PDA

View Full Version : more unobtanium

Robert B
October 20th, 2010, 03:16 PM
it seems that blazer gas tanks are also made of this material -.- how hard is it to make one ? i could get a new one for 150$ that i dont have so is it worth it or just buy a new one and not be able to drive or the next month or so :(

Brad
October 20th, 2010, 04:30 PM
You can either fuel cell it or buy the new one. Either way it is not going to be cheap. $150 for a fuel tank seems pretty cheap to me tho!

Robert B
October 20th, 2010, 04:45 PM
well i guess its like 140 plus oversize shipping charge and if i get a new pick up also its another 80$ and if i do get a new pump then whatever that costs added on but im going to try and junkyard a pick and the pump works currently so.....just need a tank :)

Chris
October 20th, 2010, 04:46 PM
Check Denver area yards, might find a used one up here.

Brody
October 20th, 2010, 05:56 PM
Must have missed something here. What is wrong with the tank you have right now?

Plenty of Blazers and Jimmys in the Pull and Pay at 64th and Pecos. I was there the other day getting something from some Fords and wandered through the Chevy section.

Hypoid
October 20th, 2010, 07:25 PM
A) Yards that even set gas tanks out have destroyed them because...
B) It is illegal for them to sell a gas tank.

When I bought a new tank for the Cherokee I paid $135, so your price for new isn't bad.

Mine was much easier to obtain. I paid for it on a weeknight, it shipped from Kansas City and was in my Advance Auto Parts by noon the next day. I didn't have to pay any shipping charges.

You might try craigslist for anyone parting another Blazer.

Chris
October 20th, 2010, 07:45 PM
Wow, I had no idea gas tanks can't be sold.

AccordRanger
October 20th, 2010, 09:22 PM
Weird. I have bought a gas tank from a junk yard before.

Patrolman
October 20th, 2010, 09:55 PM
I bought my last used tank about 6 years ago. I know now most don't sell them. They have to drain all the fluids from the cars. They just punch a hole into each tank and drain it. Most tanks don't sell used and it isn't worth trying to drain them the correct way.

Patrolman
October 20th, 2010, 09:56 PM
Here is one on CL for $60 if it is the right model

http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/1960594427.html

Brody
October 21st, 2010, 06:39 AM
It has been 10 years or more since I got a tank at a yard, so thanks for the update, Mike. I still see them at the yards, though, on the ground, under the rigs, etc, so I thought they still got sol

You found the same prices I did, so I am back to my original question....What is wrong with the tank that is on it?

31 gallon gas tank:

http://www.partstrain.com/store/index.php?VN=4294967240+4294966993+4294966323+&Nr=AND%28universal:0%29&N=0&Ntt=Fuel%20Tank

Replacement Fuel Tank (http://www.partstrain.com/store/details/Chevrolet/Blazer/Replacement/Fuel_Tank/1988/ARBC670105.html)
For 1988 Chevrolet Blazer (http://www.partstrain.com/store/details/Chevrolet/Blazer/Replacement/Fuel_Tank/1988/ARBC670105.html)

http://www.partstrain.com/images/product_images/logos/replacement.gif http://www.partstrain.com/images/product_images/thumbs/replacement/ARBC670105.jpg
http://www.partstrain.com/store/templates/partstrain/images/browse/zoom.gif Zoom

Features
Description

Features

Brand: Replacement Material: Galvanized steel Color/Finish: Silver Capacity: 31 gallons / 117 liters Dimensions: 28.75 x 28.13 x 12.75 in. Warranty: 1-year, unlimited-mileage warranty
$111.65

Robert B
October 21st, 2010, 12:22 PM
ah brody once i get back from my college classes today i will see if i can get a better pic of it but roughly half the bottom is dented in and the guy didnt disconnect the fill hose when he did the boy lift so the filler neck on the tank has a hair line crack that does leak ..i also think that is why he had to put a new fuel pump in since it smashed the bottom of the pick up unit a lil and that has a big 1/4 inch hole in top of it that he didnt plug up so good thing i didnt do a trail or i would have probably been on fire if no blown up since that big hole is on the exhaust side of the truck even i think you can get a crappy sideish view in the build thread but ill have to get a better one now that the tank is out for you to see

Fordguy77
October 21st, 2010, 05:20 PM
The 1/4in hole in the top of it might of gone to a return/vent line that goes into the filler-neck to help relieve the thermal expansion of the gas in the tank when it gets hot.

Robert B
October 21st, 2010, 08:44 PM
hes got the fuel pump wires going in it now and nope it has 4 of 4 pipes likes its wupposed to so i an thinking he broke a rubber plug for the wries or something and didnt get another one....although if me and my dad can pull the money out of somewhere i found a whole blazer for parts and a chunck of floor to weld in mine lol

Brody
October 22nd, 2010, 08:38 AM
What you are talking about sounds like a grommet is missing.

Since you are on a budget, here is what I have done to fix a similar problem years (and years) ago. I had dented a gas tank big time and also had one hole and a cracked filler neck, right at the base. I CAREFULLY cleaned (wire brush, sandpaper then alcohol or lacquer thinner)off the areas where the hole was and the crack, and then used JB Weld on them. When that set up overnight, I got a cheapo gas cap, got a tire stem from Checkers, drilled out the cap so that I could stick the tire stem into it, then filled the tank with air, blowing the dent out of it. Ended up not looking real pretty, but didn't leak, and went back into the stock location with no grief.

A couple of years later, I had a crack on the top of another gas tank in another 4x4 I had. I decided to weld this one. I drained the gas out, washed it out with water a couple of times, then filled it with water, following instructions someone had given me. I then proceeded to weld the full of water gas tank. The tank went up with a bang, sailed across and partway through the wall of the garage and I went the other direction until I stopped against something hard. No flames, luckily, but that was the very last time I tried to weld a gas tank. I wouldn't suggest this to anyone...

Brad
October 22nd, 2010, 08:47 AM
What you are talking about sounds like a grommet is missing.

Since you are on a budget, here is what I have done to fix a similar problem years (and years) ago. I had dented a gas tank big time and also had one hole and a cracked filler neck, right at the base. I CAREFULLY cleaned (wire brush, sandpaper then alcohol or lacquer thinner)off the areas where the hole was and the crack, and then used JB Weld on them. When that set up overnight, I got a cheapo gas cap, got a tire stem from Checkers, drilled out the cap so that I could stick the tire stem into it, then filled the tank with air, blowing the dent out of it. Ended up not looking real pretty, but didn't leak, and went back into the stock location with no grief.

A couple of years later, I had a crack on the top of another gas tank in another 4x4 I had. I decided to weld this one. I drained the gas out, washed it out with water a couple of times, then filled it with water, following instructions someone had given me. I then proceeded to weld the full of water gas tank. The tank went up with a bang, sailed across and partway through the wall of the garage and I went the other direction until I stopped against something hard. No flames, luckily, but that was the very last time I tried to weld a gas tank. I wouldn't suggest this to anyone...

Amusing story about the welded tank Pete.
Love in ingenuity of how to blow out the dent! :thumb:

Brody
October 22nd, 2010, 09:20 AM
Amusing story about the welded tank Pete.

About the only time I ever really got knocked unconscious from working on a rig. Fights, rock climbing/ice climbing falls, boarding, skiing...sure...but that one was a good one. A very basic WTF , waking up looking looking at the garage ceiling about 15' away from where I started out. Needless to say, that was the last time I tried that....

Chris
October 22nd, 2010, 09:35 AM
I'm on my way over Pete, bringing the used 40 gallon gas tank for you to weld for me!

Bringing my video camera too :lmao:

Robert B
October 22nd, 2010, 09:40 AM
its hard to show in the pics but

Robert B
October 22nd, 2010, 09:40 AM
oh and it is dented on the far back right corner in the one pic also

Brody
October 22nd, 2010, 09:51 AM
If that was mine, I would get some JB Weld and do the cracks and either see if you can rig a way to blow the dent out with compressed air like I described, or take a slap hammer like what is used for body work (less than $10 at Auto Zone, Checkers, etc.) drill a couple of holes and try to pop most of the dent out that way. Then just use either JB Weld to patch the holes or some regular gas tank repair epoxy to fill them. You might want to JB or epoxy some very short screws in to the slap hammer holes, too. Only so much you can do with a very limited budget, so I am throwing out the cheapest solutions that I can think of. Everything I suggested totals around the $20-25 range and some time...

scout man
October 22nd, 2010, 10:01 AM
Pete, Did the JBweld hold for you? I have never had a lot of luck with it in applications where gasoline was involved. It seemed to eat the stuff away in like 24 hours. I was also using it on plastic, so that could be the difference - I just always assumed that gas ate JBweld.

Brody
October 22nd, 2010, 10:43 AM
Perma Tex makes a very good quality epoxy gas tank repair that I just used on a Ford F250 gas tank. I have never had issues with the JB Weld as long as I prepped the surface well.

southpaws3
October 25th, 2010, 02:02 PM
X2 w/ brody !!!!!!! just prep the hell out of the surface. i've had my extra gas tank (18 gal) JB welded for 3 years now!