PDA

View Full Version : My spider-less gears

Funrover
September 25th, 2010, 11:12 PM
Well here are the promised pics. I was crawling up OCG and heard a POP.. Well I may have broken some crucial parts. The housing, ring and pinion are still good so I may keep the housing for future re-gear. I managed to find a whole new rear axle for a fair price, just had to pull it off of the rig where it sat. Justin at Redline is a great guy!

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh178/aaronwart/Rover%20Pics/DSCN3049.jpg

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh178/aaronwart/Rover%20Pics/DSCN3050.jpg

The Donor rig.
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh178/aaronwart/Rover%20Pics/DSCN3052.jpg

FYI - He has some great Yota stuff for sale right now

Haku
September 26th, 2010, 12:06 AM
Nice.

One idea for that is to just weld it up and use it as a Lincoln locker third. Clean it out as good as you can, find some nice small chunks of metal, and find someone with a welder that you can crank up pretty good and go to town. Ta da.....you're locked.

I do hear good stuff about Justin too, the work I have seen of his has been high quality and he sounds like a nice dude. This only reaffirms it.

Brody
September 26th, 2010, 06:30 AM
Cool. What Josh suggested you do isn't a bad idea. Then you have a spare.

Was this the first time you hashed a set of gears? I have no idea how many sets on different rigs I have gone through. You get a feel for the sound after awhile, and can go "Oh...There goes a set of gears...". My Yota is on it's 4th or 5th set of gears, excluding a set I blew up when it was an IFS with different gearing. I have probably trashed gears in ever 4x4 I have ever owned, which means many, many sets of gears in 40 years of wheeling. Can't say that you ever become fond of the sounds of gears going, but it isn't as bad or as terminal as snapping the main shaft in the T case....

If you Lincoln lock the trashed set, make sure that you use a 220 stick or wire as you wont' get a good enough weld with a 110. Also you might want to start to carry a very big magnet with you in case you lose a some gears on the trail. If you hear the familiar 'clunk', then stick the magnet somehow to the bottom or bottom side of the diff. The magnet will pull the gear pieces away from the the remaining gears and keep more damage from happening on the drive back.

JeffX
September 26th, 2010, 08:21 AM
Good idea. Fixed it for you.

Voila.....you're locked.

Funrover
September 26th, 2010, 10:24 AM
I thought about the locked aspect, but I still drive a lot on the road and tires aren't cheap

gm4x4lover
September 26th, 2010, 01:28 PM
Its not that bad, the xj is spooled in the rear and we drive it on the street alot as well as to and from trail.s

sunk
October 5th, 2010, 12:40 PM
Whats the story? Did you get the spindle nut socket? How bout the seal kit for the new hubs?

Funrover
October 5th, 2010, 05:46 PM
Whats the story? Did you get the spindle nut socket? How bout the seal kit for the new hubs?

I may have found another way to do this. A guy in Sedalia has hardened shafts for this conversion. I am gonna try that

Roostercruiser
November 3rd, 2010, 04:24 AM
At least you have backup cars , so you can do repairs at your cpnvience.

Brody
November 3rd, 2010, 04:30 AM
Its not that bad, the xj is spooled in the rear and we drive it on the street alot as well as to and from trail.s

Like Nick, I have been running a spool in the back of my heap for awhile. Since all of my rigs since 1970 have had either a spool or locker, I barely notice much difference, mainly a little more squeal on tight corners..