PDA

View Full Version : Wheeler Lake and Twin Cone

Brody
July 19th, 2010, 07:18 PM
We are doing a trail run to Wheeler Lake and North Twin Cone (Twin Cone) this Saturday.

Meeting time:LEAVING the lot at 8:00AM

Meeting Place: Conifer Safeway/Starbucks (Denver folks) Anyone else : At the trailhead around 10:15

Difficulty level: Mildly modified stock and up (Traildamage rating 5-7)

Directions( meeting): Hwy 285 through Aspen Park to Conifer Parkway. Right on Conifer Parkway , left at stop sign, right to Safeway lot.

To trailhead: Trail damage directions or: Colo 9 from Colorado Spring to Hwy 285, then Colo 9 again towards Alma and Hoosier Pass. Left towards Montegomery Reservoir before the top of the pass. Trailhead meeting will be at the spillway parking before the actual trail due to parking constraints.

CB channel 4

Links:

Wheeler:

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=40

Twin Cone:

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=38

FR trail reports (one of many for these trails):

http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?6859-Wheeler-Lake-10-03-09&highlight=wheeler+lake

My cell number is 303-507-3066. Reception gets lost just as you head up into the foothills until close to Aspen Park. It is OK at the Safeway parking lot.

Chris
July 23rd, 2010, 12:50 PM
Sorry to see you're out Tim, now to see what Rob decides.

Trailrat99XJ
July 23rd, 2010, 02:29 PM
I'm bummed but such is life. It's funny how priorities change when you've had a year like I've had!! Anyway, you guys be safe and I'll see you up there soon!

Rob
July 23rd, 2010, 09:26 PM
now to see what Rob decides.

I'm gonna have to say no. That's too much asphalt driving for me right now, and I really don't want to get up at 5:30 a.m.

Chris
July 23rd, 2010, 09:45 PM
I can appreciate that Rob, hope you make good progress on the 40 tomorrow. :thunb:

Rob
July 23rd, 2010, 11:07 PM
I can appreciate that Rob, hope you make good progress on the 40 tomorrow. :thunb:

Well, tonight I finally got the frozen-for-28-years end cap off the drag link end and was able to work the drag link off the pitman arm ball. It took some serious grunting with a breaker bar and drag link socket, with liberal applications of PBB to get it to start turning. Then, for the first 10 or so turns, it sounded like a castle door opening in a Frankenstein movie. I was able to use a socket wrench for the final few turns.

I'll get the center arm pivot (or bellcrank) rebuilt and greased up Saturday, then remount it and bolt on the center arm. Then I'll get the drag link ends set up, with a liberal coating of anti-seize on everything. If that doesn't wear me out, I'll start attaching the rods and go from there. I'll let you know if I still need help on Sunday (likely).

You guys have fun.

Brody
July 24th, 2010, 05:43 AM
Dave and Karla Pritchett will be joining us and Bren will be trying to meet up with us for the Twin Cone part of the trip. Jason and Tina may be coming too, but that is going to be very last minute. Should be a fun run.

Chris
July 24th, 2010, 05:45 AM
Morning Pete! I better roust Barb out of bed so you don't leave Conifer w/o us. ;)

Rob
July 24th, 2010, 10:08 PM
It's 10 p.m. and no trail report. Did everyone get back OK?

Brody
July 25th, 2010, 05:42 AM
We did. Chris and Barb were still rolling when they passed us and Todd and Mark were doing well. Dave and Karla left early on TwinCone and we passed Bren coming down from the top, so I am assuming that everyone made it back fine.