PDA

View Full Version : Ellis Jeep Trail

Brody
July 9th, 2010, 09:40 AM
We are setting up another Ellis Jeep Trail plus Hahn's Peak Trail for the 2nd weekend in September. This will be an overnight run with camping and will cover a lot of trail. The Ellis Jeep Trail itself covers about 55 miles of back country driving. Since we drive right past the Hahn's Peak trail, I thought that this would make for a good side trip.

This trip not only covers a lot of ground, but also a lot of different terrain at varying elevations. Expect cool weather with it being chilly at night. We ran this last year and found an abundance of camping areas with almost no people the entire trip. I ran almost the entire trail in 2WD, but that is my rig. There are sections of mud and sections of slick muddy road road especially if there has been some rainfall. Good tires are helpful. What we found was a beautiful and long trail that is very 'stocker friendly'.

Meeting time is going to be 8:00 AM
Meeting place will be Starbucks off of Wadsworth and I70, just north of the Lowe's on the west side of Wadsworth.

Directions: I70 west to Wadsworth north. Stay in left lane and go left right after you pass Lowe's at the Advanced Auto store. Starbucks in located in the stores on the right(north) side of the road.

Ellis Jeep Trail (http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=168)

Hahn's Peak (http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=169)

Our trail report from last year:

Last Years Run (http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?6670-Ellis-Jeep-Trail-ElkHorn-Whiskey-Park-Dunes&highlight=ellis+jeep+trail)

CB: Channel 4

Please note:
We didn't run into anything other than a light rain. The traildamage run, dated September 23 and 24 (Hahn's Peak and Ellis) shows quite a bit of snow, but all of the trails were passable. So, as with any Colorado outing this time of year, come prepared for pretty much anything.

Another point to seriously take into consideration is having your rig in good shape. Due to the remoteness of the trail and the distance you are from any paved roads or help, this isn't the place to have something go wrong with your rig, especially if it can be prevented by some decent maintenance prior to the trip. Carry spare junk on this one, even though the trail itself isn't very hard.

DETN8R
July 11th, 2010, 08:31 PM
Man I'd love to do this one. I'll have new tires by then too. Unfortunately I have plans that weekend.

Have fun guys.

Aaron
August 26th, 2010, 11:39 AM
I think we're going to be able to dump the kids on this one meaning a much easier, no trailer experience :)

Aaron
September 1st, 2010, 09:54 AM
A week and a half till this trip. I was so bummed not to get to go last year. Very excited about this year though....

sunk
September 1st, 2010, 04:15 PM
Im not sure if I can make this trip, seems like I have to many issues to deal with for a long road trip. Not looking good.

Aaron
September 2nd, 2010, 10:17 AM
I got the shorties a home for the weekend. Its just me and the bride!

Brody
September 2nd, 2010, 11:30 AM
Still on for this run. If anyone has questions concerning either the meeting time or place or is coming from the Springs or Ft Collins area and wants to stay with us Friday evening, let me know with a Pm or email: peterbrody4@gmail.com.

Internet access, thanks to Qwest, may they rot is a really bad version of hell, may their legs grow together, all their children be born with incurable boils and pustules, etc, etc, has been down along with our home phone line for over a week....At the library now using the internet that was supposed to have been fixed at the house Monday....right.....

Aaron
September 2nd, 2010, 12:38 PM
There are lots of maybe's on this one? Any more commitments?

scout man
September 2nd, 2010, 08:00 PM
I thought you had been a little quiet pete!

I would love to go, but I think its a really bad idea for me. too much this month with a wedding at the end of it.

Andrew
September 2nd, 2010, 10:36 PM
Damn...I'll be at a Rockies game.

SubaCool
September 3rd, 2010, 11:26 PM
Wish I've had a rig. I doubt I could talk Lisa into this...

Brody
September 6th, 2010, 12:51 PM
I thought that Chris and Barb, along with DrUnit were also going to go.....

Chris
September 6th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Hey Pete, I'm still a maybe seeing how things pan out with Barb's "retirement" the day before (or not) :confused:

Aaron
September 6th, 2010, 02:44 PM
Yeah. Dr lumberjack unit. Where's your positive response?

Rob
September 6th, 2010, 05:58 PM
Too many aspens up there. :lmao: Not sure I'd make it out alive. Sure is purty up there, though.

I never did RSVP, because I wasn't sure I was going to be able to make it. Too many things going on right now. I'm taking the following week off from work and will be spending it working on 40 and having it worked on. I want to get the driveline and pinion seal leak issues resolved before winter hits, and probably replace all the radiator hoses. I had a radiator leak scare today that turned out to be a loose clamp. But I think I'm going to just replace them all, along with the belts. I'm also thinking of finally getting a winch on it, now that I have an auxiliary fuse box on the way.

Brad
September 6th, 2010, 09:22 PM
I really want to go but have to work that day. :frown:

lovesdirt9
September 8th, 2010, 10:00 AM
Question about this trip, my dog sitter fell through, does anyone mind if I drag him along? Is this even a good idea with this trail? He's small, very nice, sometimes sassy (what teenager isn't right), and always on the leash. Good or bad I'd love the input.

Aaron
September 8th, 2010, 10:04 AM
Puppies are great. We are debating bringing ours. We probably wont just to save space but if that wasnt an issue, there's be 2 pugs on the Ellis Jeep Trail this weekend.

lovesdirt9
September 8th, 2010, 01:14 PM
Cool! Thanks Aaron! I didn't really wanna miss this! See ya'll Sat am! Can't wait!

Brad
September 8th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Except for Bill moore lake I always take our Min Pin Rosie. Neil keeps her in the back seat due to airbags up front. I have thought of getting her a buckle in harness for the rough stuff.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c112/flipswitch/2ddebf2d.jpg

I really hope you guys have a great time!

Brody
September 9th, 2010, 02:19 PM
Here is a link to the Starbuck's Coffee:

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&q=starbucks+coffee+arvada+Colorado&fb=1&gl=us&hq=starbucks+coffee&hnear=Arvada,+CO&ei=RkCJTNmAFpDuyAXz_K27Dw&ved=0CH0Q_wY&view=map&f=d&daddr=5545+Wadsworth+Bypass,+Arvada,+CO+80002-3159&geocode=CRTo2isoG2C7FbFAXwIdaqC8-SHe_dYN68fNEg&sa=X

5545 Wadsworth Bypass, Arvada, Co 80002

See you before 8:00. We have a bit of a drive, so don't be late. My cell is 303-507-3066, LaDawn's is 720-371-8798

Aaron
September 9th, 2010, 04:02 PM
Hoping the wife starts feeling better. This trip might be in peril for us as she came home sick from work today...

Aaron
September 10th, 2010, 10:50 AM
Wife is better. WE're still in!

lovesdirt9
September 10th, 2010, 10:57 AM
IN! See ya'll tomorrow AM.

Aaron
September 10th, 2010, 11:00 AM
WE just tested the ability to sleep in the back of the Jeep witht he seats folded down. Looks like it might work. Tent Free!