PDA

View Full Version : 4x4 Trail Talk

Aaron
September 14th, 2010, 09:53 AM
This is the best trail site I have ever seen. This is exactly what I wanted to build when I bought GoWheelin.net.

http://www.4x4trailtalk.com/forum/forum.php?referrerid=127

Check out Barbour Fork
http://www.4x4trailtalk.com/forum/trails.php?trailid=296-Babour-Fork&resultsmode=mapview

MelloYello
September 14th, 2010, 02:19 PM
traitor. :D This is the best site ever seen!

Aaron
September 14th, 2010, 02:21 PM
I mean as a trail resource. Agreed. IT does not replace FR4x4. It replaces traildamage.com

Chris
September 14th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Everyone is always welcome to add to our own trail directory. ;)

Aaron
September 14th, 2010, 02:38 PM
Alright. I get it. I wasn't showing the FR love this time. I do apologize.

Note that 4x4trailtalk is not a club like FR. It is a resource.

I'm a doohicky and whizbang kinda guy. I love FR4x4 and will continue to update the trail info as much as I can. I think it is a great online resource on trails. However, when I go on a trail run, I print the traildamage page cause it was a better offline, read it while on the trail resource. I think that this new site is better at the latter category than traildamage is. At least it is set up to be better and infinitely more interactive than traildamage.

In short, when I wheel, it is with you guys.

Chris
September 14th, 2010, 02:49 PM
:lmao: Not giving you a hard time Aaron, especially since you're one of the few that added anything at all. The reality is that It turns out that Trail Damage write-ups fall to the owner who spends hours on each listing herself from info she gathers or that is fed to her by members. It was my hope that members here would embrace the do-it-yourself concept. Oh well, it'll slowly get aded to as I have time as well as others when they get time.

Speaking of doohickeys and whiz-bang I'm posting this with my iPad. Despite what some people say it's one cool little machine!

Brad
September 14th, 2010, 03:31 PM
Seem a little defensive there Aaron! Maybe a bit sensitive too? :princess:

All joking aside. I do love that site. The trail damage site tends to have ALOT of pictures
of Jeeps and not enough pictures of the trail or difficult areas. I am planning on doing
some in depth trail runs possibly with a few like minded people on here who can help
document all the technical areas.

I am going to add that to my favorites! :thumb:

foxtrot
October 22nd, 2010, 12:30 PM
the gulches might be opening back up! http://www.predator4wd.com/halomegu.html woohoo :jiggy:

WINKY
October 22nd, 2010, 04:28 PM
I mean as a trail resource. Agreed. IT does not replace FR4x4. It replaces traildamage.com

you were treadin thin ice there noob! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA:D

Fordguy77
October 22nd, 2010, 05:45 PM
I actually just bought a new GPS and map software to be able to make records like that. I am going to be honest and say the odds of me making a write up are pretty slim. Its not something i am all to good at, but for the trail marking and such, i have enjoyed that since i am little, and may be able to make maps for all the runs i go on and will post those somehow.

Chris
October 22nd, 2010, 06:41 PM
I say post what you can/have/want to and let others fill in the blanks. It is set up to allow all members edit whatever is there. Editing includes adding to what exists so a map/route is probably the best way to provide a start that others can build on. ;)

Brody
October 23rd, 2010, 06:09 AM
Yes, a nice addition to traildamage.com. Personally, I like the trail damage site, even with all of the Jeep specific pictures, especially for people new to wheeling. With the pictures, you can get a very good idea if the obstacles that are on the trail and whether or not your rig is set up enough to tackle them.

Much like rock climbing, the more information the better (for some people), so doing some research and using all of the available resources is usually a good thing. I tend to do more research on trails I want to run than I even did for rock climbing because if I am not putting up a new route, I find that I climb better not knowing how hard an existing route actually is. If I look up at a route and it looks doable, then I will try to climb it, without the mental block of "Damn, that's really hard" (as if hard rock climbs aren't somewhat obvious....). Big walls are a bit different as you are way up in the air on a sea of granite and it is a bit hard to figure out where you are going, so these get researched quite a bit....

As Aaron said, this is simply another trail resource, there to be used. I don't think it represents loyalty or disloyalty to this site. Why that even came into the thread conversation is a bit beyond me....

Chris
October 23rd, 2010, 08:09 AM
This is the best trail site I have ever seen. This is exactly what I wanted to build when I bought GoWheelin.net.

http://www.4x4trailtalk.com/forum/trails.php?trailid=296-Babour-Fork&resultsmode=mapview

I'm not trying to put pressure on Aaron but as Admin and Head FR4x4Geek he has the ability to do the same thing as 4x4trailtalk, we use the same software that they are.

:thumb:

Aaron
October 27th, 2010, 07:53 AM
This site now allows for MVU (Motor Vehicle Use) overlays on the maps. Cool!

Pathrat
October 27th, 2010, 10:07 PM
[B]Very cool resource, thank you!

I can't post up reports unless I have taken notes along the way, which I have not done yet. Plus, I get lost easy and my mileage markers get all screwed up. If I run a trail a few times and don't get lost and do take notes, a report will be forthcoming for our trail section.

Aaron
October 28th, 2010, 06:04 AM
Actually, I checked. You can post up a trail as long as you can find the trailhead on a google map. I did it. Anyone can come later add the trail gps file.

Alec W
November 4th, 2010, 07:57 PM
Little bit of a disclaimer. I wrote this database and value any input. If you have any questions or suggestions please post them here and will be happy to answer them.

I felt I had to post in this thread but it isn't why I joined fr4x4.

Fordguy77
November 5th, 2010, 05:22 PM
Its a pretty cool site. I hope to add some to it this coming summer. I am going back to Minnesota to remodel one of my family houses, and while i was up there i plan to check out the Iron Range OHV park in gilbert.

Chris
November 5th, 2010, 05:26 PM
Wheeling the taconite hills! :thumb:

Fordguy77
November 5th, 2010, 05:27 PM
Wheeling the taconite hills! :thumb:

Yep! I'm Pretty Excited!

Chris
November 5th, 2010, 05:32 PM
I'm sure! I think it's time for me to go back for a visit. After Winter passes of course!