PDA

View Full Version : New Addition To the "Family"

Medic-5150
October 24th, 2010, 09:16 AM
Just picked her up yesterday from Cedaredge, CO. The shelter there said she's 18 months and house trained, but based her inability to do anything but pee and poop on the carpet Brenda and I have decided she's probably closer too 6-9months old. She's a German Shepherd mix and we think she's mixed with Labrador, Husky and possibly Shar Pei...

RockyMtnHigh
October 24th, 2010, 09:44 AM
She's pretty! Give her some time, she maybe house trained and just nervous. :thumb:

We brought in a rescue dog about 6 years ago, German / Australian Sheppard mix, whoever had him before must have beat him pretty bad. With my wife he acts normal (happy go lucky) with me since day one he cowers and for awhile would pee all over the place when I would walk up to him. He doesn't pee anymore, but is still kind of skid-dish around me. I would like to find the a-hole who did that to him and kick his ass.:mad:

Brody
October 24th, 2010, 10:16 AM
and house trained, but based her inability to do anything but pee and poop on the carpet

What the problem seems to be is that she has been watching you too much. Get Brenda to start training her and I bet this particular problem goes away:D:D

She is cute, BTW....

X2 with what Jock said. I hate people who abuse children or animals. Seems guys are the culprits more often than not on both counts....and need to spend some serious time counting the holes in hospital ceilings...or counting grass roots..

Medic-5150
October 24th, 2010, 11:34 AM
I think she may have been abused as well. She doesn't like her collar being grabbed at all. She cowers and tries to get away. She was the same way with a leash but now that she knows the leash means she may go to the dog park she's OK with it lol

Brad
October 24th, 2010, 12:35 PM
She's adorable!

Our min pin we adopted from the Dumb Friends league as kept locked in the bathroom most of the 2 years after she was born.
A purebred from Lousiana born sometime in 2005 may have experienced Katrina at a young age. Nevertheless we have spent
alot of time making her feel at home for the past 3 years. Training has been tough but we are patient and she is learning.

As you know, patience and a gentle training method works best.

Medic-5150
October 24th, 2010, 12:40 PM
She's adorable!

Our min pin we adopted from the Dumb Friends league as kept locked in the bathroom most of the 2 years after she was born.
A purebred from Lousiana born sometime in 2005 may have experienced Katrina at a young age. Nevertheless we have spent
alot of time making her feel at home for the past 3 years. Training has been tough but we are patient and she is learning.

As you know, patience and a gentle training method works best.

How sad :(. I will never understand how people can mistreat their animals....She's already learned her name comes, and sits even she she's playing with another dog. We're retraining her in German and it seems to be going very well. She's incredibly smart. I've witnessed her undergo some basic problem solving twice already and we've had her less than 24 hours...She's way smarter than our other pit/lab mix lol. Gentle positive reinforcement training for the win!

Mporter
October 24th, 2010, 01:11 PM
Cute dog

Medic-5150
October 24th, 2010, 01:13 PM
Cute dog

Thanks!

Mporter
October 24th, 2010, 01:14 PM
Then again, im always a sucker for a german shephard (pure or mixed). That's what I plan on getting as soon as i'm on my own.

Medic-5150
October 24th, 2010, 01:17 PM
Then again, im always a sucker for a german shephard (pure or mixed). That's what I plan on getting as soon as i'm on my own.

Both Brenda and I grew up with them. We both want a rottie and a pit as well. Turns out people don't like either breed and our complex bans them lol. Yesterday when we stopped at the pet store to get Denali's collar, harness and leash some woman panicked at the entrance and told her son to let the mean scary shepherd come in first (it barked at her) lol.

Mporter
October 24th, 2010, 01:36 PM
People like that make me laugh. I wonder if they realize that most police agencies use them as drug dogs and stuff like that.....i'm sure they really hate them at that point too.

Brody
October 24th, 2010, 03:43 PM
I've witnessed her undergo some basic problem solving twice already and we've had her less than 24 hours..

Sounds like she is already smarter than at least half the population. There are some people who can't learn to think for themselves, much less solve problems, in a human lifespan.....

Rob
October 24th, 2010, 06:28 PM
she is already smarter than at least half the population

:lmao: Which half?

Pathrat
October 24th, 2010, 09:29 PM
What a cute baby!!!!! Good for all of you!

Pathrat
October 24th, 2010, 09:32 PM
X2 with what Jock said. I hate people who abuse children or animals. Seems guys are the culprits more often than not on both counts....and need to spend some serious time counting the holes in hospital ceilings...or counting grass roots..

You all who have been here a while know how I feel about this as well. Anything else I say would be incriminating.

Funrover
October 24th, 2010, 10:10 PM
Congrats!

Roostercruiser
October 25th, 2010, 01:52 AM
Way cute

Brody
October 25th, 2010, 05:27 AM
Which half?

I am not going to go there, but stupidity crosses all racial, gender, and ethnic boundaries...

Smash
October 25th, 2010, 12:37 PM
AAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!

So, have you named her yet?

You know how I feel about adopting... Thank you so much for doing so! You guys are absolutely on the same page as Karla and I on the issue.

Medic-5150
October 25th, 2010, 01:12 PM
AAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!

So, have you named her yet?

You know how I feel about adopting... Thank you so much for doing so! You guys are absolutely on the same page as Karla and I on the issue.

We decided on Denali (after the mountain) since we picked her up out of the mountains.

Both Brenda and I feel breeders should not be allowed to breed when there are as many animals in the shelters as there are. We also prefer the aggressive breeds that most people don't like and are harder to adopt. Hence a shepherd mix and a pit mix.

Smash
October 27th, 2010, 08:18 AM
Great name!