PDA

View Full Version : LubeLocker

AccordRanger
October 20th, 2010, 11:48 PM
Has anyone ever use this?
If it works how they say, it seems a lot easier than RTV.

http://lubelocker.com/

http://www.moabjeeper.com/articles/general/listing.cfm?articleID=266&submit=Go! (http://www.moabjeeper.com/articles/general/listing.cfm?articleID=266&submit=Go%21)

scout man
October 20th, 2010, 11:52 PM
easier, yes - cheaper, no - More effective, dont know, never had a problem with RTV really!

Brody
October 21st, 2010, 01:46 AM
I have used LubeLocker gaskets on a couple of different things. Big difference? Not really. Sure, you didn't have to clean any RTV off, but that has never been a big deal to me. RTV works and is cheap. LubeLocker gaskets work and aren't. What would I use the next time I need gasket stuff?

RTV. It is cheap. It works. I can get it almost anywhere.

Fordguy77
October 22nd, 2010, 06:14 PM
We use RTV all the time at work. We even use in in hightemp applications like steam or gas turbines. I seem to use things from work at home more often because that way it used at work is far beyond what it should do, and it still holds up. So in theory used in a application with less abuse it'll last longer.
In case anyone ever wondered, RTV stands for- Room Temperature Vulcanizing

Brody
October 23rd, 2010, 05:21 AM
In case anyone ever wondered, RTV stands for- Room Temperature Vulcanizing

Wow, Chris...aren't you just the mister with the mostest! Just kidding...Thanks for the explanation! I have never known, now I do, and it has been something I have briefly thought of a bunch of times, but never bothered to find out....

Fordguy77
October 23rd, 2010, 09:40 AM
Wow, Chris...aren't you just the mister with the mostest!
Haha, well when it really comes down to it, one of the things i enjoy most is knowing how things work. Ever since i was litter i have always been taking stuff apart just to see how it works(still do). I have asked questions beyond questions about this kinda stuff since i was litter, and because of work i am exposed to such a wide variety of things i love it. I am exposed to extremely cool machines and all that goes with it, and i ask even more questions now! One day i hope to be a Mechanical engineer with a minor in construction management. I wish i could do something with theoretical physics, i just don't think i have what it takes to be successful in that field. But what it really comes down to is, i am just full of useless facts and information about this kinda stuff lol

Brody
October 23rd, 2010, 10:40 AM
Hey....I thought it was pretty cool! I wouldn't call them useless facts. Useless facts, for me, is when someone starts spouting off about some sports "hero": their vital statistics, who they are married to, sleeping with, DOB, years they have played/driven/rode and for whom....and saying it all like they are good buddies with the person in question...That is worthless information.

I had a climbing partner like that: He would briefly meet some climbing "hero/big name" at some slide show, and then the next time I saw him, he would be spouting off about them like they were sleeping together. Totally stupid...I have also known a bunch of folks who do the same about drivers and golfers (not a sport) football players, rock stars, you name it. Hell, I met Big Ted Nugent once and partied at his house in Florida. Ditto partied with Alice Cooper in some hotel room. Am I "buddies" with them, or "good friends"? ****, I barely remember the parties.....Shows either what kind of impression they made or the quality of the medicinals.. (not Ted, though. What I remember about him was the fact that he was an egotistical dick)

Chris
October 23rd, 2010, 11:15 AM
:lmao: I partied with Ted too Pete, I guess he grew up in my old neighborhood. I agree with your assessment.

Chris, I think you'll find that you will re-evaluate your view on theorecitcal physics over time. I have found that time makes a huge difference and applying the theory makes it all much more real and easier to get a handle on how it relates to the real world. The ability to relate theory into reality along with the skill to explain the real world uses is invaluable.

I fall in to the jack of all trades, master of none. ;)

Hypoid
October 23rd, 2010, 11:35 AM
If it works how they say, it seems a lot easier than RTV.
Never been a big fan of RTV. Between the mess and the cure time, I'd use it only when necessary.

I finally broke down and tried "The Right Stuff" this summer: http://www.permatex.com/brand_right_stuff.htm

Because it had no cure time, and was non-hardening, I spent twice the $$$ over the other types of sealers on the shelf. I used it as a gasket maker, sealing metal to metal. After taking the pinion and carrier out of a home built trailer axle, I installed another carrier, sealed and filled, towed it 60 miles. The stuff works like a champ! It just might be my new best friend. :)

Permatex used to package and market a product called Hylomar HPF. I bought my first tube sometime in the late '90s, just now getting to the end of my second (?) tube. I've used it as a gasket dressing and thread sealer with great results. Since it also, is a non-hardening sealer, I've been able to finesse gaskets that didn't go on right the first time, R&R parts without having to replace the gasket. Since it has no cure time, I can put my vehicle into service immediately after repairs. The goo cleans up with acetone on a rag, no scraper required.

I've seen a tube at the Advanced Auto Parts, just need to see if it is thinned with acetone: http://www.hylomar-usa.com/_resources/_html/products.html

"The Right Stuff" sealed this, filled immediately with oil, no leaks!