PDA

View Full Version : Opening on the State Trails Committee

Aaron
October 19th, 2010, 01:46 PM
See the press release below. If you live in Boulder or Clear Creek counties, seriously think about joining this. These are the folks who decide if our trails stay open or not and what funding goes where. Right now, there are only two representatives on this on this committee who are there to help with motorized access to state trails. We need to get this ratio up! You have to have the application in by the 21st... (Rob, you should do this!)

http://parks.state.co.us/News/NewsRelease/Pages/NewsReleasePage.aspx

DENVER – Colorado State Parks is seeking applications for a State Trails Committee member to represent District 2, which encompasses Boulder, Clear Creek and Adams Counties as well as portions of Adams and Jefferson Counties.

The nine State Trails Committee members are volunteers, one from each of Colorado's Congressional Districts, one at-large representative and one GOCO representative. They serve four-year terms and may be reappointed to a second, four-year term. Members represent a wide variety of trail interests, (motorized and non-motorized) with the goal of working cooperatively for trails and greenways throughout the state.

The role of the State Trails Committee is to:

• Advise Colorado State Parks' State Trails Program on strategic and policy issues.
• Review trail grant procedures and funding programs.
• Provide a liaison with trail user groups.
• Help plan and participate in the Colorado Trails Symposium and other events.

To apply, visit http://parks.state.co.us/Trails/Pages/TrailsProgramHome.aspx.
The deadline for applications is the end of business on Thursday, Oct. 21.
|
Attracting more than 12 million visitors per year, Colorado's 42 State Parks are a vital cornerstone of Colorado's economy and quality of life. Colorado State Parks encompass 225,260 land and water acres, offering some of the best outdoor recreation destinations in the state. Colorado State Parks is a leader in providing opportunities for outdoor recreation, protecting the state’s favorite landscapes, teaching generations about nature and partnering with communities. Colorado State Parks also manage more than 4,100 campsites, and 57 cabins and yurts. For more information on Colorado State Parks or to purchase an annual pass online, visit www.colorado.gov/parks.

Chris
October 19th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Off hand I can think of Rob & CR being in Boulder County. I'm sure there are more...

Brad
October 19th, 2010, 02:17 PM
I wish I could do this!!

Aaron
October 19th, 2010, 02:19 PM
Me too. I saw that there are actually parts of Adams county that qualify as district 2, however they are not the parts where I reside :(

Rob
October 19th, 2010, 09:05 PM
I doubt I'd have the time to devote to this. And, frankly, there's almost no off-road trails in state parks (it's mostly hiking, mountain biking and some snowmobiling). About the only one I know of with four-wheel-drive trails is State Forest State Park west of Fort Collins and the sand dunes. If I were retired and had the time, though...

southpaws3
October 19th, 2010, 11:53 PM
do you have to live in these countys to be in these committees?????

Brody
October 20th, 2010, 06:11 AM
I'll have to take a pass on this. Like most government positions (and even our own HOA), people who tend to speak their mind and cut through all the PC BS to get to the point aren't appreciated by the majority. Since I tend to do this and don't especially care who I happen to offend in the doing/saying, LaDawn doesn't even let me speak at the HOA meetings.....:D

I also agree with the point being mentioned about the State Parks are more geared toward hiking and mountain biking trails rather to 4x4 or ATV usage. Almost all of the 4x4 roads are on BLM, state land (though not parks), or federal land.

Chris
October 20th, 2010, 08:59 AM
If you live in Boulder or Clear Creek counties, seriously think about joining this.

Yes, there are residency requirements.