PDA

View Full Version : I'm sorry, you want how much for that rotor?!?

Speedwagon
July 26th, 2010, 08:53 AM
Just called advance auto, inquiring about front rotors, rear drums, and rear wheel cylinders for the Brat. I about fell over(as did the parts guys) on the price of the front rotors! $9.29! Yes, that's a whopping ten dollars! Couldn't believe it. I'm not a fool, so I told him to order them. He said that's the cheapest he's ever seen for a rotor.

Slightly off topic: If you had the choice, would you choose a 1 or 2 piece rear driveshaft for your vehicle? And why one over the other?
The driveshaft in the brat is currently a 2 piece, but the rear U-joint is showing its age. I already swapped it out once. To replace it, the shop charges $110 per joint, and puts in a serviceable joint. However, I could also have the 1 piece extended(with joints replaced) and put back in, for about the same price as replacing all the joints in a 2 piece shaft.

1freaky1
July 26th, 2010, 09:20 AM
I like 1 piece due to the fact less moving parts to fix, and D*mn that is the lowest prices I have ever heard of!

Speedwagon
July 26th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Well I opted to extend the 1 piece, it is at Englewood DS right now. Should be done tomorrow afternoon.

gm4x4lover
July 26th, 2010, 05:24 PM
one piece may be to long and may have vibration issues. I would do the 2 piece with the serviceable ujoints.

Brody
July 27th, 2010, 06:13 AM
Slightly off topic: If you had the choice, would you choose a 1 or 2 piece rear driveshaft for your vehicle? And why one over the other?
The driveshaft in the brat is currently a 2 piece, but the rear U-joint is showing its age. I already swapped it out once. To replace it, the shop charges $110 per joint, and puts in a serviceable joint. However, I could also have the 1 piece extended(with joints replaced) and put back in, for about the same price as replacing all the joints in a 2 piece shaft.

Watch the angles of the driveshaft. I know quite a few guys who have done Yota lifts and switched out the carrier bearings for a single one piece shaft. Whereas the single driveshaft does have less moving parts, the new angle puts the driveshaft right where it now is a rock magnet. On mine, I kept the carrier bearing and kept the driveshaft relatively buried and less exposed. The added benefit to that, for me, is that I now have a driveshaft that is almost the same length on the front and rear, meaning that I now only need to carry one spare. A lot of people who have seen mine wish that they had gone that route rather than the single longer shaft.