PDA

View Full Version : Herding Dog Warning!

RockyMtnHigh
September 13th, 2010, 10:29 PM
I started this thread from something I read in Aaron's trail report here:

http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?10903-Elkhorn-Mountain-Trail-%28Ellis-was-closed%29

Rather than hijack his thread, I figured I would start another one.

However, soon it stood up and revealed itself to be a sleeping, and rather annoyed to be awaken, white dog. Mystery solved as far as the sheep dog goes.

I have been forgetting to warn you guys about running into herds in the back country/open range. There have been numerous reports on the fishing forums about being chased by the white dogs, people also on mountain bikes, hikers and runners. I will have to dig up the links, but people have been mauled out by Vail while jogging and mountain biking. The dogs themselves, Great Pyrenees in a home environment are quite friendly, but when raised to protect a herd they get very little to no contact with humans with the exception of feeding time. That's a lot of pissed off dog to come across and from what I remember reading they are very aggressive out there.

There has been some discussion about defense against an attack and the BLM will stand with the rancher on these cases in the event that you kill/injure one, you'll be expected to pick up the cost of the dog, all training, vet bills and even food costs. On some of the back country trails they are posting disclaimer signs and warning against the herding dogs.

I understand the need for the ranchers to defend their livestock against natural predators, but I will be damned if I am paying for all that for defending myself against an attack on public land.

So just a warning to you all, be cautious when running into herds out there!

Haku
September 14th, 2010, 12:49 AM
Welcome to the Great Pyrenees breed. They are awesome dogs, but take their job very seriously. Don't recommend messing with a herd, just like you said.

I've been thinking about getting one myself actually, but not for herd protection. I love big dogs, and when they aren't in sheep protection mode they are great companions. From what I hear they are big barkers and kind of live their own life. By that I mean they aren't a robot dog where you just push a button and they do something (aka an Australian or German Shepherd or Border Collie), but do things at their own pace and kind of when they want to. I like a dog that can think for itself a bit, but thats just me.

Still, I wouldn't want to mess with one that is pissed off. Good warning for sure. I would say as long as you don't just jump right into the middle of a herd and start bodily pushing sheep out of the way, they shouldn't bother you too much.

RockyMtnHigh
September 14th, 2010, 01:18 AM
Yeah they are beautiful dogs, not just in the appearance sense either, lots of heart. I was bit shocked to read how aggressive they could be, especially knowing some people with them and how gentle they were. I was up in Pearl CO a couple months ago and drove through a herd of cows on open range, honked the horn and they moved, stopped about 20 yards past to relief myself and heard a growl, I saw one that didn't look very happy with me. This was before reading about them, I got back into the truck and drove further up.

I am willing to bet with the attacks I read about, the people involved saw a herd and figured they would just push on through and they would move, the not knowing dog saw that as a threat and pursued it. Of course, one of the stories I read said the person was patiently waiting for the herd to pass, so who knows.

Chris
September 14th, 2010, 10:55 AM
My brother has a GP and it's a lovable lug that detained a burglar that tried to cut through my brother's yard. The police called my brother to say thanks after they caught the guy who gave himself away when he "screamed like a little girl" when the dog put his feet on the guy's shoulders until the cops arrived. :lmao::lmao: