PDA

View Full Version : CJ7 power steering

Pack Fan
October 7th, 2010, 01:27 PM
Before I just go throw down a bunch of cabbage on a new steering box I thought I would run it by you people. Lately my jeep has been making a snapping or loud click when I am turning. I believe the noise is coming from the power steering box. I sounds like when you have a bolt that is not tight enough and when you apply force it slips a little bit and makes a cracking sound. I have checked all mounting hardware and everything is very tight. Since the sound is transmitted throughout the front corner of the jeep it is very hard to get an exact point but it definitely seems to be coming from the box.

Robert B
October 7th, 2010, 01:32 PM
i dont know if you can but im a big fan of taking things apart and looking inside on a side note its not the suspension making noise or anything else hitting is it . my nissan make some noise when i turn it fully but mine is the suspension parts

Pack Fan
October 7th, 2010, 02:11 PM
I am pretty convinced it is originating at the box. When I hold onto leaf springs, shackles. linkage, etc the vibration associated with the noise is most prevalent at the box. It would just kill me though if I installed a new box and still had the noise.

Robert B
October 7th, 2010, 02:21 PM
ok (and i am not super experienced ) but if the steering shatfs above and below are tight then i would say it is something in the box if you had one of those auto stethoscopes you could listen to it but if there is any way to check it go for it cause i dont know anyways :( good luck with it though

4wdhunter
October 7th, 2010, 02:21 PM
CJ's have weak steering box mounting brackets, so make sure that these aren't cracked. Also check to make sure that the frame is not cracked under/around the box. If you need to replace the box I'd replace the mounting bracket as well with something like the one from MORE if you haven't already.

And as Robert stated check all steering linkage to make sure it is not contacting anything. Before tearing anything apart have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth while you try to isolate exactly where the noise is coming from.

scout man
October 7th, 2010, 05:39 PM
maybe try taking the drag link off, and turning it while its more isolated. If it clicks, then you have your answer... if not, then it could still be the box. It might need some resistance to cause the problem.

Brody
October 7th, 2010, 05:44 PM
What he said about the frame cracking near the box, loose mounting bolts, etc, etc. Are you sure that there is fluid in the steering box? Sounds like a dumb thing to ask, but they do need a little gear oil from time to time. You should have a plate on the top with 4 bolts and a stud with a jam nut on it. Take the plate of and see if there is any fluid showing. If it needs some, it won't take very much and you will need to check with a jeep dealership to see what they suggest. It has been a bit too long since I had to mess with Jeep steering, and that was on a 74 Cherokee I had back in 1980 or something.

Here is a link for one of the many companies that sell upgrades for the steering: box upgrade plates, braces, etc, etc. It also shows a pretty good picture of the top of the steering box with the bolts (though not 4) and plate I was talking about.

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-steering-parts/cj5-cj7-cj8-scrambler.htm

If there are rag joints on the steering linkage, they also may be worn out and it would be a good time to replace them with Borgeson joints. When you have the front wheels in the air, check to see how much side to side play you have before the wheels actually start to turn. Adjusting the jam nut (back off the nut and turn the bolt/stud in clockwise) will help to tighten that up, but you don't want it too tight, either. Just turn it a 1/4 turn at a time, checking the play each time.

Anyway, just some random thoughts. Could very well be that the box is trashed, too. Go simple first....

scout man
October 7th, 2010, 05:47 PM
If there are rag joints on the steering linkage, they also may be worn out and it would be a good time to replace them with Borgeson joints.
X2!!! I learned my lesson the really hard way on this one!!

Jimmy
October 7th, 2010, 05:58 PM
All good suggestions. Had the mounting bolts on my old CJ8 loosen on a day one of a two day trip. An aftermarket brace that runs to the opposite frame rail was added not long after.

Pack Fan
October 11th, 2010, 04:50 PM
Thank you people. There are a couple things here I haven't done. I'll let you know.

Pack Fan
October 29th, 2010, 09:26 AM
Hey, i finally found it. (after I took most of my front end apart). The leaf springs have some kind of dirt or crap in between them and the torque when turning makes them stick till enough pressure is put on them and then they slip making a cracking sound. A screwdriver as a pry bar and a can of wd40 and all is good. I guess I should of put down a drop cloth. Now I have a different project. wd40 concrete stain extraction.

Robert B
October 29th, 2010, 10:31 AM
wd40 concrete stain extraction.
thats like a atain that tells a story :) my grandmas garage has all kinds of crap on it from tranny oil to spilled bear when angry at a stuborn part lol

Jimmy
October 29th, 2010, 04:02 PM
You can also pop the packs apart and give them a good cleaning and, if need be, replace the plastic slider pads at the ends of the leaves (if so equipped). I've heard of there being a teflon-like material/sheet you can add to the top of the leaf to help remove binding, but I haven't seen anyone try it to know if it's worth the effort.

Brody
October 29th, 2010, 06:42 PM
Hey, i finally found it. (after I took most of my front end apart). The leaf springs have some kind of dirt or crap in between them and the torque when turning makes them stick till enough pressure is put on them and then they slip making a cracking sound. A screwdriver as a pry bar and a can of wd40 and all is good. I guess I should of put down a drop cloth. Now I have a different project. wd40 concrete stain extraction.

Like Jimmy said, there are Teflon pads that you can put between the leaves, but most of them require that you have a prior hole drilled in the ends to accept them. You can get these at any spring place, like Midwest Spring or Denver Spring and they don't cost much. You will have to take the spring packs apart to install them.

Instead of WD40 which will only last a very little while, try using some white lithium grease or the PB Blaster garage chain grease. Both are spray ons, so you can get way back between the leaves. Another thing that I do instead of trying to pry the leaves apart, is to jack the side of the heap up on one side (if possible, or just do F/R) until the leaves are at full flex and already spread apart. Stab a bit of regular grease (a cheapo stiff paint brush works really well) at the very ends of all the leaves where the most contact is, and hose down all the other leaves with the other junk. This actually works very well and lasts quite awhile. I do this on my heap about 4 times a year if not more.

Engine degreaser, let it set for a bit and then hose it off. Best done when it isn't baking in the sun. This last for the WD40 spots...

Glad it wasn't the steering box. This never dawned on me....