PDA

View Full Version : Poker Night - Turkey Run (Rescue Mission) Benefit!

Aaron
November 10th, 2010, 09:55 AM
This is the email I sent to all my friends and neighbors. I want to have a bunch of food for the rescue mission so if anyone wants to donate food, clothing or cash (which I will spend on birds) and have a fun night of Poker at my house, RSVP!

Hey All,

This Saturday night (11/13) at 6:30 we are going to hold a very special Poker Night to benefit the Denver Rescue Mission. The Mission provides shelter, food, clothing and medical attention for thousands of needy men, women and children every year. I have a goal of bringing my Jeep and Trailer full of food and clothing to the Mission in a couple of weeks to help out with their annual Thanksgiving Dinner.

So here's the deal!
Texas Hold'em
We'll have 12 seats at the table.
If more people show up, we'll move those people on to the table as others run out of chips.
$10 gets you a seat at the table and some chips. This will be 100% of the prize money!
Bring a turkey and get an extra $10 in chips.
Get an extra $1 in chips for every 2 cans you bring.
Donations get you a dollar for dollar stack. Give $10, we'll give you $10 more in chips. I'm buying turkeys with the donations.
NO REBUYS! When you're out, you're out!
Bring 10 birds and you could be the big stack to start off with!
I'll provide some pizzas but as always, feel free to bring some more food and drink! We'll have a good time and give to a great charity! Be as generous as you can!

Don't want to play poker but want to join us and/or donate, come on over. If you cannot show up Saturday, I'm accepting donations (food, clothes, etc) at my house.

17624 E 99th Ave
Commerce City, CO
303-717-5344

Aaron
November 10th, 2010, 10:44 AM
I've called King Soopers and Safeway to get donations but it seems they need a Tax Id number before they will talk to ya... So I'm going with this grass roots approach!

Aaron
November 10th, 2010, 10:56 AM
It's probably worth bringing up that this is not a male only poker night. Women play (and very often win).

Robert B
November 10th, 2010, 02:57 PM
Women play (and very often win).
i think they use their powers over us men to make us let them win and we ahve no idea thae they are doing it:erm: i am really hoping that i can attend this ....get to know ppl and learn all the weaknesses of the new admin!!:thumb: now to see how ungodly far you live from me -.-

Robert B
November 10th, 2010, 03:01 PM
oh and the texas holdem is the same as the tv shows?? you get 2 cards and then the 5 cards for everyone are placed out (flop, turn,river) been a while since ive played any kind of poker lol

Aaron
November 10th, 2010, 03:02 PM
Thats the game Robert. Get up here. It'll be nice to finally meet you. And the new Admin has MANY weaknesses.

Robert B
November 10th, 2010, 03:03 PM
you live 80.82 miles from my house :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::frown:

Robert B
November 10th, 2010, 03:04 PM
it sucks i cant drive the blazer though so ill have to show it off when we do a run :(

Aaron
November 10th, 2010, 03:06 PM
80.2 miles of 75MPH road!!! Important distinction!

Robert B
November 10th, 2010, 03:08 PM
i dont care of driving time its the gas money lol the pathfinder gets like 15-18 mpg i think maybe probably less but if i dont do a big tear down on the blazer i will try my best to be there... oh and the .1 miles of my street are 25 MPH so bleh :p

<edit> ooh i like it better in KM its 130.06 then :D

Jackie
November 10th, 2010, 05:42 PM
I'd like to attend (and also play poker). I'd also like to go on the caravan run to the mission, but I will be out of town. Since you posted your address, would you please accept a check from me made payable to you so you can cash it and buy more birds? My husband and I give to the mission every year one way or another, but this one sounds fun and I'd like to see FR4x4 show up with the goods (even though I can't be there to watch)! Let me know and I'll get a check in the mail A.S.A.P.

Aaron
November 10th, 2010, 06:06 PM
Absolutely Jackie. I'd like to go buy a bunch of birds!

Jackie
November 10th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Thanks Aaron. I made out the check and it will go out in the mail tomorrow. (I've only been to one Texas Holdem' party, but it was a blast!) Have fun everyone... and may the best woman (or man) Win!:D
Also - thanks to the others who volunteered to pick up donations from me since I can't go. But this sounds like the easiest and quickest way for me to contribute.

Pathrat
November 10th, 2010, 08:11 PM
Very cool idea, good initiative! I will be in California though.

Patrolman
November 10th, 2010, 08:48 PM
I think this is an EXCELLENT idea! I applaud you for going the extra mile, literally. Unfortunately, with the :princess: still expecting our little one, I can't run off for a poker night. I will be doing my best to match the # of birds you collect though. We have 4 in the freezer at current count, with room for more. ;)

Aaron
November 12th, 2010, 08:11 AM
Here's an "It's Tomorrow" bump!

Chris
November 12th, 2010, 08:37 AM
You guys have fun, I'd be there but will be out of town. :cool:

Brad
November 13th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Sorry Aaron I could not make it. Worked until 5 then had work when I got home.

Aaron
November 14th, 2010, 08:17 PM
It was a great night. Anna, Robert and I all lost but in the end, it was a win.

We ended up with donations of about 7 birds, a whole lot of cans and almost $200 for more bird purchases.

Thanks to all who played and donated! Woohooo!

Patrolman
November 14th, 2010, 08:23 PM
That is AWESOME! Glad that everyone had a good time and for a great cause! Can't wait to see everything this coming Saturday!

scout man
November 14th, 2010, 09:06 PM
wish I would have been in town for this, I would have come!

Aaron
November 15th, 2010, 10:55 AM
That is AWESOME! Glad that everyone had a good time and for a great cause! Can't wait to see everything this coming Saturday!

Thank you Jeff for setting all this up. I wouldn't have thought to have the poker night if you hadn't set up the run. You da man!