PDA

View Full Version : July 10th - trail and some shooting??

Andrew
July 4th, 2010, 11:42 AM
Anyone interested? Not sure where to go that has a shooting area other than Lefthand and I was just up there, but...

Brody
July 6th, 2010, 06:25 AM
Well, I probably would be up for this if 1), I had something cheap to shoot and 2), something that ammo was a little easier to find for...

As far as places to go, most National Forests allow shooting as long as it isn't close to residences and posted campsites. We shoot all the time in the Pike National Forest pretty much anywhere and the rolling terrain in the foothills allows you to shoot into hillsides easily.

Most of the 'established' shooting sites, like LH are incredibly crowded and many of the people there do not acknowledge the fact that someone is actually downrange and do not like loaded or unloaded guns pointing at them, down range or not. I much prefer uncrowded shooting areas for that reason....

Andrew
July 6th, 2010, 06:27 AM
Yeah I don't like crowded areas either.

Brody
July 6th, 2010, 06:33 AM
Kelly Flats up by you probably has areas off the trail where you can shoot as a suggestion....Ditto with places off Moody/Crystal and Sevenmile...

Andrew
July 6th, 2010, 06:55 AM
Kelly Flats and Sevenmile are closed right now. Not sure on Moody.

SRT08BUS
July 6th, 2010, 12:56 PM
I've seen tons of spent shells up on Old Squaw Pass Trail and don't see people on it that much. Have fun and be safe, I'd say it even if you were not going shooting......man do I miss target shooting!

BlackRubi
July 6th, 2010, 04:05 PM
Why is Kelly Flats still closed?

Andrew
July 6th, 2010, 04:43 PM
"Road Damage"

Forget the fact that there is a bypass around the road damage, and bigger rigs can actually still do fine.

Andrew
July 7th, 2010, 05:56 PM
Nobody wants to go anywhere?

Chris
July 7th, 2010, 06:33 PM
I'm up for wheeling, not interested in shooting. ;)

Andrew
July 7th, 2010, 06:36 PM
Nobody has to stick around to shoot if they don't want to. Just would prefer a trail where I could, and was planning on that afterwards.

Chris
July 7th, 2010, 06:38 PM
"July 10th - trail and some shooting??" ;)

Didn't see anything saying it would be afterwards.

Rob
July 7th, 2010, 09:12 PM
I'm up for wheeling, not interested in shooting.

X2. I don't own a gun. Jackie, in her Friday run thread, said she might be up for JPR again, with Pole Hill thrown in. I'm up for that. RMH tried out a new shotgun on JPR last year, so there's at least one spot to stop and take potshots at a stump. I don't know if that'd do it for you, but it's a possibility.

Andrew
July 7th, 2010, 10:53 PM
I just want to get some practice in, but I can do that by myself.