PDA

View Full Version : $10 Dual Battery Monitor

Chris
August 5th, 2010, 03:32 PM
After discovering my isolator worked the opposite as I wanted I switched to a solenoid and switch from 12volyguy.com. Pretty nice, I had hm make the plate the size of my ashtray opening since I couldn't open it due to my CB radio. Nice setup IMHO - operation allows the second battery to charge and not be used, it can shut off power totally to the second battery or jump the primary from another setting.

After re-wiring a lot of stuff and installing the solenoid I thought it would be nice to be able to monitor the battery & alternator from inside when I wanted to. I've seen plenty of people use the National Luna setup which starts at $75 but decided I'd do it on the cheap instead. $5 monitor from Harbor Freight, a switch and some wire cost me under $10.00.

Wired the positive to each battery and to the switch, common ground and then to the monitor itself. The switch sits in neutral, flip it down it shows the primary battery charge or alternator charging, flip it up get the same for the secondary battery. Tested and works. ;)

Rob
August 5th, 2010, 09:03 PM
Nice. You're a regular Red Green. :thunb: But where's the duct tape?

scout man
August 5th, 2010, 11:26 PM
hmm, I had been thinking of putting a second volt meter in my rig to monitor my second battery... but the toggle switch makes a hell of a lot more sense! Thanks for the idea!

1freaky1
August 5th, 2010, 11:53 PM
Good idea Chris, next time you and I get together I'll have to check it out, since I got my dual battery setup done I need something to do the samething in monitoring both batteries. I am thinking of going to a higher output altenator too.

CR
August 6th, 2010, 02:24 PM
Nifty!