PDA

View Full Version : Pole Hill-Johnny Park Road

Rob
July 7th, 2010, 10:54 PM
Name: Pole Hill/Johnny Park Road

Date: Saturday, July 10

Meeting Place and Time: 9 a.m. at Diamond Shamrock, 4206 Ute Highway (Colo. 66), Lyons (on the left right after the Colo. 66/US 36 intersection).

Directions: If you're coming from anywhere south of Longmont, come north on I-25, take the second Longmont exit (Colo. Highway 66 and head east. Just before you get to Lyons and right after you pass US 36, the station will be on your left. If you map it on Google, it'll show up closer to Lyons, at least that's what happens to me.

CB channel: Channel 4, as usual.

Links: Here's the link to Pole Hill on trail damage (you can link to Johnny Park from there under Nearby Trails): http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=188

The plan: We'll do Pole Hill first, then we'll do Johnny Park on the way back down US 36. Since the fun stuff on JPR is on the US 36 side, I'm thinking of doing just that half the trail, then turning around and doing that half the other way. The western half of the trail is mostly a bumpy dirt road.

Rob
July 7th, 2010, 11:15 PM
Here's a Forest Service map of Pole Hill:

And one of Johnny Park:

Some pics from Johnny Park:

And a couple from Pole Hill:

And you can see some vids on youtube of both trails, including this one of Kubo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYuS8APPE1c&feature=related

SubaCool
July 8th, 2010, 10:00 AM
Too bad I have a race on Saturday :frown: Figures, right after I say I'll be there if it gets put on the calendar :rolleyes: Guess I'll have to post it up at another date again. Pole Hill is a pretty fun loop, I'm sure people won't mind running it again soon! Btw, nice video :thunb:

Andrew
July 8th, 2010, 02:39 PM
So we are going to come out on the 36 after JPR right?

Fordguy77
July 8th, 2010, 03:50 PM
I think i broke the RSVP again. I tried rsvping and it gave me the same error as last time.
Warning: array_walk() [function.array-walk]: Unable to call array_lower() - function does not exist in [path]/showthread.php(2176) : eval()'d code(222) : eval()'d code on line 524

Smash
July 8th, 2010, 03:52 PM
:lol: Chris!!

Chris
July 8th, 2010, 03:57 PM
Nope, it's been giving me fits. Looks like I'll have to find an alternative very soon but it's working again.

You going to join us on Johnny Park/Pierson Park tomorrow Chris?

Fordguy77
July 8th, 2010, 04:05 PM
Nope, it's been giving me fits. Looks like I'll have to find an alternative very soon but it's working again.

You going to join us on Johnny Park/Pierson Park tomorrow Chris?

I'd like to! But sadly(not so sad though) i have been put back to work out at Coors. Which is awesome cause i get a 40 hour work week, but sucks cause no mid week wheeling. I tried to RSVP on here again and it told me the same thing. But Just so everyone knows i am a Yes as long as things go well at the DMV tomorrow.

Chris
July 8th, 2010, 04:24 PM
I tried to RSVP on here again and it told me the same thing

I really fixed it this time! :bang:

Added you Chris

Fordguy77
July 8th, 2010, 04:35 PM
I really fixed it this time! :bang:

Added you Chris

Thanks Chris.

Rob
July 9th, 2010, 07:43 PM
So we are going to come out on the 36 after JPR right?

Yep, that's the plan.

Fordguy77
July 9th, 2010, 10:02 PM
Some stuff has come up, so i am a maybe, if im not there by 9, have fun guys.

Rob
July 9th, 2010, 10:16 PM
Wow, the crowd's thinning out fast. There won't by anyone to take photos of me! :D

Jackie
July 9th, 2010, 10:30 PM
Such a fun trail! Have fun, be safe and post lots of pictures! OHHH... bring lots of maps or a GPS! I changed my avatar on other forum to be that of a " "Twister" game board spinning wheel. (left hand red, right foot green.....) because it is so easy and so FUN to get lost up there!

Rob
July 9th, 2010, 10:39 PM
because it is so easy and so FUN to get lost up there

Pssh! It's a lot like Coney: A few rocks, then it flattens out for miles and mile and miles. :steer: If I'm remembering correctly... :D

Jackie
July 9th, 2010, 10:50 PM
I haven't done Cony yet - but i believe you! (I think)! :D MSV was... ROCKY! I DO remember that!

Rob
July 9th, 2010, 11:53 PM
I haven't done Cony yet - but i believe you! (I think)! :D MSV was... ROCKY! I DO remember that!

OK, truth. Coney is rockier than MSV by far, but still not that difficult. But fun. :thunb:

SubaCool
July 10th, 2010, 12:19 AM
If I'm remembering correctly...
Good one :D But this time, you're right. There are a few spots that get a bit technical, but for the most parts it is pretty smooth sailing. The steep downhill ("my scary descent" ;)), the rocky switchback, the overlook, and maybe one or two more that I'm forgetting. Either way, a fun trail. Kinda sucks that this one lost so many so quickly, but regardless, have fun!! The upside to a fewer rigs is that it will take less time to run it, thus allowing more time for additional trails = more fun :thunb:

Andrew
July 10th, 2010, 08:16 AM
nm asdf