PDA

View Full Version : MSV/Coney Flats open!

Rob
June 29th, 2010, 07:51 PM
I just checked the Boulder Range District's road status page. Middle St. Vrain and Coney Flats are listed as open. Must do run there soon.

Pathrat
June 29th, 2010, 09:42 PM
Cool, thanks for the update. If my half brother comes out in August, we are going to take him there. He has never been anywhere near dirt or rocks.

Jackie
June 29th, 2010, 09:58 PM
Good to hear they got it opened! When I did it last summer the hole was pretty big and we did have to pull a guy out that was stuck nose-deep. (It was an easy yank-backwards. No issues). I really enjoyed the hike and views that were at the top of MSV before you make the hard left for Coney. (Lots of camp sites up there too if you haven't been there).

I turned back the way I came, so Coney is still on my list!

Brody
June 30th, 2010, 06:46 AM
Good to hear they got it opened! When I did it last summer the hole was pretty big and we did have to pull a guy out that was stuck nose-deep. (It was an easy yank-backwards. No issues). I really enjoyed the hike and views that were at the top of MSV before you make the hard left for Coney. (Lots of camp sites up there too if you haven't been there).

I turned back the way I came, so Coney is still on my list!

If you want to combine a very nice hiking day with a wheeling day, pull into the trailhead parking at the end of MSV and hike in towards Indian Peaks from there. Absolutely beautiful, especially in another couple of weeks when the flowers really go to town. The lake at the top is usually pretty deep early in the season, so you may want to either check out our trail run reports and traildamage to get an idea of how deep it is at when the trails were run. We have done quite a few runs on this trail with near stock rigs, even though the lake has been deep, but this is something you want to know about. There isn't another way around the lake if you plan on running the trail end to end.

I couldn't make it through the hole last year in my heap locked x4 and ended up going around it. There were some Sammi's that did, though, with their shorter wheelbase and lighter weight. Everyone else got bound up...

Rob
June 30th, 2010, 12:54 PM
I couldn't make it through the hole last year in my heap locked x4 and ended up going around it. There were some Sammi's that did, though, with their shorter wheelbase and lighter weight. Everyone else got bound up...

The Longmont club was scheduled to be up there last weekend to fix the hole. I'm guessing they did, which is why the trails are open now.

Good question on how deep the pond on Coney Flats is this time of year. Considering the rain and snowmelt we had relatively recently, it could be as deep as it gets. One option would be to turn around and go back down MSV if it proves to be too deep. There's not much challenge on Coney after the lake anyway. All the fun stuff is between MSV and the pond.

Chris
June 30th, 2010, 01:00 PM
Snorkle time? I may be in!

Smash
June 30th, 2010, 01:11 PM
If anyone wants to join Monday.....

http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?10334-MSV-Coney-Flats

Pathrat
July 1st, 2010, 10:12 PM
The Longmont club was scheduled to be up there last weekend to fix the hole. I'm guessing they did, which is why the trails are open now.

Very cool! I hope they have before people started going around it so they didn't get sucked in. If the water level is an issue, we can wait until August.