PDA

View Full Version : Camping

Mporter
July 10th, 2010, 10:55 PM
So i'm turning 18 in less than 2 weeks.

I was going to go camping soon thereafter for probably 1-2 nights. Im looking for something close to the Denver area, but am not above driving a little bit to make it worth it.

I'm trying to find a place that's not super populated, some place that doesn't charge a fee (probably just gonna be doing tent camping/car camping), slightly secluded, and light wheeling (probably a 3 rated trail max).

I will be going with some of my friends that aren't all that into wheeling so some place that has decent access for passenger vehicles/non 4x4's.

Any suggestions would be great as I can't find a whole lot with google as far as free goes.

Thanks in advance.

1freaky1
July 11th, 2010, 12:48 AM
Matt there are some nice areas up on Geneva Creek that are free and it is a nice easy trail to the lake. But you'll have to go up 287 to get there since Guenella pass is closed.

CR
July 11th, 2010, 08:54 AM
Just look at trail damage and usually there is good camping for free in the national forests. Just choose one of the lower rated trails (dirt roads) so your buddies can get there too.

AccordRanger
July 11th, 2010, 11:04 AM
I think Johnny Park is a good place to camp. Me and my friends have gotten Hondas, Saturns, and Oldsmobiles up there.

Brody
July 12th, 2010, 06:26 AM
Off of Hwy285, you have a lot of trails off of Kenosha Pass, just on this side. The trails are located on the Kenosha Pass /Tarryall topo-Fs 810, 811, etc. These start off either the trail head just before you start up Kenosha, or off of the FS road just before that, Very stocker friendly and a lot of trails.

The whole Guenalla Pass area from the 285 side is also full of stuff up towards the top where Duck Creek is.

Anything off the south side of Tarryall Road near Chinawall is also pretty stock friendly has has a lot of camping areas.

Pretty much all the roads off the south end of Rampart Range Road would also be a good bet, though some aren't very easy after they start to drop down hill.

Andrew
July 12th, 2010, 07:36 AM
Lost Park Road before you get to Jefferson on the 285 there is camping.

Nice camping on Rock Creek trail in Allenspark.

MelloYello
July 12th, 2010, 12:23 PM
Is camping "free" if it is not in an organized campground? Meaning, if you are on a 4x4 trail and you see "home-made" fire pits off the trail, can you camp for free?

Brody
July 12th, 2010, 12:26 PM
Is camping "free" if it is not in an organized campground? Meaning, if you are on a 4x4 trail and you see "home-made" fire pits off the trail, can you camp for free?

Generally speaking, anywhere in the National Forest that isn't posted and is 200' off the trail/road is open to camp on. BLM has their own set of rules...