PDA

View Full Version : Have I ever driven my Ranger in 4WD?

Gate Monkey
July 17th, 2010, 12:41 PM
So on my last run on Barbour and Devil's Canyon I had a lot of trouble getting up hills and over obstacles in my stock Ranger. This was on the last trail clean up and my camping trip on barbour the night before. I even had to get strapped up the steep hill on Barbour twice by the F150 that was with me. I had been up that hill a couple times before without too much trouble in the past...But it has become a lot more dug out and difficult over the last two years. Anyway, on Devil's Canyon I could not go up steeper hills with out a good running start. Fordboy and Roo both pointed out that it looked as though my 4WD was not engaged. I had to agree with them and it turns out they were right.

I took the Ranger to L & R automotive in Arvada to get it checked out. They are a Ford shop on Ralston in Arvada. First thing they asked me was, does the 4WD and 4WD Low indicator lights illuminate on the dash? I responded, "It has those lights? I have never seen them on." So at that point I thought it was entirely possible that I have never wheeled my Ranger in 4WD.

L&R scanned the system for DTC codes and could not find any codes. The scanner was unable to communicate with the vehicle in 4WD test mode. They checked all the fuses and connections. They put on a different tranfer case shift motor, still no change, so they guessed the problem was with the 4X4 electronic shift module. They replaced the module and that fixed the problem. So now the dash indicator lights engage and it seems that 4WD is working properly now. I will test off road as soon as I have the opportunity. I look forward to trying out the Ranger on a trail in 4WD possibly since the first time I have owned it. Apparently all I have done to date is run Barbour Forks X 4, Devil's Canyon, and Yankee Hill in 2WD. I thought I should have gotten better performance, but as a novice, I did not know why I had such problems with easy trails in the past. As far as L&R, they are very thorough provide good service, although I think they are a little expensive.

Chris
July 17th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Time to wheel it now that you have 4WD Hugh! Glad you got it fixed, it'll be quite noticeable I'm sure!

1freaky1
July 17th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Hugh good to here you got it fixed, I need to do something with mine because when I turn the switch it goes into 4h good but soooooo slooooooow going in and out of 4L. I just need to get my but in gear and get it switched over to manual shift sooooooon. You will see quite a difference now and you will be suprised at that gas mileage when in 4L it actually goes up.

Speedwagon
July 17th, 2010, 06:36 PM
The electronic modules are, IIRC, a common problem on the Ranger/Exploders.

Fordguy77
July 17th, 2010, 09:39 PM
Hugh good to here you got it fixed, I need to do something with mine because when I turn the switch it goes into 4h good but soooooo slooooooow going in and out of 4L. I just need to get my but in gear and get it switched over to manual shift sooooooon. You will see quite a difference now and you will be suprised at that gas mileage when in 4L it actually goes up.
I just finally bit that bullet, as i still have yet to ever get my shift to the fly to work at all.

Fordguy77
July 17th, 2010, 09:42 PM
Glad to see you got it fixed!

Pathrat
July 19th, 2010, 10:28 PM
Gatemonkey was telling me tonight that he engaged 4-lo and is quite sure he had never before driven the Ranger in that gear before.

Still, not bad that he could still do some stuff with the Michelins and 2-wheel drive.

Brody
July 20th, 2010, 05:22 AM
Hey, I'm impressed! Seeing what he did in it, I just thought he was dealing with the vehicle's, not the driver's, limitations:D

Kidding aside, unless you have driven a few 4xs, you aren't going to be able to notice a difference. Once you have driven 4x4s for a while, especially off road, you get a feel for what it is like in 4 wheel drive. If you have never been in 4 Lo, how are you going to know that you are actually in 4Lo? You aren't going that fast anyway....

Anyway...glad it is fixed. Now Hugh can enter the off road world with a whole new outlook...

Gate Monkey
July 23rd, 2010, 02:25 PM
Thanks Pete... I am looking forward to seeing what the ranger can do.

Jackie
July 23rd, 2010, 09:36 PM
I know I'm in 4lo when I have to use the skinny peddle (and not the brake) to go DOWN hill. :D

Pathrat
July 23rd, 2010, 09:37 PM
I know I'm in 4lo when I have to use the skinny peddle (and not the brake) to go DOWN hill. :D

I wish I were geared that low!

Jackie
July 23rd, 2010, 10:00 PM
It freaked me out at first. Plus, if I'm in 4lo and leave the engine running while in "park", it drives itself away sometimes. Usually it happens on a slope, but I've seen it go on pretty flat terraine as well. "Emergency Brake" is essential unless I kill the engine.

Rob
July 23rd, 2010, 10:55 PM
I know I'm in 4lo when I have to use the skinny peddle (and not the brake) to go DOWN hill.

Well, we'll just have to get you on Red Cone, Jackie. :thunb:

Funrover
July 24th, 2010, 10:20 AM
I wish I were geared that low!

X2!! I wish also

Jackie
July 24th, 2010, 08:40 PM
I have a lot more to learn, I guess! I didn't see it as a good thing. (And I didn't mean to hijack this thread).

Pathrat
July 24th, 2010, 09:37 PM
I have a lot more to learn, I guess! I didn't see it as a good thing. (And I didn't mean to hijack this thread).

Come on, what's a FR4x4 thread without a little 'jacking? :)

cfr
July 26th, 2010, 09:37 PM

Sigh. That's why I want to pick up a Rubicon transfer case. All JK Rubicons come with a 4:1 transfer case and 4.11 gears.