PDA

View Full Version : wrenching days?

ColoRaider
November 13th, 2010, 11:08 PM
I hope this is in the correct section, sorry if it isnt.
I was wondering if anyone ever gets together for wrenching days? i have always found that they are pretty enjoyable, not to mention informative.
I know that the past few jobs i have done would have gone much smoother if someone had been there to laugh at me as i started doing something incorrectly.
i would be happy to provide some food for any of these said gatherings Dr OldUnit might be able to vouch for my culinary prowess...

RockyMtnHigh
November 13th, 2010, 11:12 PM
my culinary prowess...

Will Sailor Jerry be present at these gatherings?:D

Rob
November 13th, 2010, 11:16 PM
I can vouch for Jock's Sailor Jerry prowess. :lmao:

I can also vouch for Robbie's wizardry with food.

We haven't had any official wrenching days (or clinics) since last year, but I'm usually game to help.

ColoRaider
November 13th, 2010, 11:16 PM
possibly, but the sailor doesnt come out until after the work.

RockyMtnHigh
November 13th, 2010, 11:19 PM
I can vouch for Jock's Sailor Jerry prowess. :lmao:

Hey, the only reason I ever had Jerry over was because of Robbie.:lmao:

possibly, but the sailor doesnt come out until after the work.

:lmao:

ColoRaider
November 13th, 2010, 11:24 PM
well, i will most definitely be getting ahold of you two then.. Im gettiong ready to do some body work and then some painting.. rattle can or bedliner ..i havent decided yet, although the cost has me leaning toward a rattle can. Ive also got some gasket work (valve/sidecover/oil pan), and a tune-up.
btw Rob the 40 looks nice.
oh and ive had much bigger lushes blame me for their problems than you Jock...

Hypoid
November 13th, 2010, 11:28 PM
possibly, but the sailor doesnt come out until after the work.You say that like someone who has been through this before. :D

I know we've had people get together for a specific task on a specific vehicle. I think that's enough mayhem for one day's work.

Speaking of mayhem, I have to take a picture of some winch guts. I'll be posting in that thread later. :)

RockyMtnHigh
November 13th, 2010, 11:29 PM
ive had much bigger lushes blame me for their problems than you Jock...

I never could get used to all that spice, that last bottle still sits in the cabinet where I put it after you left that day. Knob Creek bourbon is the preference now, but even that is going to take the back row now after having the blood work done, no more red meat and all the other good stuff for a while until I get these numbers under control.

Rob
November 13th, 2010, 11:51 PM
Speaking of mayhem, I have to take a picture of some winch guts.

Those are some scary looking guts, aren't they? :eek: It almost looks like the winch spent a few days at the bottom of a lake. Thanks again for taking a stab at diagnosing the problem, Mike.

Brody
November 14th, 2010, 04:44 AM
Ahhhhh...so ya know Rob and Jock, eh??? We had best be keeping a wary eye on ya, then.....

Yeah, correct section. Rob, Chris, Randy, Happy, me and a lot of other folks have all had some form of wrenching day. I have done a couple of 'clinics' where I simply helped people who were interested in rebuilding their front axle do it over at my place and a couple of other things. People are usually interested in coming as most of us want to learn more about the heaps we drive and abuse and if someone with experience posts up a clinic or wrenching day, people usually show. It is more a matter of posting it up.

Mporter
November 14th, 2010, 10:12 AM
Depending on where/when it is...i would consider joining :rolleyes:

Chris
November 14th, 2010, 04:35 PM
Sounds like a 60 wrenching day coming, I'd be in for that too.

EldoradoFJ60
September 4th, 2011, 05:18 PM
Bumping this up. How about a "screw with the 2F" wrenching party.

ColoRaider
September 4th, 2011, 05:48 PM
Lets plan it. Im about to get my knuckle build on. AND new tie-rod ends, brakes, (4runner caliper swap) maybe some new hoses and belts possibly a tune up....
the wife let me to devote some of the money from the sale of my 87 to some work on the 84.

btw Bruce, where did you get your SS braided brake lines at and what did they charge?

EldoradoFJ60
September 4th, 2011, 06:03 PM
I got the front lines from George at Valley Hybrids. orangefj45@sbcglobal.net

$56 shipped for the pair. I'd go with 14" over the 12" lines I got for a little more wiggle room.

Since I just did my front end I can offer some recommendations on that. My next exciting tasks are to replace all of my radiator hoses and replace my oil pan gasket. Also want to go through all the emissions crap and test everything. If they didn't change the classic registration age I'd probably be running a Trollhole carb.

ColoRaider
September 4th, 2011, 06:37 PM
I think I have the dreaded "skid plate leak" on my oil pan. So I am probably going try and get a uded one if I can find a decent one, otherwise I will buy new. This will be my 2nd knuckle job(im excited about it). I will have to get a hold of George, I am debating running the baking plate eliminators when I do the knuckle job.
I also need to get my hoses and belts replaced...

What are the rules for classic registration now???

RockyMtnHigh
September 4th, 2011, 06:47 PM
This will be my 2nd knuckle job(im excited about it).

You left the door open on this one Robbie, but I'll refrain from commenting on it! :lmao:

EldoradoFJ60
September 4th, 2011, 06:50 PM
I highly recommend tossing the backing plate. It's so much simpler. I'll all about removing unnecessary crap from my vehicle.

I hope to do the oil change and gasket at Pete's place if the oil pan needs welding. Cheaper to fix if needed than buying a new one.

I might splurge and get all new Toyota hoses for every last bit of the cooling system. It seems like a lot of mine were cut to fit. None of them seem to fit correctly. The best part is the idiotic rear heater bypass that allowed the PO to install a leaking flush tee.

Used to be any vehicle over 25 years old. But in order to make the state more money they changed it to vehicles made on or before 1976.

Rob
September 4th, 2011, 06:57 PM
... replace all of my radiator hoses ...

I think I have the dreaded "skid plate leak" on my oil pan. I also need to get my hoses and belts replaced...

I have radiator hoses and clamps, and new belts for the 40, but haven't gotten around to replacing them. Probably do it the week of Sept. 12, which I'm taking off. I have a similar leak, but I think it's my rear main seal. And a bad seal between the T-case and tranny. After a couple of wheeling trips, I have to drain the excess from the T-case and put it back in the transmission. Those seals are gonna have to wait, though. More than I can handle (probably) and more than I can afford right now to have done.

EldoradoFJ60
September 4th, 2011, 07:02 PM
Used to be any vehicle over 25 years old. But in order to make the state more money they changed it to vehicles made on or before 1976.

Crap. Nevermind. Seems that when I got my 60 the laws were different regarding emissions and such. Since that time they changed them back.

http://www.coloradonewsagency.com/2011/07/07/collector-cars-no-longer-gridlocked-in-red-tape/

The new law modifies titling and registration procedures in connection with older vehicles. Under current law, owners of vintage collector’s vehicles must possess a certificate of emissions although the vehicles are exempted from emissions testing. The new law removes the requirement to possess the certificate for such vehicles.

The measure also removes a surety-and-bond process when registering an older vehicle and allows certain older vehicles to use license plates consistent with the era in which they were manufactured.

4finger
September 4th, 2011, 07:05 PM
if you guys are looking for a "we wanna learn how to install hydro assist on a toyota 8in with thomas as he learns how to do it too" day and wanna do it far from home please come on down. we could even have a "saw off random sheetmetal" day as im looking to add a kinda in the body exo cage.
ill supply the beverages of choice and the entertainment. (the entertainment will obviously be me trying to figure stuff out)!!!!!:lmao::lmao:

RidgeRunner
September 4th, 2011, 09:04 PM
if you guys are looking for a "we wanna learn how to install hydro assist on a toyota 8in with thomas as he learns how to do it too" day and wanna do it far from home please come on down. we could even have a "saw off random sheetmetal" day as im looking to add a kinda in the body exo cage.
ill supply the beverages of choice and the entertainment. (the entertainment will obviously be me trying to figure stuff out)!!!!!:lmao::lmao:

I'd be in for this one if you were a little closer.

Zukrider
September 4th, 2011, 09:27 PM
Hey Rob, Ill be more than happy to give ya a hand on the rear main and other seal. let me know. my dad has a modified floor jack with a flat plate for autos, we could make a jig for holding the assembly while lowering it.

ColoRaider
September 4th, 2011, 09:32 PM
Rob, let me know what the plan is, I will be done with clasess relatively early, and would love to swing by and help out.

Rob
September 4th, 2011, 10:07 PM
Hey Rob, Ill be more than happy to give ya a hand on the rear main and other seal. let me know. my dad has a modified floor jack with a flat plate for autos, we could make a jig for holding the assembly while lowering it.

Wow, thanks, Joe. I was thinking of doing it next spring or early summer. I figure I'd replace seals in the drive train and do some clutch work while I'm in there. Think all that can be done in one day?

Rob, let me know what the plan is, I will be done with clasess relatively early, and would love to swing by and help out.

What's Monday the 12th look like for you, Robby?

Zukrider
September 4th, 2011, 11:50 PM
Wow, thanks, Joe. I was thinking of doing it next spring or early summer. I figure I'd replace seals in the drive train and do some clutch work while I'm in there. Think all that can be done in one day?

with some motivation, yes! biggest thing for timing will be to either have a turned flywheel ready to go in, have LuK do it at your house(which is hard as they dont do residence often), or be ok with just de-glazing it ourselves. i have a good air grinder that uses plastic finger wheels. does great if you dont have serious gouging.

the rest is really just wrenching and motivation! And making sure the special tools only get used for the special purposes! that really sucked at Bruces!

Zukrider
September 4th, 2011, 11:53 PM
that would also be the perfect tim e to throw in some case gears and a 5 speed. good luck finding either for a good price!

ooh, we can really push the envelope and do a rear locker in the same Day/Weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!