PDA

View Full Version : Lockers in the future. What else?

Mporter
November 11th, 2010, 05:19 PM
So I am probably going to be getting a lunchbox locker in the next month or so (probably xmas gift :D) and I was wondering what else I should get to compliment it.

The locker is probably gonna be either a Lock-rite or Aussie (depending on which I can find cheaper), and I'm going to get another Differential gasket. Do/should I take care of anything else while I am back there? I'm not talking major overhaul or anything, just regular type stuff that I should look into replacing.

Thanks.
P.S. I did search :rolleyes: just couldn't really find anything other than to replace the gasket.

Brody
November 11th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Do the rear pinion seal as well if you want to. It is a cheap seal, but a bit of a PITA. Cheap insurance, at any rate. Replace the brake pads, and, depending on the mileage (and funds....let's not forget funds..) of the rig, doing an R&R on the rear axle seals and bearings will be a good thing. Mine are just now starting to weep a little and there is over 250k on that particular axle, so it isn't too big of a deal if they aren't leaking yet. Your call..

I have a 4 banger axle for cutting up if you want to use it for the rear seal and bearing replacement. There is a write up (courtesy of Volcom) that shows how to use the cut off axle housing for the replacement in the tech section.

Grab the long vac fitting out of a junkyard Yota EFI and use it to extend your diff breather. They have the same thread pattern and a nice long nipple for a hose attachment and are found on every Yota EFI plenum. 10mm and you probably won't even get charged for it. Works on the front, too...

I'll let some other people kick in their two cents worth, but that is all off the top of my head.

Chris
November 11th, 2010, 05:51 PM
I just did the dif gasket when I put in my LockRite in the 62 Matt. ;)

I have a couple still hanging on the wall you can have if you're in the neighborhood.

Mporter
November 11th, 2010, 08:43 PM
I have a couple still hanging on the wall you can have if you're in the neighborhood.

I might take you up on that. Granted it'll be a long time before I'm anywhere near your neck of the road soon. Appreciate it though, you too Pete.

Brody
November 12th, 2010, 04:45 AM
Here is a nice link for the pinion seal replacement. I have to do one of these on an FJ62 that is coming over to my place next week for a little TLC.

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/PinionSeal/8.html

BTW, when you just replace the seal, if you decide to do this, be very careful not to over tighten the pinion nut and to align the punch marks exactly the way that they were when you took the seal out. If you over tighten the nut, you can pretty much guarantee that you will be doing the same seal replacement in another 20k miles.

Always best to use a new nut, but this same seal replacement has been done many times without it simply by re punching the nut when it is torqued to specs.

And the stuff about the rear axle bearings and seals:

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/maintenance/rear_axle/wheel_bearing/

4runner freak
November 12th, 2010, 09:44 AM

I might take you up on that. Granted it'll be a long time before I'm anywhere near your neck of the road soon. Appreciate it though, you too Pete.

Chris,
I'll be out at our house in Aurora this weekend, if you're close, I'll grab the gaskets for Matt.
That will get them quite a bit closer.

4runner freak
November 12th, 2010, 12:58 PM
Matt,
I'll be picking up the gasket tomorrow.
Let me know when you want to meet up.

Mporter
November 12th, 2010, 01:00 PM
Thanks Danny. I'll give you a call or PM soon.

Chris
November 12th, 2010, 01:13 PM
Thanks Danny! Matt, I may throw a few other FJ62 bits & pieces I have lying around too.

Chris
November 12th, 2010, 02:27 PM
just took care of it - 2 dif gaskets, 1 CSI, and a small dash hole blank.

Brody
November 13th, 2010, 09:21 AM
Oh....and some diff armor. I have the FJ60 diff cover for a template if you want to make your own or adapt some TG armor. Let me know.

Mporter
November 13th, 2010, 09:39 AM
just took care of it - 2 dif gaskets, 1 CSI, and a small dash hole blank.

Thanks Chris. one question though, what's a CSI?

Oh....and some diff armor. I have the FJ60 diff cover for a template if you want to make your own or adapt some TG armor. Let me know.

Yeah that'd be sweet, maybe we could work out a deal on that Pete.

Chris
November 13th, 2010, 08:32 PM
Thanks Chris. one question though, what's a CSI?

Cold start injector Matt, toss it in the toolbox because someday you'll need it. I sure can't use it now.

Mporter
November 13th, 2010, 10:22 PM
Thanks.

4runner freak
November 20th, 2010, 06:15 PM
Matt,
I got the stuff from Chris' today.
Let me know when you can meet up to grab it.

Mporter
November 20th, 2010, 11:08 PM
Thanks. I'm working nights all this week and don't work Tuesday so just lemme know what day(s) work best for you.

Mporter
November 29th, 2010, 03:29 PM
Just placed the order for an Aussie Locker :D:thumb:

Brody
November 29th, 2010, 04:05 PM
How sweet is that? There are quite a few Aussie locker threads around with a lot of pictures for Yota installs. Let me know if you can't find one. There might be a couple in the Tech or Yota make and model section....I know I have an article in a mag , too kicking around somewhere if I haven't loaned the mag out....

Mporter
November 29th, 2010, 04:21 PM
Yeh there's plenty of stuff on 'Mud and I'm pretty sure Mike (WJJEEPER) put one in so I have some help here if needed. Hopefully this'll make a nice Xmas break project for me.

4runner freak
November 29th, 2010, 05:03 PM
Matt,
I can bring the stuff to work with me if you want to come grab it some day.
Let me know

Mporter
November 29th, 2010, 05:16 PM
How late do you work Danny?

4runner freak
November 30th, 2010, 07:55 AM
I'm at work until 5. (I forgot to grab the bag today, though)

Mporter
November 30th, 2010, 08:32 AM
No problem. Is that everyday? I could pick it up Wed-Fri (wed might be iffy because i might be in class for a while)

4runner freak
November 30th, 2010, 08:37 AM
No problem. Is that everyday? I could pick it up Wed-Fri (wed might be iffy because i might be in class for a while)

Every week day I'm not on vacation :)
Any day this week will work.
Just let me know when you are coming so I can make sure I don't have any meetings.

Mporter
November 30th, 2010, 10:21 AM
Alright will do. Thanks again