PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Annual Stockers Without Lockers - Bill Moore Lake

Aaron
July 28th, 2010, 04:23 PM
Lets do the stocker w/o lockers run Aug 28...

This is an annual run where we choose a trail which is stocker friendly that all of the stock rigs can go on. Thats not to say that modified rigs can't go. It's just that we plan the run around stock rigs.

Trail Damage: http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=12

Meeting Place: Safeway in Idaho Springs (a block from the McDonalds that gets too crowded)

Meeting Time: 9am

CB Channel 4

Aaron
July 28th, 2010, 04:24 PM
Where do we usually meet for this trail?

Brody
July 28th, 2010, 04:55 PM
Downieville Starbucks is about the best place.

Chris
July 28th, 2010, 05:32 PM
I put Safeway in Idaho Springs a bit ago.

Warrlord
July 28th, 2010, 06:28 PM
Just to let you guys know, there's a pretty large group planning a run there that day, mostly from Full Size Bronco.com. Just a courtesy heads-up to let ya expect a crowded trail that day :)

Brody
July 29th, 2010, 06:32 AM
I put Safeway in Idaho Springs a bit ago.

That's also a good spot. Kinda hard to miss a big grocery store, but it has been known to happen...

Robert B
August 2nd, 2010, 12:32 PM
i have a Q on this one , trail damage says it connects to Red elephant hill and mill creek and it is good to run those 3 in 1 shot would that be the plan or just doing the 1 trail? :erm: oh and uhh what time would we meet ??

cfr
August 3rd, 2010, 09:07 PM
Need to be clear on this one so nobody gets surprised... Is 4Lo required?

Brody
August 4th, 2010, 06:14 AM
i have a Q on this one , trail damage says it connects to Red elephant hill and mill creek and it is good to run those 3 in 1 shot would that be the plan or just doing the 1 trail? :erm: oh and uhh what time would we meet ??

I think that the other trails are left up to the people on the run as an option. There are probably going to be folks on the run with plans later on. Mill Creek is harder than the Mill Lake trail and Red Elephant is a bit harder than that. All can be done with a stock rig, though. There is an off camber section on Mill Creek that is tricky, especially for a stock rig, but it is easily navigated with some good spotting. Red Elephant is very rocky and steep, with one narrow section that needs some good driving to get around.

As far as a low range, I would say that it would be very beneficial, especially on Red Elephant. I don't know how other folks drive off road, but I almost always drive off road trails in my low range as it saves wear and tear on all of the drivetrain components. After all, you aren't going that fast, and you need the power curve rather than the speed.

Aaron
August 4th, 2010, 06:26 AM
Me too. 4-Lo is my default trail mode. Keeps things nice and slow.

Brad
August 10th, 2010, 04:32 PM
Maybe I am blind, but I still do not see a time to meet posted.

Chris
August 10th, 2010, 05:15 PM
Good point Brad, I made the Meeting Time: 9am

If that's not good Aaron let me know.

Brad
August 11th, 2010, 08:20 AM
Works for me! :thunb:

Aaron
August 11th, 2010, 11:37 AM
You're not going Chris?

Chris
August 11th, 2010, 12:38 PM
Nope, I have family from California coming in the day before and the day of the run.

Brad
August 11th, 2010, 03:05 PM
I am going to have to pick another you are attending just so I can meet you. :confused:

Aaron
August 11th, 2010, 04:15 PM
Anyone ever done this trail?

Chris
August 11th, 2010, 04:24 PM
I have :lmao:

No real info needed Aaron, follow the trail to the lake and come back the same way. You can look at any number of run reports for more details.

Chris
August 11th, 2010, 04:38 PM
I am going to have to pick another you are attending just so I can meet you. :confused:

There will be plenty more Brad. ;)

Rob
August 11th, 2010, 10:08 PM
Anyone ever done this trail?

I've done it a few times (once at a 45-degree angle :lmao:) and I'm hoping to be there. I really want to hit the Mill Creek loop again.

ramack
August 15th, 2010, 07:47 AM
How is the fishin' at the lake?

Rich

Rob
August 15th, 2010, 04:21 PM
Anyone else want to run the Mill Creek loop and Red Elephant on the way out?

ramack
August 15th, 2010, 05:38 PM
Regarding the alt runs, I'm pretty sure I will if I can make the initial run.

Rich

Rob
August 15th, 2010, 06:45 PM
Regarding the alt runs, I'm pretty sure I will if I can make the initial run.

Rich

Good deal. Those are fun trails and a bit more challenging than Bill Moore.

lovesdirt9
August 15th, 2010, 09:14 PM
Those are fun trails and a bit more challenging than Bill Moore.
Mill Creek & Red Elephant..... Is this something I can do Rob? (Honestly)

Rob
August 15th, 2010, 09:19 PM
I think you can do them, honestly. Mill Creek, as I recall, has some steepish, rocky climbs and descents and Red Elephant has one good obstacle of rocks that we all scraped on last time (except for an FJ40 that caught up with us on the trail). That's one of those obstacles that's easier for SWB rigs like yours and the 40. You might need some spotting here and there, but you can do it.

scout man
August 17th, 2010, 09:20 PM
Need to be clear on this one so nobody gets surprised... Is 4Lo required?

After running this trail, I would have to say 4LO is 100% required. To be blunt, I would not run this trail if someone on the trip did not have 4 low, as I know it would not end well. There are very steep uphill climbs on loose dirt and rocks. Honestly, my rig in 4LO (granted under geared) came very close to not having enough power to make it up a couple of the hills. I mean I literaly stalled out because I did not have enough power to continue forward. I dont care, as I can not make this run anyways, but I would suggest making a 4LO requirement. :2c:

Aaron
August 17th, 2010, 09:31 PM
Rob, we might so the extra trails depending on how late it's getting. Since you've done bill more before, do you mind taking the lead on this one?

Rob
August 17th, 2010, 09:37 PM
Last time I led Bill Moore, I ended up at a 45-degree angle in a mud pit. :eek:

But I'll be driving the 40 this time, so no problem. :thunb:

Chris
August 17th, 2010, 09:52 PM
Gatemonkey ran it w/o 4LO working didn't he?

scout man
August 17th, 2010, 10:10 PM
Gatemonkey ran it w/o 4LO working didn't he?

If thats the case, then I will bite my tongue. :bowdown: No way I could have done it without 4 lo, but I guess that doesnt mean others cant. I just remember the Patriot incident of last year, and that rig could not have run this trail.

Dirt Claude
August 18th, 2010, 08:31 AM
Anyone else want to run the Mill Creek loop and Red Elephant on the way out?

Rob - If all goes well, I'm up for it! I've run Bill Moore numerous times but never checked out the alternate trails.

1freaky1
August 18th, 2010, 08:36 AM
After running this yesterday I will say that it has gotten rougher since last year. And like Steve was saying on the steeper rock hills you do need 4 LO now, I killed it on the steeper hill on the loose rocks, now if you guys are running the loop to avoid the steep rock hills then it should not be a problem but they are getting rougher too as Chris and I both bottomed out on the rocks there.

Rob don't worry about the mud pit it has been filled in and that log that used to be there is now gone too!

Brad
August 18th, 2010, 08:38 AM
Without sliders am I good to go on the alt. trails? I would hate to destroy bodywork just before putting sliders on.

Chris
August 18th, 2010, 08:39 AM
If thats the case, then I will bite my tongue. :bowdown: No way I could have done it without 4 lo, but I guess that doesnt mean others cant. I just remember the Patriot incident of last year, and that rig could not have run this trail.

Sorry, it was Barbour Fork I was thinking of that Gatemonkey ran. :redface:

1freaky1
August 18th, 2010, 08:41 AM
Without sliders am I good to go on the alt. trails? I would hate to destroy bodywork just before putting sliders on.

There really is only one spot that you might come in contact with a rock sticking out the side of the hill but with good tire placement and watching your way around it you should be ok just got to take your time and watch what you are doing.

Brad
August 18th, 2010, 09:27 AM
Sounds good! :thunb:

1freaky1
August 18th, 2010, 09:49 AM
As for fishing at the lake, 1 it is not very deep and both times I fished there I never had a bite or even saw any fish coming to the surface, I do not think is really has any in it.

DKDunn04
August 18th, 2010, 01:00 PM
Just finished putting on my sliders, so i am down to do any of the trails.

ramack
August 18th, 2010, 01:22 PM
As for fishing at the lake, 1 it is not very deep and both times I fished there I never had a bite or even saw any fish coming to the surface, I do not think is really has any in it.

Thanks for the input.

Rich

Rob
August 18th, 2010, 10:03 PM
There really is only one spot that you might come in contact with a rock sticking out the side of the hill

Isn't that on Bill Moore? If that's the one I'm thinking about, it comes into play only when there's snow or mud.

You should be OK on the other trails. My memory's not great (I've run Mill Creek and Red Elephant only once), but the only place I remember scraping at all was on a rocky section of Red Elephant, and all the scraping was on the things like diffs and skids. Oh, and I extracted a large rock from the trail with a skid plate, so it's no longer in play. :)

1freaky1
August 19th, 2010, 01:52 AM
Isn't that on Bill Moore? If that's the one I'm thinking about, it comes into play only when there's snow or mud.

You should be OK on the other trails. My memory's not great (I've run Mill Creek and Red Elephant only once), but the only place I remember scraping at all was on a rocky section of Red Elephant, and all the scraping was on the things like diffs and skids. Oh, and I extracted a large rock from the trail with a skid plate, so it's no longer in play. :)

This rock that sticks out is right on a curve section and it is kinda narrow with trees on the opposite side of the road.

Brody
August 19th, 2010, 01:44 PM
Last time I led Bill Moore, I ended up at a 45-degree angle in a mud pit. :eek:

But I'll be driving the 40 this time, so no problem. :thunb:

And the mud pit was an alternative obstacle as there were variations around it...

Rob
August 19th, 2010, 08:21 PM
And the mud pit was an alternative obstacle as there were variations around it...

And I was trying to go around it ... I just wasn't successful. :lmao:

ramack
August 19th, 2010, 09:02 PM
And I was trying to go around it ... I just wasn't successful. :lmao:

Nah, I think you're just a kid at heart, ha.

Lookin' forward to the trail run.

Rich

KnuckleHead
August 21st, 2010, 12:22 PM
So I am really thinking that I might be able to make this run..... just a couple of things...

1. I keep reading about this steep hill.... I am CARB'd so how is this going to affect me? I really do like stalling out on a hill climb. I'm good to about a 40deg climb.

2. I see it as a 2 for the cliffs on Trail Damage.... I'm not real found of those either. Are we talking like one wrong move and down you do or what?

If you have any pics of it that would be great. The pics I have seen really don't show much of that.
Thanks

Jackie
August 21st, 2010, 02:15 PM
I ran it in October 2008 with the Colorado Jeep Club. If you want to see tons of pictures check out this thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f123/bill-moore-lake-10-11-08-a-617408/

A #2 rating on Traildamage is really low (meaning easy).

Jackie
August 21st, 2010, 02:33 PM
This rock that sticks out is right on a curve section and it is kinda narrow with trees on the opposite side of the road.

I think this is the rock you guys are referring to. It is (or at least was) much narrower than this picture shows. There is a bypass though. I didn't bang into it on the way up, but chose to take the bypass on the way down as did a few others I was was with.

Rob
August 21st, 2010, 04:34 PM
1. I keep reading about this steep hill.... I am CARB'd so how is this going to affect me? I really do like stalling out on a hill climb. I'm good to about a 40deg climb.

I don't remember it being that steep. It is a four-low hill, though.

2. I see it as a 2 for the cliffs on Trail Damage.... I'm not real found of those either. Are we talking like one wrong move and down you do or what?

I don't remember any cliffs, either.

Happy, you should be fine on this trail. I'm bringing the carbed 40. It didn't have any problems even on Red Cone and Radical Hill and I believe those are steeper than Bill Moore.

KnuckleHead
August 21st, 2010, 04:46 PM
Sounds good. I was watching some videos of Bill Moore on Youtube and it seems to be fine.... Thanks for the info. I hope I see you all next Saturday

1freaky1
August 22nd, 2010, 05:19 AM
I don't remember it being that steep. It is a four-low hill, though.

I don't remember any cliffs, either.

Happy, you should be fine on this trail. I'm bringing the carbed 40. It didn't have any problems even on Red Cone and Radical Hill and I believe those are steeper than Bill Moore.

Rob here is one of the steep sections it has a ton more loose rocks and some rutts now, not really any ledges or cliffs to speak of

http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=13087&stc=1&d=1278213188

And this is the old mud hole which is now almost flat there are just a few small rutts and the rock in the middle and no logs either!
http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4043&d=1246854873

cfr
August 22nd, 2010, 11:01 AM
As far as a low range, I would say that it would be very beneficial, especially on Red Elephant. I don't know how other folks drive off road, but I almost always drive off road trails in my low range as it saves wear and tear on all of the drivetrain components. After all, you aren't going that fast, and you need the power curve rather than the speed.

The question about 4lo wasn't for me, but was intended to set expectations properly so we could avoid the whole Jeep Patriot w/o 4lo thing again. To ask another way, do we think that the Subaru/Patriot/AWD/whatever w/o 4lo can do this trail without having to be dragged up every hill?

Maybe we need a designated AWD run.

Aaron
August 22nd, 2010, 04:30 PM
80% certain I still still be there. We took the Jeep back to Old Flowers Rd this weekend to test the new wheels, tires and lift. It was mostly a success. However, we have a pretty narly rub up front on the fenders. I need to get them trimmed sometime between now and then to make it.

Rob
August 22nd, 2010, 04:44 PM
Can you take the fenders off for the day, or do you need to trim the quarter panel?

AccordRanger
August 25th, 2010, 08:46 AM
Does anyone have some stickers they could bring? Side windows look bare without Front Range 4x4 on 'em.

Chris
August 25th, 2010, 09:00 AM
Who that's going for sure can hook up with me to bring stickers?

Aaron
August 25th, 2010, 09:19 AM
I can meet you half way if you want Chris. Perhaps at Drury Inn (NE corner of Peoria and I70) near 4WheelParts.

Brad
August 25th, 2010, 09:55 AM
Does anyone have some stickers they could bring? Side windows look bare without Front Range 4x4 on 'em.

Can I get in on that?:)

Chris
August 25th, 2010, 09:58 AM
I can meet you half way if you want Chris. Perhaps at Drury Inn (NE corner of Peoria and I70) near 4WheelParts.

That would work for me Aaron, thanks! Tell me when it would work for you.

Aaron
August 25th, 2010, 10:13 AM
I know it gets close to rush hour, but how does 4 work for you? I might be able to be there at 3:30 but I have a meeting till 3 that might go over.

Chris
August 25th, 2010, 10:28 AM
I'll let you know if that's going to work, hoping my EGR valve comes in today so I can be done with it.

Robert B
August 25th, 2010, 01:36 PM
well i found out i should be busy that day (tear) so i wont be able to go and meet you new guys and see ppl i know ( ramack, lovesdirt9, maybe fordboy77) so have Fun guys. i might try to shoot for the clean up run then, even if i cant drive at least ride with someone --edit: and i need stickers too someone should send me a pic of how big the sizes are and what colors you have lol

mushroomax
August 25th, 2010, 05:20 PM
I will try and make this, should know for sure by Friday. Probably just meet you guys at the trailhead since I'll be trailering the rig.

Aaron
August 26th, 2010, 01:10 PM
I got stickers!!!

Brad
August 26th, 2010, 01:39 PM
I want Stickers!! :D

Brad
August 26th, 2010, 01:41 PM
Jason, the guy I helped do his head gaskets is planning on being there as well. He has a 2000 D2 in goldish beige?
He has not joined here yet so just a heads up.

upnover
August 26th, 2010, 03:44 PM
That's me! see you at Safeway.

Fordguy77
August 26th, 2010, 03:53 PM
Just found out i am hauling Hay on Saturday. Stupid horses, hope to make another one soon.

Smash
August 27th, 2010, 08:12 AM
Everybody be safe and have a great time! Take lots of pics, I will live vicariously....

DKDunn04
August 27th, 2010, 08:12 AM
I have the doors off the Jeep now, and cant decide if I want to put them back on for a 20% chance of rain.....

Brad
August 27th, 2010, 08:42 AM
BE DANGEROUS! ;)

Aaron
August 27th, 2010, 02:27 PM
So, I get done with all I got to get done to go on the run tomorrow. I decide that I'm going to run downtown to go to lunch with the bride... Bammm. Something big hits the windshield. Big... Small shards are sitting on top of me... I can't get an appt to get it fixed before Monday. Since I can push the windshield in and out, I don't feel safe going on this run.

I'm out. and SERIOUSLY bummed.

Brad
August 27th, 2010, 02:34 PM
That sucks Aaron! Was it a Semi or ???

Aaron
August 27th, 2010, 03:31 PM
There was a semi in front of me so that's my assumption. I didn't see it though.

On a good note, I'm sitting at a glass repair shop so things are looking up.

Chris
August 27th, 2010, 03:32 PM
I was going to say you have plenty of time to get it done yet today! Good luck!

Brad
August 27th, 2010, 03:33 PM
I really hope they come through! I had the same thing happen on my way to the airport 1 day. Could not chase the dirtbag down, would have missed my flight.

Chris
August 27th, 2010, 03:34 PM
The guy with the stickers has to make it Aaron!

Aaron
August 27th, 2010, 03:44 PM
Yeah, I called 3 places before going home and no one could do it. After I got home, I called two more. Glass Doctor might be my savior. Sitting here now... Thanks tapatalk :)

DKDunn04
August 27th, 2010, 04:20 PM
Hopefully they get it done! I got skurred and put my doors on.

Jackie
August 27th, 2010, 04:37 PM
WOW! So sorry that happened. Glad you're OK and I hope they get the window replaced tonight.

Aaron
August 27th, 2010, 05:06 PM
Its done. I'm back in!!! Poor but in!!

Brad
August 27th, 2010, 05:28 PM
Sweet! Way to persevere! :thunb:

scout man
August 27th, 2010, 06:47 PM
Hopefully they get it done! I got skurred and put my doors on.

Wuss!! I'm running Spring Creek with my half doors. BUT, your probably really smart, seeing as I have never been on Spring Creek without getting rained on, and we are pretty much across the highway from you.

Chris
August 27th, 2010, 09:35 PM
Its done. I'm back in!!! Poor but in!!

:woot:

Glad you got it done!

Looking forward to the report and pics! :thunb:

Crazy Willie
August 27th, 2010, 10:16 PM
It's been a rough week, so I'm not ready yet, but I'm hoping to make the run tomorrow morning. Just depends on whether I get up early enough to finish getting ready. So, if someone sees an unlifted black Chevy Avalanche rolling on 35s pull into the Safeway lot in the morning, flag me down please, LOL. Hope to see everyone in the morning!

KnuckleHead
August 27th, 2010, 11:47 PM
Well we are out of this one.... This is the one weekend I don't have to work Sunday morning so we are going to go hit up Bunce and T-33A and camp out. Have fun and be safe everyone....

Chris
August 28th, 2010, 02:48 PM
3rd Annual Stockers Without Lockers Report -> http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?10779-3rd-Annual-Stockers-Without-Lockers