PDA

View Full Version : hub trbl

Robert B
November 5th, 2010, 08:09 PM
ohhhhh while rotating the tires i found that the previous owner decided to herculese tighten the lug nuts and while removing them stripped a right front stud smooth .. and i got new rear brakes since they were mostly gone....but whiletaking apart the hub the replace the stud found out that the final lock nut will not come out since the threads are chewed to hell a few turns off of tight...... thinking the guy over torqued the jam nut that sits next to the lock nut.....<edit> moreinfo oh and no one has ben in there for a while to grease it since there is abunch of crap in there and it has even got rust all over inside:eek: pics tomorrow

Robert B
November 5th, 2010, 08:10 PM
oh and it is real screwed up since we had to use a 5 foot breaker bar on the wrench to even try and turn it some ... then we stopped for the night and called it good ... once i break out the better camera i will get pics of the stripped things since mine wont focus that small very well

Fordguy77
November 5th, 2010, 08:15 PM
send me a text with a pic, and i will try and see what i can tell ya!

Hypoid
November 5th, 2010, 08:59 PM
send me a text with a pic, and i will try and see what i can tell ya!As I gaze into my crystal ball, I see Robert in a U-Pull yard wandering through the GM section. Wandering, wandering...

:D

Robert B
November 5th, 2010, 09:01 PM
As I gaze into my crystal ball, I see Robert in a U-Pull yard wandering through the GM section. Wandering, wandering...
actually im going tomorrow morn....... :p

Fordguy77
November 5th, 2010, 09:13 PM
As I gaze into my crystal ball, I see Robert in a U-Pull yard wandering through the GM section. Wandering, wandering...

:D

Dang your good!!!! Thats a lot more than i saw!

Robert B
November 6th, 2010, 05:14 PM
CRAPITY CRAP CRAP.......(yay PG13) well not only did the guy over torque the lock nut in the hub but he destroyed the threads on the old spindle and also destroyed the race in the hub and the bearings are prety much toast also........ on a kinda good note got spindles from the junkyard that are good and grabbed a extra set of axles since they were basicallly out anyway...... oh and if i had good photoshop skills my truck can levitate :P

pic 1 and 2 are the old spindle
pic3 the new spindles
pic 4 the spare set of axles

Brody
November 6th, 2010, 05:36 PM
Glad to hear that! Love it when someone fries a wheel bearing, races, etc, simply by not getting the torque right the first time.

Nice score on the axles! I always look around for crap I need that someone else has taken off....

Robert B
November 6th, 2010, 06:54 PM
simply by not getting the torque right the first time.
haha we had to chase the threads with the outer nut a few times and then still took a HUGE pounding fromt the impact gun to get the nut off i think he jumped on the wrench to tighten it ... oh and brody if you could seem to find some front springs that are 2 3/4 wide for the whole length that would help lol none of the trucks down here had them but 1 and the front bolts were frozen to the truck quite well

Brody
November 6th, 2010, 07:16 PM
Have you PM'd or called Bill (TonkaToy) at Englewood driveshaft? It wouldn't surprise me if he had some springs or leaves kicking around. Ed (Southpaw3) works with him and he also might have some. Nick GM4x4Lover) and Gregg (Colomil) are both down in the Springs area and they may be able to help or might have a few leaves lying about.

Robert B
November 6th, 2010, 07:21 PM
okie that will be my plan tomorrow ... thats starts the process of taking out the body lift :)

Robert B
November 7th, 2010, 06:03 PM
ok so the race on the pass hub was bad and it seems that the hub was asembled wrong... the spring was on the wrongs side wo it was always in the lock position....that also seems to be some of my wandering steering since it steers straighter now.... and since we are low on money we knurled the race mounting surface to try to get it bite but we knurled it overkill...... it is back together and runninng again also found a tiny vacume hose that was off and it runs smoother now by suite a bit that it is hooked up again... oh ans te last pic is 30 years worth of blowing up hubs and collecting the good parts:thumb:

KnuckleHead
November 8th, 2010, 12:55 AM
I still have the 10 bolts from when I did my 14 swap. Will need front breaks ( rotor, caliper and pads ) as I sold the brand news that were on it.

Robert B
November 8th, 2010, 11:45 AM
well the truck runs but the bad hub does run hotter than the other one..... so ill def be looking at happys axles to get better ones :)