PDA

View Full Version : FJC getting new rear diff

Roo
September 8th, 2010, 02:24 PM
So, I knew my truck was making some noise but I chalked it up to the tires. Then a few weeks ago I drove Jock's FJ(same exact tires although newer) that his doesn't make hardly any noise at all. So from the advice of another FJ friend he told me that Chris at Boulder Toyota has always taken good care of him. Keep in mind, I bought mine in Tennessee so I have never really needed or known of a trusted service advisor in CO. Anyway I go see Chris and he puts it on the rack and gets it into the air and says oh yeah there is alot of noise coming from that rear diff so we are just going to go ahead and order a whole new one since you are still in warranty, currently 47k it has a 5/60k on the engine/drivetrain/transmission.

Another note, there is also a TSB (technical service bulletin) on the FJ for a sinking height adjustment on the drivers seat on my FJ(which mine has fallen victim to outside of the 3/36k warranty). I did take that to another dealership(Stapp) awhile back and they told me it was out of warranty and their was nothing they could do about it. So I told Chris about that as well and he told me to call Toyota direct and tell them about it. Well Toyota said the same thing the first dealership did however told me to talk to the customer relations manager to see if the dealership could work something out. I told Chris this and he said that they would see what they could do for me on that as well.

Rear diff is being installed as I type this and I hope it is as quiet as a mouse when I get it back. So if anyone needs a honest and upfront Yota service advisor I believe Chris has earned my business.

Another note, apparently the rear diff's on the early build 07's has been an issue for alot of owners. There are multiple threads on FJCruiserForums.com about breaking them. Glad I took mine in while it's still in warranty.

scout man
September 8th, 2010, 04:24 PM
so did they ever open it up to see what you actually did to it?? I am curious. stripped gears? improperly setup? blown out spiders?

Roo
September 8th, 2010, 07:28 PM
I just got home with it! Man it's like a whole new ride! I asked if they found out what was wrong and they replaced the whole thing without really diagnosing it because it was a warranty. So they didn't tear into it all.

Rob
September 8th, 2010, 08:19 PM
I am curious

I recall hearing it was the early '07 models and it was poorly heat-treated gears.

scout man
September 8th, 2010, 09:34 PM
that would make sense to me

Roo
September 9th, 2010, 07:09 AM
I actually took a temp reading of the rear axle after about 20 minutes of driving before they fixed it and it was 135 F. I took it again after the diff replacement and it was 105 F. So their must have been alot of unnecessary friction.

I truly can't believe I lived with this rear diff noise for as long as I did. It is truly a night and day difference!

Pathrat
September 9th, 2010, 09:32 PM
Now I want to listen to your FJC. Mine has the seat sink and I should have addressed it before the warranty expired, but I didn't think it was any kind of issue. I keep hoping mine was not one manufactured with a compromised diff.

Roo
September 9th, 2010, 09:38 PM
Well, I am out of luck on getting the seat taken care of. I talked to Toyota and they pretty much said "your out of warranty sorry". Then the dealership called and tried to get a good will done and still no go.

Stephanie, you are more than welcome to check it out anytime. I don't think I am going to be able to make the trail cleanup so maybe another time.

Pathrat
September 9th, 2010, 09:43 PM
Thanks for posting a tip on a decent shop too

JeffX
September 10th, 2010, 06:59 AM
......apparently the rear diff's on the early build 07's has been an issue for alot of owners.....

'05-'06 Xterras have had an issue, too.