PDA

View Full Version : Rock lights?

AccordRanger
November 13th, 2010, 12:17 AM
I want to try to get some rock lights under the Ex, I want to do some night runs and it would be nice to have all the light possible.

I was thinking of using these. http://www.oznium.com/high-intensity-led-floodlight

Who here has rock lights, and what did you use?
Please post your setup.

Brody
November 13th, 2010, 04:23 AM
I have 8 rock lights on my heap. I have one under each wheel well, two in the front angled so that they point just ahead of the front tires and two in the back pointed just behind the rear tires. I run the absolutely cheapest POS lights under the fender wells since they do not last very long at all, no matter what you do to them to protect them from the water, rocks, etc. The front and rears are more the tractor flood style as all I am trying to illuminate is the area directly in front or back of the tires.

I don't know what kind of trails you run at night or are planning to run at night, but I put my lights where they would do the most good for me where I am doing hard trails with a lot of rock crawling on big rocks at night. All I want to be able to see is the areas directly around each wheel so that I can get my tire placement just right. What you chose is going to depend on the kind of stuff you are wanting to do, more than on what someone else has on their heap.

DKDunn04
November 13th, 2010, 05:33 AM
I put 2 on each side. Just went and bought some cheap "for lights" from autozone, and hooked them up to a switch in the cab. Go cheap. The lights will get hot since they will be on, then if you hit a puddle of cold water they will crack anyway.

DKDunn04
November 13th, 2010, 05:34 AM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y9/LoungeLizard1985/nightwheeling025.jpg

Brody
November 13th, 2010, 05:41 AM
Thanks Kyle...Yep...no need for expensive rock lights just for that reason. They really do not last too long....Every time I have used mine, I am always amazed if they are all still working at the end of a night run, especially if there are any water crossings or puddles. We ran Jenny Creek at night and, out of 8 lights that I started with, I only had 5 working by the end of the run...and only one of these was a wheel well light. Looked up underneath the heap the next day and there were cracks and puddles of water in 3 of the lights...

DKDunn04
November 13th, 2010, 06:18 AM
I have no idea how, but my 4 little crappy lights have lasted a year and a half! All the lights are cracked, but somehow they all still work.