PDA

View Full Version : Trail are Opening

Chris
June 18th, 2010, 11:21 PM
Fort Collins, Colo. (June 18, 2010) – Recent storms have wreaked havoc on many roads on the Canyon Lakes Ranger District (CLRD) of the Roosevelt National Forest, but some are opening up this weekend.

During a typical year, many of the roads on CLRD are open by now, except some at higher elevations. This year, however, rains have damaged many roads. Crews are working hard to get as many open to visitors as possible.

Since last weekend’s storms, two roads have opened this week. West White Pine and Dadd Gulch/Salt Cabin are now open, but be aware that more wet weather could change conditions on these roads at any time.

Additional roads are expected to open later today, including Johnny Park/Button Rock, Moody Hill, and Crystal Mountain. Tomorrow crews hope to get Storm Mountain, Pierson Park and Hell Canyon roads open as well.

Some of the district’s most popular roads will remain closed until repairs can be completed. For example, damage on the very popular Kelly Flats Road includes a four foot drop off where the road was washed away. For both public safety and natural resource concerns it must be repaired before being opened.

The public should also be cautious due to falling tree hazards. All of this recent moisture has loosened roots, causing an increased hazard to travelers, especially on windy days. Heavy rains could also require any opened road to be closed at any time. Always check for the latest status.

For information on CLRD roads, please call Visitor Information Services at 970-295-6700 or check online at www.fs.usda.gov/arp and click on the Road Status link on the right-hand side and then the Canyon Lakes link.

Rob
June 18th, 2010, 11:45 PM
Good deal.

Also, all the Magnolia gates are open, and two sections of Caribou are open on the Boulder Ranger District.

Lysmachia
June 19th, 2010, 01:58 AM
Thanks for the heads up Chris... I really appreciate the info!

MelloYello
June 19th, 2010, 05:40 PM
Great info! Thanks. You can NEVER be too prepared.

Rob
June 19th, 2010, 09:07 PM
What's going on, Chris? Now this thread title has changed. Got a bug?

Lysmachia
June 19th, 2010, 09:09 PM
Woah... No kidding! And I was just copying info from this thread 2 minutes ago for a CoTTORA guy who lives up in Ft Collins and is dying to run something close...

Chris
June 19th, 2010, 09:12 PM
Strange indeed, I changed it back but have no idea why that happened. That kind of stuff worries me. :confused:

Rob
June 19th, 2010, 09:19 PM
("Twilight Zone" music plays in the background.) Curiouser and curiouser.

By the way, Johnny Park and Pierson Park are still listed as closed on the website. It has been updated recently because now all four West Magnolia gates are listed as open.

Chris
June 19th, 2010, 09:27 PM
("Twilight Zone" music plays in the background.) Curiouser and curiouser.

:erm: To me it says: Quick, back up the database!

Pathrat
June 19th, 2010, 09:36 PM
Thank you for the update!

Rob
June 21st, 2010, 12:45 PM
More trails opened up north today:

Johnny Park
Pierson Park
Moody Hill
Crystal Mountain
Storm Mountain