PDA

View Full Version : Red Cone

Chris
July 15th, 2010, 11:46 AM
Red Cone - July 31st.

We'll do Red Cone to Monetzuma avoiding the sketchy section on Webster.

Meet at Safeway in Conifer at 9am - Directions( meeting): Hwy 285 through Aspen Park to Conifer Parkway. Right on Conifer Parkway , left at stop sign, right to Safeway lot.

CB Channel 4

Recent Report (http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?10461-Red-Cone)

Last Year (http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?6391)

Trail Damage (http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=9) Excerpt: Most people think this is a difficult trail, but really you can run it in any stock vehicle with 4-wheel drive. The entire trail is very easy until a brief part down Red Cone. It's VERY steep and often filled with VERY loose rock.

Southparkjk
July 15th, 2010, 09:07 PM
Just did Red Cone today was a good run. Webster Pass is closed with snow and a big rock and the washout just passed the rock. We went up Radical Hill and dropped back down in to Breckenridge by the way of Middle fork it was a long day but had lots of fun.

sunk
July 16th, 2010, 08:41 AM
I saw that video that Andrew posted, red cone cheating death....I dont think I would ever try this trail in my rig, is the wash out that bad? or was that a little older video?

Andrew
July 16th, 2010, 08:44 AM
That video was last year from when we went through. It's probably worse until they get up there and fix it again.

It looks worse than it is really - those switchbacks are pretty tame - it's only because of the washout that it's so sketchy.

sunk
July 16th, 2010, 09:07 AM
I dont know that "sketchy" is the right word...so is that on the red cone trail or webster? I suppose that if I wanted to run these I would take our 4 runner, it has a 3' lift and is a lot narrrower that my truck...

Andrew
July 16th, 2010, 09:24 AM
The sketchy part is on Webster Pass. Red Cone is fine, and you can take the other way down to Montezuma and out to I-70, which is usually the way that I go.

Chris
July 16th, 2010, 09:26 AM
This run will not include Webster, we'll go the Montezuma way Andrew mentions.

Chris
July 25th, 2010, 10:32 AM
One week before we run one of Colorado's coolest trails this side of Buena Vista, let's try to get some more folks to commit!

If you've never done it you'll be glad you finally did and if you've done it before you'll be glad to do it again!

:cheers:

http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4948&stc=1&d=1251657378

http://62ztxq.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pKTZwlnbnXnuyvz8njziIChhyNR76EwHISwZumGU4R-GdLmYj26UZSG1jcKxa5nD765VR5rUUPNbFbRlwYeOeZGfGVYho HWdS/4.jpg

Chris
July 25th, 2010, 01:10 PM
Good to see you making this one Ramack and DaJudge! :thunb:

AKAndy
July 26th, 2010, 11:48 AM
I've been wanting to run Red Cone for some time... Trying to move a prior commitment, but it's looking like I'll be able to make it. :D

Andy

DaJudge
July 26th, 2010, 01:34 PM
Good to see you making this one Ramack and DaJudge! :thunb:
My wife HATES Red Cone so I have a good buddy riding with me. A couple of rigs from Colorado4x4.org may join us too. I assume that's OK with you.

BlackRubi
July 26th, 2010, 02:21 PM
*SIGH* We just re-bid for shifts today. Being one of the new guys, I'm close to the bottom of the totem pole, so I now have a Saturday-Wednesday schedule (swing shift 2PM-10PM). The sad thing is, it starts this Saturday. Maybe, and this may just be dreaming, they'll give me Saturday off because I'll be getting off work at 6AM on Saturday morning. If that happens I'll have the wife drive up to the trail run and I'll sleep on the way. If it doesn't happen, I won't be able to make it. Was really looking forward to this. It's the wife's favorite!

Chris
July 26th, 2010, 07:42 PM
My wife HATES Red Cone so I have a good buddy riding with me. A couple of rigs from Colorado4x4.org may join us too. I assume that's OK with you.

You assume correctly! :thunb:

Play hooky Kyle, it's more important to keep momma happy than the boss. :D

Fordguy77
July 26th, 2010, 08:15 PM
I should be in, i am planning on finishing my staging for the ranger by Saturday, so this should leave Sunday wide open!

BlackRubi
July 26th, 2010, 08:57 PM
Especially pregnant momma!!! She said if I had to work, she would just go on the run without me. She spots good lines better than me. Just ask Aaron. He was behind us after the lake on Coney. Ash finished the trail from there or maybe a little after. She did quite well.

Chris
July 26th, 2010, 08:59 PM
She's welcome to come stag Kyle, just can't deliver on the trail. You don't want a kid named Red Cone! :eek:

Brock
July 26th, 2010, 10:06 PM
I was up there today for the first time and had to turn back after my friend got some door damage. Mind if I join?

ramack
July 26th, 2010, 10:28 PM
I'm building this one up for the kids too. Before I'm off to work, I ask them "Who wants to go on a bumpy trip this weekend"? And without hesitation all three thrust their arms up! I don't know who's going to enjoy this more me or the kids, ha! Mom gets a day w/o kids, ha.

FYI: There may be a friend from work coming as well in his Tacoma. Nice rig, he won't have any problems at all....

Rich

Rob
July 26th, 2010, 10:28 PM
Mind if I join?

That's what it's all about.

Go to the RSVP at the top of the page, click the "yes" button and hit "submit." Then show up Saturday at the right place and time.

Just make sure you call Chris "Mr. Stafford." He's big on that "respect your elders" thing. :lmao:

Pathrat
July 26th, 2010, 10:33 PM
Just make sure you call Chris "Mr. Stafford." He's big on that "respect your elders" thing.

DrOldUnit is a spring chicken, as his name implies. ;)

ramack
July 26th, 2010, 10:45 PM
Since this is my first trail run with you folks, I'm assuming we stop somewhere and eat our grub we bring along? Sounds like a good case for P B & J sandwiches, something light and quick?

Rob
July 26th, 2010, 10:46 PM
What, me worry?

Rob
July 26th, 2010, 10:48 PM
Since this is my first trail run with you folks, I'm assuming we stop somewhere and eat our grub we bring along? Sounds like a good case for P B & J sandwiches, something light and quick?

:thunb: That's usually how we do it. If we do it like last time I did Red Cone with this group, we'll stop in a nice open area before the long climb to the steep drop.

Brock
July 26th, 2010, 11:29 PM
That's what it's all about.

Go to the RSVP at the top of the page, click the "yes" button and hit "submit." Then show up Saturday at the right place and time.

Just make sure you call Chris "Mr. Stafford." He's big on that "respect your elders" thing.

Ha I'll be sure to do that. Hopefully see you guys Saturday at safeway.

Chris
July 27th, 2010, 07:25 AM
As Old Rob already mentioned it's fine to bring friends along, it's nice to mention in the RSVP so we know how many are coming so we don't leave anyone behind. The only caution is that anyone who calls me Mr. Stafford creates some seriously nasty trail karma - not a good thing to do before descending Red Cone. :erm:

Glad to see you're coming too DrOldUnit, driving the 40 I hope. :thunb:

Rob
July 27th, 2010, 12:22 PM
driving the 40 I hope

That's the plan. I'm going to trust the new steering parts will hold up. :eek:

Fordguy77
July 27th, 2010, 04:14 PM
A Frustration Saturday and Sunday working on the ranger.... Or 1 day or ranger pain, and wheeling the 60 all Day Sat......
Sounds like the second one is a better option! :D

Rob
July 27th, 2010, 08:58 PM
Go with Option 2, ToyotaBoy84. :thunb:

Chris
July 27th, 2010, 08:59 PM
wheeling the 60 all Day Sat

Yep, that's the smart choice!

Fordguy77
July 27th, 2010, 10:24 PM
Go with Option 2, ToyotaBoy84. :thunb:
You'll get that name changed yet wont ya rob?

Rob
July 27th, 2010, 10:28 PM
Tryin' to, Chris. It has a nice ring to it. :thunb:

Brody
July 28th, 2010, 03:59 AM
That's the plan. I'm going to trust the new steering parts will hold up. :eek:

Nice trail to do a 'steering test' on. You will probably have only a few seconds to realize what wasn't tightened down properly...:D

Seriously, though...wouldn't hurt to do a quick tighten down and recheck while everyone is airing down. Anything that you do to your suspension and steering should be rechecked after driving it for a bit anyway. I am always surprised at what I find that has loosened up when I periodically tighten all of my junk under my rig...and the inverse, too...surprised at what hasn't loosened up...Just set aside the wrenches you used and double check the junk at the trail head.:2c:

Rob
July 28th, 2010, 12:27 PM
wouldn't hurt to do a quick tighten down and recheck while everyone is airing down

Absolutely. I also will check everything before I leave home Saturday morning. And during the lunch break, too.

Chris
July 28th, 2010, 12:48 PM
And maybe once more before the descent?

Pathrat
July 28th, 2010, 07:29 PM
I am seriously considering going 90% likely but only if I can follow Chris down the hill!

Chris
July 28th, 2010, 07:36 PM
You've got it Stephanie! We'll see you there! ;)

Pathrat
July 28th, 2010, 07:40 PM
I drove down Red Cone in someone else's rig once. High pucker factor and it makes me apprehensive. But now that I have publicly mentioned going I won't chicken out.

Chris
July 28th, 2010, 07:44 PM
I thought you just didn't trust me to be behind you :lmao:

Change your RSVP ;)

Pathrat
July 28th, 2010, 07:49 PM
I thought you just didn't trust me to be behind you :lmao:

Change your RSVP ;)

That had NOTHING to do with it! Yeah, that's right, nothing :erm:
(:D)

Chris
July 28th, 2010, 07:53 PM
Hmm, I wonder if I should leave the 10 gallons of gas I carry on my rear bumper home? :eek:

Pathrat
July 28th, 2010, 07:57 PM
Hmm, I wonder if I should leave the 10 gallons of gas I carry on my rear bumper home? :eek:

Yes, please. No one needs to go boom, no matter how cool explosions are.

Metalhed
July 28th, 2010, 08:40 PM
remember that there is only enough room for a few trucks at the top, and most poeple want to take pictures while at the top

Rob
July 28th, 2010, 09:38 PM
And maybe once more before the descent?

Maybe even during!

Actually, I'm more worried about the carburetor on the climb up the long steep hill. I'd hate to stall out there and not be able to get started again. Stalling out going downhill wouldn't be a picnic either. So I might leave the 40 at home.

Robert B
July 29th, 2010, 03:52 AM
now that i know where to go still meeting at 9 yes?

Chris
July 29th, 2010, 07:30 AM
Yes, 9am Robert.

Rob, have you ever had any stalling on slopes?

Chris
July 29th, 2010, 07:30 AM
Yes, 9am Robert.

Rob
July 29th, 2010, 08:31 PM

Not yet, but I haven't taken on such a long, steep grade before, only shorter steep stretches. I might still bring it, just as long as the rig in front of me is one that can drag me up the hill if I do stall. :)

Chris
July 29th, 2010, 08:39 PM
I was going to suggest Winky since he did the Patriot last year but he says he's bringing his bike which may not be up to the task. :lmao:

I'll pull you up Rob, just bring the 40!

WINKY
July 29th, 2010, 09:00 PM
I need to replace the u-joints on the front axle. i would hate to have one bust on trail. passenger side is getting dry and tightening up. its a days job that ill do soon. plus i need to rebuild the turbo and chop the exhaust.

Chris
July 30th, 2010, 10:04 AM
Reminder: Since we're having such a great turn-out please be at Safeway by 9am so we can leave promptly!

Meet at Safeway in Conifer at 9am - Directions( meeting): Hwy 285 through Aspen Park to Conifer Parkway. Right on Conifer Parkway , left at stop sign, right to Safeway lot.

Most runs start at 8am but I like an extra hours sleep but don't want to be hanging around a parking lot past 9 waiting for stragglers! ;)

cfr
July 30th, 2010, 03:47 PM
Any guess on how long this run will take?

WINKY
July 30th, 2010, 04:06 PM
barring break downs not as long as last time.

Chris
July 30th, 2010, 04:26 PM
Since we won't be manhandling a Patriot the whole way it'll be much quicker, eh Randy?

I have no idea Charles, I only did it that one time last year. Maybe a couple of the folks that did it in the last few weeks could tell you. I recall that both Metalhed and Southparkjk did it and may have a time frame that you could judge by. Of course we have a pretty good sized group that'll slow things down too.

CR
July 30th, 2010, 06:38 PM
Have fun everybody and be safe!
Wish we could join you, but we're finishing the big move. Hopefully we can make the next coney run.:)

Pathrat
July 30th, 2010, 06:56 PM
Stupid question here. Would you engage your locking differential going down this hill? I can't figure out if that is a good idea or a really bad one. Thanks.

Chris
July 30th, 2010, 07:00 PM
As a guy with less sophisticated equipment all I can suggest is to do whatever you do to get in the lowest gear you can and idle down the descent using brakes gently if/when needed.

KnuckleHead
July 30th, 2010, 07:01 PM
Wish I could make this run. Sounds like a good one to go on but I have a cracked Flywheel and wont take that chance. Hope the rest of you all have a good fun and safe trip.... Those of us not going will be here waiting for the pix

Rob
July 30th, 2010, 07:37 PM
Would you engage your locking differential going down this hill? I can't figure out if that is a good idea or a really bad one. Thanks.

I didn't lock the rear when I went down it in the FJC. I think it would not be a good idea. It wouldn't make you go any slower, and it might make your rear want to slide out. Not a good thing to happen on Red Cone.

Pathrat
July 30th, 2010, 07:50 PM
Thanks guys.

DrOldUnit: we are geared exactly the same with the same tires. How often did you find yourself on the brakes?

Rob
July 30th, 2010, 08:12 PM
Not much and just feathered them. You really don't want to try to stop or hit the brakes hard on the steepest parts.

I think I went down in first and remember thinking it might have been better in second. Just remember, if you feel you rearend starting to slide or get squirrelly, just give it a touch of gas.

Pathrat
July 30th, 2010, 08:54 PM
If you feel you rearend starting to slide, just give it a touch.

We aren't going sledding you know.

Rob
July 30th, 2010, 09:33 PM
:lol::lol: Ya got me.

You could call going down Red Cone sledding. :thunb:

WINKY
July 30th, 2010, 11:13 PM
or you could do like me, put the clutch in and coast all the way down... :D

Metalhed
July 30th, 2010, 11:36 PM
took us, in two trucks, 2 hours-- start to finish

I always go into low and low and pull the ebrake about 3 clicks

WINKY
July 31st, 2010, 07:34 AM
im out the door in 15 minutes YAY

WINKY
July 31st, 2010, 08:31 AM
im here yay!!!

Chris
July 31st, 2010, 08:55 PM
Report thread -> http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?10581-Red-Cone-7-31-2010