PDA

View Full Version : On Board Air?

RidgeRunner
June 21st, 2010, 09:27 PM
I've been looking at putting OBA on my rig for a while and now I've got the green ($) but I'm not sure which way to go.

Does anybody have experience with the ARB CKMA12 High Volume hardmount compressor filling tires? I have an ARB rear locker but the compressor is the mini version and won't fill tires. This would probably be the easiest solution if it will fill tires well.

My other options are a portable 12v compressor such as the Viair or similar but I'd rather not have 2 compressors (ARB mini and portable) and just run my locker off the OBA.

Or I could go with the Viair OBA kit with the tank which will take up more room and require a lower pressure switch or regulator to run the locker.

My goals are:
Fill tires
Run ARB locker, rear for now, f/r in the future.

What's my best choice, and what's your experience?

TIA

Andrew
June 21st, 2010, 09:39 PM
Honestly I would go with a CO2 tank. I love mine.

Now...for lockers you could use a small compressor. You could tie into the CO2 also I believe. I haven't looked into that at all though.

But CO2 fills tires really quickly compared to a compressor and even an air tank because you have to use one of those compressors after the tank runs out.

scout man
June 21st, 2010, 10:26 PM
I had a Viair for a little bit, and got rid of it. It just wasnt functional enough for me. My York compressor works great. I can fill a tire from about 12psi to 32psi in about 45 seconds. It will fill my 5 gallons of tanks from 0 to 125psi in under a minute. I will never look back from my york. A 12v compressor simply will not perform to the level I wanted it too. My intention was also to be able to run air tools off my rig though. I can run an impact off my OBA, which was great when I broke my spider gears on Top of the World.

I have always avoided the CO2 simply because I would have to get it filled. I much prefer to have an endless supply of air on my rig, so I dont have to worry about filling it before I hit the trail, or running air tools then not having enough to air up, etc... Plus I know my luck, and the one time I really needed the air would be a time that my tank was empty or something.

Haku
June 22nd, 2010, 01:20 AM
I never got the appeal of the power tanks. $600 or more for the system, plus another $20 every time you need to get it filled, plus you have to go out of your way to get it refilled. Unless you live close to a place that can refill it cheaply, I wouldn't go for that.

I agree with going with the York compressor. I was sold on those when Mark(flexytoy) filled the tires in 4 rigs using his York in the same time to fill mine using my Puma system, which is about as good as 12 volt units get. If you can fit a York compressor, or even just a stock AC compressor (by itself, deleting the AC or adding it on), then that is the way to go. I'm sure there are plenty of XJ's that have done a York.

I've seen plenty of people using the Higher Capacity ARB pump with good effect, its just slow going. No way its gonna run an impact or anything, but it will do the tires.......eventually.

Josh

Brody
June 22nd, 2010, 05:11 AM
What everyone else has said: the York AC compressor rocks and can be found cheap in a junkyard. I have had the York style on about 8 rigs (or more) that I have owned if not more. I also have both a Power Tank and the Yota AC as OBA on my current heap. I bought the PT when I was flush with bucks and they work really nice.

If I was going to go with something other than my locker compressor to pump my tires up and wanted a single cheap and very effective way to do this, I would do the York. You can put the whole thing together for way under $100 start to finish including a tank.

Here is a link for more than you want to know:

http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?5054-On-Board-Air-Installation-Articles-and-Links

Andrew
June 22nd, 2010, 07:31 AM
Definitely if you can mount a York, then get one. I can't or that's the route I would go.

Okay so I can, but I would lose my A/C and I like my A/C too much.

BTW I only paid about $100 for my entire CO2 setup.

MelloYello
June 22nd, 2010, 05:09 PM
Definitely if you can mount a York, then get one. I can't or that's the route I would go.

Okay so I can, but I would lose my A/C and I like my A/C too much.

BTW I only paid about $100 for my entire CO2 setup.

Okay, I'll bite, How did you get a CO2 setup for $100 bucks??

Ardent
June 22nd, 2010, 05:52 PM

You can buy the tanks and regulators at welding shops.

Or you can buy a complete set up. I'm going to be running a 15# CO2 tank starting this summer. My main reason for going CO2 instead of OBA is that I can transfer it from one truck to the other.

Chris
June 22nd, 2010, 05:55 PM
Yep, I had a few of those before converting my A/C compressor to OBA. Nobody needs A/C. :D

RidgeRunner
June 22nd, 2010, 06:36 PM
Nobody needs A/C.

Tell my pregnant wife that.

I thought about a CO2 bottle but I don't like the idea of having to fill it. I'd rather just have an onboard compressor.

As for the York compressor, does anyone other than Kilby make the brackets to mount a second AC compressor? My AC still blows cold and, like I said, my wife is pregnant so I'm not willing to do away with my AC just yet.

Brody
June 22nd, 2010, 07:24 PM
Another article, may be a duplicate, but it is comprehensive if a bit overkill:

http://www.offroaders.com/info/tech-corner/project-cj7/project-cj7-onboard-air.htm

http://www.webejeepin.com/Glenns_Jeep/onboard-air1.htm

(Looking for some alternative brackets. I just made some for 2-3 of the setups I had)

http://www.jeepsonly.com/How_Tos/On_Board_Air/

Below is quoted from another site. Don't know why the dude spent so damn much. Most of the folks I know who have done this have change left over from $100. You can usually get a used air tank with fittings, manifold and pressure switch for around $10 from Pro Tools, the compressor for $30-35, hose from Harbor freight for $20. Can't figure out how idiot stick spent almost $500 and was proud of it...

HANDS DOWN a York engine driven compressor. I've used many electrics, NOTHING comes even CLOSE to this. Did the same thing, ORO bracket and built it the rest myself.

Installed a York 206 OBA setup in the JK. Got the 206 for $30 from my friend who loves collecting parts from older AMC/Jeep. Used Off Road Only's bracket kit and Woods/JeepSwag air manifold. Check valve and oil separator from Grainger. 5 gallon air tank reserve from Sears. Used a 5,000 PSI hydraulic hose as the output form the compressor (gets VERY hot VERY fast). Steel braided, holds the pressure and heat MINT. The rest is 3/8" 300 PSI line. Run 150 PSI pressure switch. Airs the 5 gallon tank in 2:18. Airs a 35" MT/R from 9 PSI to 28 PSI in 1:32 on idle. Run my 1/2" impact with no issues and plenty of reserve on the tank for all 5 lugs. Trail repairs will be MUCH faster now. Removed the head cover and drilled/tapped for 3/8" NPT. Created and welded my own brackets for the check valve and oil separator.
I don't care what anyone says, belt driven compressors are the way to go. I've had ARB electrics, Harbor Friehgt electrics, they are NO comparison.

Total cost was $490 vs. $1,100-$1,200 from Kilby/ORO. If you can make things yourself...do it.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_fAUNvFpPZ9A/S_lPsrdLU8I/AAAAAAAAA_s/TGRVVMgF8b0/DSC04524.JPG

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_fAUNvFpPZ9A/S_lPs2vZdRI/AAAAAAAABAM/Ly1YOcDF6JE/s512/DSC04525.JPG

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_fAUNvFpPZ9A/S_lPtBjnG0I/AAAAAAAAA_0/CWIgPHYo0hU/DSC04526.JPG

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_fAUNvFpPZ9A/S_lPtpzjuvI/AAAAAAAAA_4/rGJ2sj9i9lA/DSC04527.JPG

Hope the links work, I didn't check them.

https://secure48.mysecureorder.net/offroadonly/catalog/

The brackets these guys sell are priced at almost $300, more than the Kirby one. I would do some junkyard rummaging and find something for about $5-10 and modify it to work for you. They used Yorks on Jeeps, Chevys, Fords, etc, etc for years and years...

Chris
June 22nd, 2010, 08:01 PM

I learned a long time ago not to tell a pregnant woman anything! :lmao:

Andrew
June 22nd, 2010, 08:19 PM

The tank is just a CO2 tank from a restaurant that was used on a Coke machine. Slap on a regulator, hose and inflator/gauge and you're good to go. Mine has an anti-siphon hose that was put in so I can use it laying down and not have to have it upright.

Now, it's not as fast or as good as a Power Tank. The regulator will start to freeze up after inflating all of my tires, but at that point I don't need it anymore so it doesn't bother me.

I can get it filled locally at JAX for around $15-20. It's a 20lb tank and lasts me quite a bit.

A-TRAC
June 22nd, 2010, 08:31 PM
Now, it's not as fast or as good as a Power Tank. The regulator will start to freeze up after inflating all of my tires, but at that point I don't need it anymore so it doesn't bother me.

I can get it filled locally at JAX for around $15-20. It's a 20lb tank and lasts me quite a bit.

I have a home-made CO2 setup as well. I got the tank and regulator from beveragefactory.com and their $35 regulator ( http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/regulators/co2-premium.shtml ) does freeze up after filling up the 6th tire or so.

If I had to do it again, I'd get the Hyperflo Fixed regulator ( http://eastsidecustomtruck.com/i-61362-hyperflo-fixed-regulator.html ) for $10 more and not worry about the regulator freezing up.

And to run air-tools and bring it down to 90 PSI or so, one can always get an inline regulator at HomeDepot or Lowes ( http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xhf/R-100082550/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053 ) .

Also, the best place I have found in the Denver metro for filling up tanks is Red Comet ( http://www.redcomet-adx.com/ ). $9.50 for a 10lb tank and they fill it up while you wait.

Andrew
June 22nd, 2010, 08:53 PM
Yup Red Comet is awesome for those who live in Denver.

RidgeRunner
June 22nd, 2010, 08:59 PM
Wow, Brody, thanks for all the links. I guess I need to take a look under the hood to see if I can shoehorn a York under there somewhere along with the fender mods I have planned.

Brody
June 23rd, 2010, 05:36 AM
The coolest option, providing that you can actually find one, is the remote 12v compressor found on some early Caddies. This was a very powerful compressor and worked very well. The name and models it came on or in the OBA links somewhere, so it may be worth a few phone calls trying to locate one. Try to get the guy that answers the phone at one of the junkyards to put it out on the hot line to see if there is one around. Name starts with an 'S', but that is all my brain comes up with this early...

Ahhhh....here is a link and a very cool write up:

http://www.yotatech.com/f129/do-yourself-onboard-air-75748/

Another with the Caddie:

Nice write up. Where were you about 3 weeks ago when I did my setup? I used a 1995 Cadillac Air suspension compressor hooked up to a 3 gallon air tank with a a CH regulator/blow-off valve/gauge. I'll be hooking up a pressure switch real soon, once everything is finalized. Right now I have the tanked strapped down in the hatch right next to the Air compressor. Soon I will hard mount the compressor (possibly under hood) with air outlets in the ARB and KMA bumpers. I was able to fill up my AT tires from 15-35 psi in about 1 minute 30 seconds or so, depending on how much pressure was in the tank (obviously). And of course limited Air tool use.
On board air (also KMA install) (http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=3&members=1&uid=459177&gid=875481&imgid=10793869)

Brody
June 23rd, 2010, 05:52 AM
Holler if you need help with the brackets. There are a few folks on the forum, including me, that can work with you on this.

Volcom
June 23rd, 2010, 09:05 AM
If you want the performance of a York but want it electric so you don't have to mess with brackets & AC stuff - Oasis air compressors (http://oasismfg.thomasnet.com/item/air-compressors/xd3000-extended-duty-air-compressors/item-1050?&seo=110). York compressor driven by an electric motor. The price may shock you though.

On that note, I converted my AC compressor into an air compressor. I added a 5 gal tank to the system. I still have yet to try it out but it will be ready in a couple of weeks.

Redcreeper
June 23rd, 2010, 10:53 AM
See this posting and have a few questions. I have a OBA on my Jeep that when i used it last went to crap. It is a ford AC pump that the PO set up with a 5 gal tank in the back. Worked well for the few minutes i used it. The PO told me to just spray the filter he put on the inlet site with oil and it will suck it down. NOT. So that leaves me with what do i do? I think for money sake i would like to find a cheap compressor and put it on but all the York compressors i have seen or found are a V belt and this has a serpentine set up. It has a Ford 302 and the bracket is what is used to hold a Ford AC compressor so dont really want to mess with that. Any ideas or suggestions would help. Thanks.

scout man
June 23rd, 2010, 10:57 AM
Usually you can replace a v-belt pully with another pully. Possibly even with the one that is already on the AC compressor you have. Or replace it with another ford one and run an in-line oiler, then a filter on the other end to pull the oil back out so it doesnt build up in your tanks.

Fordguy77
June 23rd, 2010, 12:04 PM
See this posting and have a few questions. I have a OBA on my Jeep that when i used it last went to crap. It is a ford AC pump that the PO set up with a 5 gal tank in the back. Worked well for the few minutes i used it. The PO told me to just spray the filter he put on the inlet site with oil and it will suck it down. NOT. So that leaves me with what do i do? I think for money sake i would like to find a cheap compressor and put it on but all the York compressors i have seen or found are a V belt and this has a serpentine set up. It has a Ford 302 and the bracket is what is used to hold a Ford AC compressor so dont really want to mess with that. Any ideas or suggestions would help. Thanks.
The 302 was produced so long, and has been in so many vehicles that the after market for is comparable to the Chevy 350. I'd look at some of bronco sites if your looking for a kit. Just a quick Google and i got this.
http://broncoair.com/broncoyorkair.html

Redcreeper
June 23rd, 2010, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the info. Fordboy77 im not looking for a kit just a way to replace what i have but would like a york since it is internally oiled but dont see this happening since the mounting is different. That pulley is interesting though. May work if i change my mount but pricey. Unless someone knows there is a York that has the same mounts as the Ford unit?

Fordguy77
June 23rd, 2010, 01:55 PM
Thanks for the info. Fordboy77 im not looking for a kit just a way to replace what i have but would like a york since it is internally oiled but dont see this happening since the mounting is different. That pulley is interesting though. May work if i change my mount but pricey. Unless someone knows there is a York that has the same mounts as the Ford unit?

How old is the set up you are running?

Chris
June 25th, 2010, 07:41 AM
Search for my OBA thread, Brody set mine up and in the posting I list part numbers, etc. Not putting down Yorks but others work if you keep them oiled. I use my A/C compressor since other components failed. Puts out 120psi and works quite well.

4runner freak
June 25th, 2010, 11:17 AM
Search for my OBA thread, Brody set mine up and in the posting I list part numbers, etc. Not putting down Yorks but others work if you keep them oiled. I use my A/C compressor since other components failed. Puts out 120psi and works quite well.

Here is Chris' OBA conversion thread
http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?4145-A-C-Compressor-to-Onboard-Air

Brody
June 25th, 2010, 03:02 PM
Wow...no one will ever figure out that I actually deleted a double post....

Ardent
June 25th, 2010, 03:18 PM
Wow...no one will ever figure out that I actually deleted a double post....

What are you talking about??? LOL.

I really like the OBA setup on Chris' 'Cruiser. I'm just not ready to give up my AC. Not that it works consistently at the moment. That reminds me...

1freaky1
June 26th, 2010, 03:28 AM

Here is one thing about converting an AC compressor over to air like you mentioned is they need lubricated especailly the newer ones that run R134a, and you need an oiler to set this up, they look a lot like the filter/ moisture seperator. Use mineral oil for the lubricating oil. Oilers can be purchased very inexpensively at H Freight for something like under $20, running an airfilter/moisture seperator is always a good investment on an air compressor especially for winter use.

Brody
June 26th, 2010, 05:03 AM
Additional York into a TJ with AC, plus pulley information/source:

http://www.nwjeepn.com/onboardair2.htm

More York information, indentification, etc. Lots of information:

http://myweb.cableone.net/wdohrn/oba.htm

MelloYello
June 29th, 2010, 09:25 AM
The tank is just a CO2 tank from a restaurant that was used on a Coke machine. Slap on a regulator, hose and inflator/gauge and you're good to go. Mine has an anti-siphon hose that was put in so I can use it laying down and not have to have it upright.

Even a PowerTank will freeze up, but if you take out the valve stem cores, it will fill even faster and not freeze up. A 35" tire will fill from 12psi to 35psi in around 15 seconds.
Thanks for the info on how to get a set up for around $100, that is a MUCH better price.

Andrew
June 29th, 2010, 09:42 AM
Even a PowerTank will freeze up, but if you take out the valve stem cores, it will fill even faster and not freeze up. A 35" tire will fill from 12psi to 35psi in around 15 seconds.
Thanks for the info on how to get a set up for around $100, that is a MUCH better price.

Power tank has a liquid-filled regulator which is supposed to prevent freezing up - or at least it should be much better than the cheapo one I got. But they are freaking expensive.

MelloYello
June 29th, 2010, 09:54 AM
Power tank has a liquid-filled regulator which is supposed to prevent freezing up - or at least it should be much better than the cheapo one I got. But they are freaking expensive.

They say that, but if I leave the valve cores in, it will start to freeze up after the third tire and inflate much much slower. ? I prefer having a tank over a compressor, just because you can take it with you in any vehicle.

Brody
June 29th, 2010, 12:29 PM
I prefer having a tank over a compressor, just because you can take it with you in any vehicle.

Amen to that, not to mention the fact that they work great for small trim or drywall touch up jobs....

Red Rhino
June 29th, 2010, 09:31 PM
remote 12v compressor found on some early Caddies

I have been using these for years, dirt cheap and last a very long time. They came on many models of Caddy's, Old's and Buick's with air suspension. Colorado Auto Parks (Junk Yard) has about 10+ right know. The other good one is off Range Rovers with air suspension, plus they have a great air tank. They are harder to find.

Bryan

RidgeRunner
June 29th, 2010, 09:57 PM
Hey guys,
Lots of good points on this subject. As I understand the old york compressors were desired for the fact they had an oil sump and did not need to be oiled during use. We have been using the a/c compressors from Toyota 4 cyl for quite some time and yes they are fast and produce big psi. They do not have a sump and require an in line oiler. Problem is they are getting hard to come by in good condition and rem ones are tooo expensive.
I just installed the Via 450 system on my 4 runner. http://i966.photobucket.com/albums/ae148/daveztoyotaparts/new%20parts/viaair.png
I hooked the compressor up and tried to hold my finger over the outlet hole and with in 30 seconds I couldn't hold it anymore. I will be testing it this week end and I will let you guys know how it works. http://www.davezoffroadperformance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1114&p=9850#p9850

That's one of the options I had in mind and use a lower PSI switch or a regulator to run my ARB. Please post up after yo have tested it and let us know what you think!

1freaky1
July 1st, 2010, 11:19 AM
I just found two Lincoln/ Caddy 12volt air compressors packed away in the garage that I am not using if anyone is interested in them send me a PM they are very compact in size but are used for the air ride system. These are rated for up to 150psi. $10 and the pair is whom ever wants them.

Chris
July 1st, 2010, 11:21 AM
I'll take them Sean!

Fordguy77
July 1st, 2010, 11:54 AM
Dang looks like chris beat me to it.

Chris
July 1st, 2010, 12:13 PM
Dang looks like chris beat me to it.

I don't need 2 Chris, you can have one for $5 ;)

1freaky1
July 1st, 2010, 12:16 PM
Chris got them,

Dave I am not sure about the volume I picked them up a while back and tested them for operation and that is about it, I am sure the manufacturer has the info tho.

Christopher if I come across anymore I will let you know.

Redcreeper
July 1st, 2010, 12:31 PM
Dang office ISP. Just puked. So missed this one. can someone put menon that list to is another one shows up?

1freaky1
July 1st, 2010, 12:52 PM
Kenny I will keep you in mind if I run across any more!

Redcreeper
July 1st, 2010, 11:46 PM
thanks!

Dang ISP is still down...

BlackRubi
July 2nd, 2010, 08:23 AM
Same here!

Brody
July 2nd, 2010, 02:50 PM
My want to keep one of these for your own OBA, they are getting very hard to find used...

I just found two Lincoln/ Caddy 12volt air compressors packed away in the garage that I am not using if anyone is interested in them send me a PM they are very compact in size but are used for the air ride system. These are rated for up to 150psi. $10 and the pair is whom ever wants them.