PDA

View Full Version : Set of 33's for emissions test

Chris
August 9th, 2010, 02:42 PM
It's that time of year again. Anyone have a set of 33's to swap for a couple days? You get to see 35's on your truck. ;)

Ardent
August 9th, 2010, 03:12 PM
I'm willing, but I bet you don't want to come down to the Springs, huh? :D

Or I have a set of 29's that you can have. Toyota 15x7 rims.

Brody
August 9th, 2010, 04:30 PM
Last I heard was that the biggest tires they took were 31s, but I could be wrong...

Aaron
August 9th, 2010, 04:39 PM
The one up here will work with 33"s. But this reminds me, I should probably get the test before putting on the new treads!

Chris
August 9th, 2010, 05:51 PM

What are the rims off of Nate? I"m thinking about swapping off my aluminum.

Last I heard was that the biggest tires they took were 31s, but I could be wrong...

I'm pretty sure 33's are okay Pete but now you'll get me checking.

Rob
August 9th, 2010, 09:16 PM
I have some 31s (the stock FJC wheels and tires) you could slap on up here and go over to the emission place a couple miles away.

Chris
August 9th, 2010, 09:23 PM
That sounds like it may work, know anything about the place Rob?

Rob
August 9th, 2010, 09:25 PM
Only that it's the one I use for our vehicles, and it's the one that passed the FJ40. :thunb: It's about a five-minute drive from my house.

http://www.aircarecolorado.com/maps/longmont.htm

Chris
August 10th, 2010, 08:40 AM
Sounds good, I'll be in touch when I decide to do it. Thanks Rob!

Ardent
August 10th, 2010, 09:43 AM
What are the rims off of Nate? I"m thinking about swapping off my aluminum.

There just the factory 15x7 steel wheels from my '93 pickup, Nothing fancy at all. I forget the brand of tire, but they've just been sitting in the shed since I lifted the truck 3 yrs ago.

Chris
August 10th, 2010, 09:56 AM
Thanks, probably not the wheels I should have but thanks!

NCB
August 10th, 2010, 10:40 AM
Why not drive through one of the mobile test centers on the highway on-ramps?

Chris
August 10th, 2010, 11:13 AM
I tried that Neal, maybe I didn't pass using it. :frown:

transplant87
August 10th, 2010, 02:01 PM
u have to drive by them 4 times in 3 months

NCB
August 10th, 2010, 02:22 PM
From the Air Care Colorado website.

WHEN SHOULD I DRIVE BY THE VANS?
To meet RapidScreen’s qualifications, your vehicle must record two clean readings within a ten-month window. That window includes each of the twelve months prior to your registration renewal month, with the exception of the final two months. For example, if your renewal month is June, the cutoff date for passing your emissions test via RapidScreen is April 1.

Remember that unless there is a change of ownership, a vehicle is exempt from emissions testing in its first four model years.

Chris
August 10th, 2010, 02:46 PM
One was right by my house so I made repeated runs through it in the right time-frame. I've always passed on the quick pass so we'll see.

Fordguy77
August 10th, 2010, 10:23 PM

I am not sure if it has to do with the age of the vehicle or something else, but the emissions center over by us tested the 77 when it was on 33's. They just stuck a probe in the exhaust and put in N and ran it all off a rpm figure.

JeffX
August 11th, 2010, 12:14 AM

Or move to the Springs! We don't have emissions.

foxtrot
August 11th, 2010, 01:50 AM
Or move to the Springs! We don't have emissions.

win :) i love not having emissions

Aaron
August 11th, 2010, 12:41 PM
From the airCareCO website...

Tire Sizes and Dynamometers

Tires that are smaller than 17 inches or larger than 34 inches cannot be safely tested on the dynamometer.

Chris
August 11th, 2010, 02:32 PM
Had to see for myself:

Non-Standard Tire Sizes
Tires larger than 34 inches cannot be tested on the dynamometer for safety reasons. Nonstandard (not manufacturer-equipped) oversized tires will need to be replaced with standard-size tires for your vehicle in order to be tested on the dyne. This does not apply to 1981 and older vehicles, which are not tested on the dyne. Vehicles with non-standard tires of over 34 inches will be rejected from testing.

http://www.aircarecolorado.com/graykit.htm

Chris
August 11th, 2010, 04:27 PM
It doesn't matter what the site says, if the tires stamped 35 they won't test. Yeah, I 'discussed' it with the manager. The only thing I learned is only the drive axle needs the smaller tires so you can go in nose-high and meet the requirements.

Brody
August 11th, 2010, 05:31 PM
So Chris...since I have to e test the Jeepoid, you could run that through the emission as it has 29" tires or so on it, pay for the e test on the Jeep and call it good enough....What do you say? You will have the opportunity to drive a rig with normal tires, do the e test, and also drive a clean Jeep...

Oh...you will also have to come over to my house to get the Jeep, but the emission testing place is merely minutes away...

Chris
August 11th, 2010, 05:54 PM
Happy to do that for you Pete, just leave the keys in the ignition and I'll get to it within the month. ;)

southpaws3
August 14th, 2010, 07:25 PM
if anybody needs stock tires CHEVY 6LUG AND 8LUG give me a ring