PDA

View Full Version : Extended Trips!!

Aaron
November 17th, 2010, 12:18 PM
Hey all,

After the first of the year, I'm thinking of posting some overnight and/or long weekend trips for the spring / summer that include but don't have to be limited to wheeling. I'm looking for some ideas. Here are a few of mine...

Moab - Of Course. I know Marty (RokTaxi) is planning on a springtime run out that way.
Alpine Loop - I would love to get out to the SouthWest side of the state for a multiple day trip. Given the distance, this is probably a 2night venture at a minimum. I don't care if we camp along the trail or if we have a base camp and go out wheeling each day or if we incorporate other things
Ellis Jeep Trail - This is Pete's baby. We had fun this year and can't wait to do it again. Maybe this time we can even get on Ellis Jeep Trail :lmao:
Fly Fishing - Yeah, I know this isn't a destination but I'd like to learn and I bet I know someone who would teach!
Poudre - I love going camping up in the Poudre and doing trails up there. We're always alone when we do it so we don't do the harder stuff.

Any other ideas?

Brad
November 17th, 2010, 12:43 PM
Southwest area I recommend a 3 night 4 dayer. We stayed at ridgway res just north of ouray. Plan on 8 hours, 5 hours of drive time loaded with gear and a couple of hours to set up camp. Couple of days of fun then a day to trek back. Esp if you have a group of people. Harder to get organized and get going. I recommend staying on trail if you want to get more 4 wheeling in. The road up to Bolam pass was littered with campers with huge base camps. Bolam is not a particularly hard road but seemed to have a good central location to all the good trails. Of course it is another hour or so driving to get to.

I have to get to Moab next spring. Looking at March per Marty. I am sure this will get posted sometime in Jan or Feb.

I am down for all the others. Really want to get out and camp next year.

Having said that, I am IN!!! :D

I wanted to plan out a trip to Yosemite and still might but time is thin right now. Not to say that will not change.

RockyMtnHigh
November 17th, 2010, 01:01 PM
As far as the fly fishing goes, the Poudre is an excellent spot to learn. I also wouldn't mind hitting the Southwest region for that purpose as well.

I would also like to get out to the Black Canyon of the Gunnison http://www.nps.gov/blca/planyourvisit/things2do.htm

ColoRaider
November 17th, 2010, 01:18 PM
I have been trying to plan an extended trip. I want to pit either a hog or a lamb. The plan is that the beast of choice could go in the bottom of the pit, with the veg inside, layered above that could be a burlab of more veg and potatoes, along with some poultry(chicken, turkey etc). The birds would be done on the first night, allowing for coals to be checked and stirred, then the second night the lamb or hog would be ready to dig into. Just an idea ive been tossing around for a couple of seasons now. Camping, wheeling, and meat... i dont see how that would be a bad idea...

Fordguy77
November 17th, 2010, 01:22 PM
I'd be interested in most of them, as long as i could get things squared away with work, and its not turbine season.

Aaron
November 17th, 2010, 01:57 PM
I'd be interested in most of them, as long as i could get things squared away with work, and its not turbine season.

I'll bite. Whats turbine season...

Fordguy77
November 17th, 2010, 02:03 PM
I am a precision industrial mechanic, or millwright for short. Turbine season is twice a year. It is when all the power houses shut down for there major overhauls. Its 6 weeks of 7 12's to rebuild the turbines and generators. This is the time of year to get all moneyed up. It falls between February through April, and August through October. Although this last year i have been on maintenance contracts at Coors, Budwiser, and AMGEN Longmont/Boulder, and probably will be next year as well. I've got some kinda cool pics of turbines if you ever wanna see them.

Brad
November 17th, 2010, 02:15 PM
start a new post, I wanna see them! :thumb:

Rob
November 17th, 2010, 02:44 PM
Whats turbine season...

It's when Chris build and repairs turbans. (And I'm almost definitely in for Moab and maybe a Southwest trip. Camping and wheeling along the Poudre sounds like fun, too.)

Brad
November 17th, 2010, 03:00 PM
It's when Chris build and repairs turbans. (And I'm almost definitely in for Moab and maybe a Southwest trip. Camping and wheeling along the Poudre sounds like fun, too.)

:lmao:

Andrew
November 17th, 2010, 03:36 PM
Ouray anyone?

Aaron
November 17th, 2010, 03:44 PM
Ouray anyone?

I love Ouray.

Brody
November 17th, 2010, 04:32 PM
Too far away to plan. Like now, there might not be any money to do anything. We have a hard time planning into the next week....At the moment, for instance, I have about 7 days worth of work....then absolutely nothing. LaDawn has no listings at the moment, though the start of the year was good. Not too big of a deal as we have been living more or less like this for the last 2 years, but it sure as f*** doesn't allow for much planning ahead.

AccordRanger
November 17th, 2010, 04:56 PM
If I have money I would love to do Ellis, and Moab.

Jackie
November 17th, 2010, 10:39 PM
I'm in for Ouray. Beautiful!

Chris
November 17th, 2010, 11:18 PM
I'd probably be in for all if the timing's right for me at the time. Unfortunately I rarely plan more than a week out.

Fordguy77
November 18th, 2010, 12:48 AM
start a new post, I wanna see them! :thumb:
Heres a post i had from before you joined. I have some more pictures i could probably add tomorrow Sometime.
http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?9784-The-Last-48-Hours&highlight=Millwright

=WINKY=
November 18th, 2010, 01:04 AM
i would be interested in this, roland and i are wanting to do a 1-2 week drive in the empties of moab. in a year or so

Roostercruiser
November 18th, 2010, 02:03 AM
Whoohoo road trip, just no Kansas.

Volcom
November 18th, 2010, 08:33 AM
A weekend trip to Medano & Blanca is one of my favorites trips.

Dirt Claude
November 18th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Had a blast in Moab last spring, I need to get my fix again! The others sound fun too.... we'll see when it gets closer.

ROKTAXI
November 18th, 2010, 06:58 PM
I have to get to Moab next spring. Looking at March per Marty. I am sure this will get posted sometime in Jan or Feb.
I know it's way to early to plan anything, but for those that DO want to come to Moab for the "non traditional trails", I can be pretty flexible on dates. Not everyone can make it at the same time, so for those that want certain dates, I can certainly accommodate just about any time frame. Just planting the seed until I post up info on the board in about a month or so. Some of the areas I'd like to do are in the San Rafael Swell. This would probably mean getting accommodations in Green River for a couple days and maybe the rest of the time in Moab. Anyway just some basic info at this point. I would like to structure it so that if a group can't make it for one time frame, I can also schedule another time for the same area. Basically, same (similar) area(s) with 2 different dates.

Smash
November 19th, 2010, 08:01 AM
Karla and I love extended trips, but they are most likely not in our future. My bike just took a bullet and the Suburban is broke with no idea when I'll be able to fix her. Will continue to live vicariously!

Funrover
November 19th, 2010, 11:01 PM
Karla and I love extended trips, but they are most likely not in our future. My bike just took a bullet and the Suburban is broke with no idea when I'll be able to fix her. Will continue to live vicariously!

That is really a bummer to hear. Hope it gets better your way!

94ToyBear
November 25th, 2010, 12:56 AM
im soooo in to that !

southpaws3
November 25th, 2010, 10:38 AM
AS far as i know we are still doing the last half of the contentinal divide trail next summer all are invited plus bring your TOYS due to us going into new mexico down south but not to the boder

Adam
November 25th, 2010, 06:03 PM
We have been talking about doing the kokopelli trail and then spending a few days in Moab.

Swath
December 6th, 2010, 02:02 AM
A spot to consider, one of my favorites, is Taylor Park. I try head up there for a week or so at least once a year, originally to fly fish, more now to explore the 4wd trails. Some nice history in the area. Fishing Taylor Res is an option, they have boat rentals. I fly fish the Upper Taylor and Texas Creek. There is ample camping in improved campgrounds as well as lots and lots of great primitive camping (my choice), and there are cabin rentals available at the lake.

Then of course there are plenty of great 4wd trails. Taylor Pass, Cement Creek, American Flag Mountain. A bunch SE of the res also, Tincup Pass etc...

Takes about 3.5 hours to get to the camping area from Denver through BV and over Cottonwood Pass. Excellent beautiful scenery all over the place. Actually, I should just keep my mouth shut cause less folks is better up there.

Anyway, just thought I would throw it out there for ya'll to consider.

Brad
December 6th, 2010, 06:08 AM
I would like to structure it so that if a group can't make it for one time frame, I can also schedule another time for the same area. Basically, same (similar) area(s) with 2 different dates.
I am looking at spring break so my son can come too, will post up those dates as soon as I can.

Jackie
December 6th, 2010, 06:56 PM
I want to check out Ouaray this summer. We drove through it and spent a night (no off-roading) this past summer and fell in love with the area!

Fatboris
December 6th, 2010, 07:37 PM
I've always wanted to do Ouray but have never had the oppurtunity. I'd be up for any though.

Rob
December 6th, 2010, 07:38 PM
I haven't been to Ouray yet, either, and would like to get there next year.

Chris
December 6th, 2010, 08:27 PM
Ouray is a must-do and is comparatively close, best to spend a minimum of 2 days for wheeling and wait until mid-July so all trails are open. We make Ouray at least once a year, preferably twice!

fredrok
December 7th, 2010, 11:57 AM
I'm down for anything. I'm currently laid off except for random contract work to keep the lights on, so my schedule is pretty open for the time being. Could change, but my industry is in the $hitter so who knows.

I just took fly fishing lessons last summer, so I'd carry some gear along for that if it works out. If we do SW CO, gotta get Black Bear Rd in while we're that way. Would be mandatory for me!:2c:

Brad
December 7th, 2010, 07:43 PM
The 5 days we spent there last July was spectacular. Wish we did more wheeling. Want to hit up the California gulch area.

Brody
December 8th, 2010, 04:50 AM
I just took fly fishing lessons last summer, so I'd carry some gear along for that if it works out. If we do SW CO, gotta get Black Bear Rd in while we're that way. Would be mandatory for me!

RckyMtnHgh is big on fly fishing as are quite a few other folks.

=WINKY=
December 8th, 2010, 05:33 AM
AS far as i know we are still doing the last half of the contentinal divide trail next summer all are invited plus bring your TOYS due to us going into new mexico down south but not to the boder

roger that 10-4

id like to join in :)

Cr33p3r
December 8th, 2010, 07:41 AM
I posted up a thread for the area around Eureka for a week long trip next summer and had no bites on it for any info on the trails there! I want to go from that area down towards Silverton. Ouray and Black River canyon is more of those beautiful areas we spent a week in that area in a '79 Cherokee camping, wheeling, and fishing. As for fishing the gear is always in my truck just in case!

fredrok
December 8th, 2010, 08:36 AM
Awesome. I'll admit even though I enjoy the challenge, it's less about actually catching fish than it is about being in the outback for me. I just thought it would be a bit odd if I was standing in the middle of a river with a 6pack tied to my hip and no pole in my hand.

RockyMtnHigh
December 8th, 2010, 09:21 AM
Awesome. I'll admit even though I enjoy the challenge, it's less about actually catching fish than it is about being in the outback for me. I just thought it would be a bit odd if I was standing in the middle of a river with a 6pack tied to my hip and no pole in my hand.

I don't mind not catching fish when I consider where I am, I have been skunked a few times and still leave with a smile on my face regardless. The smile gets a lot bigger when you actually manage to pull a few out of the water though.

6 pack? Need to get yourself one of these:
http://www.flyfishingoutfitters.com/storeimages/600x600/WAA-SIM-FLSK-BLK-0000-0000.jpg

Much easier to haul around! :lmao:

fredrok
December 8th, 2010, 09:54 AM
Yes, I am familiar. ;)

RockyMtnHigh
December 8th, 2010, 10:19 AM
Awesome!

I have the one I posted:

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj234/RockyMtnHigh_2008/Fishing%20Colorado%20River%2004192010/IMGP0790.jpg

So I got to ask, who's up for some Winter fishing?

Brody
December 8th, 2010, 05:05 PM
So I got to ask, who's up for some Winter fishing?

Not I, but I will climb some frozen waterfalls....sans the liquor, of course. Ice climbing is dangerous enough without it....a little more exciting, too, but I am not that into fishing, so what the hell do I know...

fredrok
December 8th, 2010, 05:19 PM
I'll give it a shot 1 day. I don't have a lick of winter fishing gear. Not even some waders or boots that fit me!

Robert B
December 8th, 2010, 07:56 PM
winter fishing gear
if i did winter fishing i would be sitting in a chair with the line down a hole in the ice..... or just throwing the line off a rock in the middle of the river .. so good luck with that :)

jimgrms
March 20th, 2011, 08:51 AM
I am planing a Ouray trip from sept 16 to 19 for the blues and brews festival ,also a bunch of senic wheeling thrown in 'staying at the riverside in the music and beer is in Telluride

Brad
March 20th, 2011, 09:11 AM
I talked with Brian in Montrose and after Moab I am planning a run to Ouray for late July/early August. Probably a 4 day.

Chris
March 20th, 2011, 09:11 AM
Hey Aaron what do you think about some night runs ? Nothing to far away maybe black hawk Idaho springs

Post a feeler Bob, night runs have been popular in the past.

BlackRubi
March 20th, 2011, 11:41 AM
I'm still up for the Poudre Canyon. Can't wait until I get a chance to fish and wheel! Plus, I have two weeks of vacation coming to me soon, barring me finding a better job.