is but we're planning on bringing the Jeep and doing some easy trails

IMHO all the Ouray trails are easy except Poughkeepsie. :thunb:

Have you thought of what trails you'll be running?

Chris
June 15th, 2010, 06:14 PM
Doing some checking and it looks like most trails are still snowed in - anyone know what's open now?

colomil
June 15th, 2010, 06:45 PM
I really want to do Blanca Peak. I really like trails with good scenery/awesome views. I like all the runs around Buena Vista.

Rob
June 15th, 2010, 08:00 PM
Looks like Pole Hill opened today (I check BRD and CLD every night when I get home from work). Maybe they fixed the damage done by the gate cutters. Or maybe it's now just part of the character of the trail. It didn't look too bad in the photos.

I want to run the 40 on some trails it hasn't been on yet: Johnny Park/Pierson Park loop; Coney Flats; Red Elephant/Empire Loop/BML; like that.

I'm also up for some trails up north, like Kelly Flats, Storm Mountain and the like.

I might be able to hit up Ouray in early August. Depends on how I work my remaining vacation time.

Red Rhino
June 15th, 2010, 09:01 PM
i would like to run are holy cross, wheeler lake, spring creek, iron chest & grizzly lake, maybe blonca peak.

I would go for any or all of these!!!

Bryan

Red Rhino
June 15th, 2010, 09:09 PM
I will be doing Ouary trails July 2-5. I allready have a camping spot.

Bryan

Aaron
June 15th, 2010, 09:15 PM

nope, haven't done any planning except the campground.

Aaron
June 15th, 2010, 09:15 PM

nope, haven't done any planning except the campground.

Aaron
June 15th, 2010, 09:18 PM
We've got st Elmo area set up for Labor day weekend. The wife has been wanting to do tin cup for years.

Chris
June 15th, 2010, 09:32 PM
I will be doing Ouary trails July 2-5. I allready have a camping spot.

I'll be watching for a report Bryan, as I mentioned the other day that's a bit early for me.

cfr
June 15th, 2010, 09:34 PM
Way too many on my list. In general, I'm more into the scenic views than the difficulty.

- Pole Hill Road
- Johnny Park Road
- Miller Rock
- Middle St. Vrain & Coney Flats
- West Magnolia
- Moody Hill / Crystal Mountain
- Old Flowers Road
- Kelly Flats
- Tincup / Hancock / Tomichi Passes
- Medano Pass / Hayden Pass & Great Sand Dunes National Park
- Wheeler Lake
- Bill Moore Lake
- Kingston Peak
- Argentine Pass
- Crystal Powerhouse / Lead King Basin / Schofield Pass

If I can run the local stuff, a trip on the passes in Buena Vista, and down the to the Sand Dunes then I think it'll be a good summer.

AccordRanger
June 15th, 2010, 09:53 PM
Would like to make a day of Johnny Person and Pole hill sometime.

Jackie
June 15th, 2010, 10:00 PM
^^I'm IN for that one! LOVE those trails!

Red Rhino
June 15th, 2010, 10:20 PM
I'll be watching for a report Bryan, as I mentioned the other day that's a bit early for me.

Yes it will be a bit early, but Ouray is one the best places in the state to spend the 4th.

Bryan

southpaws3
June 15th, 2010, 10:25 PM
I haven't been able to get to Ouray yet and want to go.

I want to run MSV/Coney Flats again.

I haven't run Kelly Flats yet.

I want to do the Ptarmigan Pass/McAllister Gulch/Lime Creek area again. It's an awesome trip.

Other than that, not sure. There are plenty out there.

I haven't done Jenny Creek.

But definitely Ouray stuff would be nice.

did you say OOOOuray ?!?!?!?! or OOOOOLAy ---sorry i've been talking to Dr.oldunit to much i get confused ....definitely OOOOuray i'm in after the divide trail ...

Rob
June 15th, 2010, 10:26 PM
Add Kingston Peak to my list. Haven't done that one yet. And I'd like to hit Argentine later in the season. The last time we hit snow and couldn't finish the trail.

southpaws3
June 15th, 2010, 10:29 PM
I would go for any or all of these!!!

Bryan

X2 w/red rhino lets go !!!

Roostercruiser
June 15th, 2010, 10:43 PM
i will do anything . Firsy on list trail clean up. Ill wheel everyother weekend

Pathrat
June 15th, 2010, 10:46 PM
Looks like I will be setting up clean up run number 2 the Saturday after Labor Day, so that counts as a run. Yes, I will post up properly in a few weeks.

When things open up, i.e. no snow in the shade, we are going to head up to Moon and Gamble Gulch and see how things lie. Again, I will post later. It was stocker friendly two years ago, and scenic. I will of course post up to see if the trail would fit the bill for a large, unlocked kind of run.

I enjoy a challenge when I am on my mark, but I don't seek out damage opportunities. Scenic is good. I would like to try Augustine at the end of July.

Rob
June 15th, 2010, 10:54 PM
Augustine at the end of July

Augustine? Where's that?

Pathrat
June 15th, 2010, 10:55 PM
Augustine? Where's that?

You know, that Catholic philosopher peak over on the other side of Argentine!

Rob
June 15th, 2010, 11:09 PM
Are you being a wise-acre again? :rolleyes:

SubaCool
June 15th, 2010, 11:57 PM
I'm up for the scenic ones. We can do just about anything rated up to a 4 on td. I'd like to get on Pierson/Johny Park trails ;)

1freaky1
June 16th, 2010, 08:11 AM
I have not run Kingston Peak yet would like to try it this summer and still have yet to make to the top of Argentine and stairway to heaven.

MelloYello
June 16th, 2010, 10:08 AM
I ran Argentine last year October 3 and the top was still snowed in. Looked like it never melted over the summer. I hope this summer melts more. But this is a good easy trail, at least up to Waldorf Mine. Argentine Pass may be more difficult but I did not make it to the top. This is where my Avatar pic was taken and you can see the snow in the background.

4wdhunter
June 16th, 2010, 01:57 PM
Trails I would like to run/re-run this summer include:

MSV/Coney Flats
Spring Creek
Red Cone
Wheeler Lake
Buena Vista area trails
Holy Cross
Moab fall trip

Thats about all I can think of for now :)

Jeep should be ready in the next week or two and I'm itchin to get out.

Pathrat
June 16th, 2010, 06:25 PM
Rob, when I wrote my reply, the banner at the top right of the page in front of my name said "shouldn't you be in bed by now?" and yes, I probably should have been. ;)

Jackie
June 16th, 2010, 06:34 PM
Mine is asking me "What's for dinner".:lmao:

Rob
June 16th, 2010, 08:10 PM
Rob, when I wrote my reply, the banner at the top right of the page in front of my name said "shouldn't you be in bed by now?" and yes, I probably should have been. ;)

Mine is asking me "What's for dinner".:lmao:

Look, Chris, someone else finally noticed. :D

Mine says things like: "You're looking particularly lovely today, Rob" and "Did you forget to shave this morning, Rob?"

Well, maybe not, but they should. :D

Jackie
June 16th, 2010, 08:21 PM
"Good evening" bach atcha!

Chris
June 16th, 2010, 08:41 PM
Look, Chris, someone else finally noticed. :D

Mine says things like: "You're looking particularly lovely today, Rob" and "Did you forget to shave this morning, Rob?"

Well, maybe not, but they should. :D

:lmao: And I thought nobody would notice.

I understand these change over time too. ;)

SubaCool
June 16th, 2010, 09:02 PM
I'd like to try some trails around Buena Vista.

Pathrat
June 16th, 2010, 09:05 PM

I love the little notes! I noticed it when I got back from vacation and was pleased to see they were back.

scout man
June 16th, 2010, 09:22 PM

I noticed Chris, but I figured you would make fun of me if I was the first to point it out

Chris
June 16th, 2010, 09:24 PM
I would have Steve! :D

scout man
June 16th, 2010, 10:01 PM
of course, I also noticed the "trail run" button at the top of the page is labelled "text" instead.

Volcom
June 16th, 2010, 11:59 PM
Patriot
Liberty
BV Carnage
Holy Cross
Blanca / Medano Pass
Chinamans
Maybe Eagle Rock

Chris
June 17th, 2010, 09:03 AM
of course, I also noticed the "trail run" button at the top of the page is labelled "text" instead.

Fixed it, thanks Steve. :redface:

Fordguy77
June 18th, 2010, 03:19 PM

I noticed but i thought i missed a post about how you updated it or something so i just went about it as normal.

Fordguy77
June 18th, 2010, 03:22 PM

I noticed but i thought i missed a post about how you updated it or something so i just went about it as normal.

Fordguy77
June 18th, 2010, 03:26 PM
I just want to get out and do just about any trails the FJ60 can do without major risks to body damage, also trails with good scenery.

scout man
June 26th, 2010, 11:08 PM
Fixed it, thanks Steve.

On the note of forum changes chris, you must know something I dont!

Where are my kids? And who says they are mine?? :erm:

Chris
June 27th, 2010, 10:05 AM
:lmao: The computer knows all Steve. You may want to be careful opening your door to strangers.

scout man
June 27th, 2010, 03:08 PM
I new there was I reason I am hiding in Utah right now!

Chris
June 27th, 2010, 04:40 PM
Which number wife's house you at?

Jackie
June 27th, 2010, 04:49 PM
:lmao:

scout man
June 27th, 2010, 06:13 PM
shhhhhhhhhhh. dont give me away chris!!

AccordRanger
June 30th, 2010, 10:57 PM
Want to do Bill Moore, Caribou Creek, Saxon Pennsylvania gulch.

Gordon Gulch, Peewink Mountain new on trail damage:thunb:

Chris
July 3rd, 2010, 08:22 PM
Wow, great response so there are lots of choices. :thunb:

We're already in to July and the calendar is pretty empty. Don't wait for someone else, choose a trail, date, meeting place, directions and CB channel and post it up.

Planned Trail Runs (http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?14-Planned-Trail-Runs)

Funrover
July 3rd, 2010, 10:51 PM
Well there are many I want to do. Iron Chest is going t be my goal for this summer

AccordRanger
July 3rd, 2010, 10:53 PM
Gonna try to get one up this month but with the way scheduling at work is who knows.

gm4x4lover
July 5th, 2010, 07:53 AM
Well there are many I want to do. Iron Chest is going t be my goal for this summer

Pic a date and lets go!

Chris
July 5th, 2010, 08:46 PM
Iron Chest is on my list too, when are we going to do it?