PDA

View Full Version : Year 2: Coats for Teens

Pathrat
November 25th, 2010, 05:59 PM
Last year a few of us bought 40 new coats for the residents of Urban Peak, a shelter for homeless teenagers, including kids who are 18 but have been booted out of their foster homes because they are 18 and fully functional independent adults (:rolleyes: I won't start on that unfairness). We donated new hats, socks and gloves. The need exists this year as well. I found $5.00 fleece jackets in the Wal-Mart Black Friday ad. Tomorrow after I get off work Hugh and I will be hitting the wally-worlds with the intent of procuring 44 fleece jackets for the residents of Urban Peak. We will do this regardless of whether we get donations to defray the costs of the coats; we were handed a generous donation last year.

We are asking for donations of cash for jackets, new socks, non-cotton gloves, hats and long underwear. The latter items were specifically requested when I asked staff what was needed. Teenagers are often forgotten in holiday drives, especially the ones who have no place to go and are not in foster care. They do not have access to the organized donation programs so how about we help them out?

If you want to donate funds, my paypal is:
pathologyrat@yahoo.com

if you want to donate goods on their wish list, post up a reply and we can plan a delivery run.

Here is the Wal-mart ad reference...see bottom right, "fleece pull-over or jackets"

http://walmart.richfx.com.edgesuite.net/presentation/media/LA_PreBlitz2010/?rfx_versioningid=4&rfx_versions=4&drpStoreID=1208&rfx_bcatalogName=annualevent2010_26&rfx_bcatalogVersion=1208&drpStoreID=1208&ec_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.walmart.com%2Fecircular%2F ca_ecircularfinder_results.do%3F%3DContinue%26cont inue%3D%26sfradius%3D50%26sfrecords%3D%26sfsearch_ city%3D%26sfsearch_state%3D--%26sfsearch_street_1%3D%26sfsearch_zip%3D80004%26x %3D26%26y%3D3

www.urbanpeak.org (http://www.urbanpeak.org)

Rob
November 25th, 2010, 06:14 PM
Funds transfered. Wish I could send more. Thanks for doing this, Stephanie!

Pathrat
November 25th, 2010, 06:47 PM
Thank you Rob!!! We really appreciate that you have jumped in and started the drive with your generosity!!! :superhero:

Patrolman
November 25th, 2010, 08:06 PM
I will try to remember to stop by Wally World in the morning and snag some too. Will report back what we find.

Pathrat
November 25th, 2010, 08:28 PM
Thank you Jeff :)

CR
November 26th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Funds sent!
Thank you Stephanie!

Haku
November 26th, 2010, 06:02 PM
I'll throw some moolah their way, but are they interested in used coats? I have one that doesn't fit me but its still in great shape. Its a nice Lowe Alpine one that is Gortex.

Pathrat
November 26th, 2010, 08:32 PM
CR!!!!! WOW, WAY TO STEP UP!!! YOU ROCK :superhero:

Pathrat
November 26th, 2010, 08:44 PM
Here is the update:

Hugh and I went to two Wal-marts today and cleaned them out of fleece jackets. So far, we have 37 jackets. We are short six womens size Small. I did not know about CR and Liz's generous donation (while they are still building their house no less!) when we went shopping. With what I had already planned to spend, whether we got donations or not, and the funds people here have put out, we will be able to get more warm weather gear than we anticipated.

This is the plan,and suggestions are welcome:

Tomorrow Hugh and I are going to hit more WalMarts for the last of the girl's jackets. With the extra money given, we were thinking about providing new socks for all the residents as well. If we get a substantial donation, I would be willing to buy 42 Christmas socks and put candy canes, pen/paper set (or something similar from dollar bin at Target) and a pair of socks in each. IF I can find that many Christmas socks!

Pathrat
November 26th, 2010, 08:47 PM
Haku- I can ask that clean good coats go to the Outreach program. Otherwise, they ask that clothing donations other than new packs of socks and underwear, be dropped off at ARC as they give the kids clothes vouchers for ARC.

Haku
November 26th, 2010, 09:17 PM
Here is the update:

Hugh and I went to two Wal-marts today and cleaned them out of fleece jackets. So far, we have 37 jackets. We are short six womens size Small. I did not know about CR and Liz's generous donation (while they are still building their house no less!) when we went shopping. With what I had already planned to spend, whether we got donations or not, and the funds people here have put out, we will be able to get more warm weather gear than we anticipated.

This is the plan,and suggestions are welcome:

Tomorrow Hugh and I are going to hit more WalMarts for the last of the girl's jackets. With the extra money given, we were thinking about providing new socks for all the residents as well. If we get a substantial donation, I would be willing to buy 42 Christmas socks and put candy canes, pen/paper set (or something similar from dollar bin at Target) and a pair of socks in each. IF I can find that many Christmas socks!

How much do you need to get the rest of that done (the stuff in the last paragraph I mean)? If you would rather PM thats fine too. I can take care of at least part of it monetarily.

I'm sure I'll find a willing group for the coat and other clothing I have and don't use anymore.

Pathrat
November 26th, 2010, 09:23 PM
My estimate:
for the Christmas sock, candy and small gift, I figure $4.00 a kid, 44 kids: $176
No one will be asking just one person to make that offer, that would need to be a group effort.

sock- $2.00, a buck if I get lucky
gift- $1.00 or two bucks if I find the Xmas socks for a dollar
candy- $1.00

New pair of socks for each kid: I think CR is covering a lot of that

Haku- you are a stand up man for making that offer!

If we don't raise another $200 that is ok, I will buy more socks and hats! :)

Haku
November 26th, 2010, 09:31 PM
My estimate:
for the Christmas sock, candy and small gift, I figure $4.00 a kid, 44 kids: $176
No one will be asking just one person to make that offer, that would need to be a group effort.

sock- $2.00, a buck if I get lucky
gift- $1.00 or two bucks if I find the Xmas socks for a dollar
candy- $1.00

New pair of socks for each kid: I think CR is covering a lot of that

Haku- you are a stand up man for making that offer!

If we don't raise another $200 that is ok, I will buy more socks and hats! :)

Consider it done. If I can afford to spend too much money on my truck, I can afford this.

Pathrat
November 26th, 2010, 10:50 PM
Consider it done. If I can afford to spend too much money on my truck, I can afford this.

Oh my hell....I am so pleased and touched by the generosity here. Really, I hardly know what to say. Thank you Rob, CR and Josh for giving to kids that don't have much of anything including a decent home to go to, and thank you for trusting me to get the job done.
( I am all teary but don't tell anyone)

Off to Wal-Mart and Target we go tomorrow, because of Front Range 4x4
:frontrange4x4:

Pathrat
November 26th, 2010, 10:51 PM
I will be getting everything to Urban Peak before the 19th of December. Company will be welcome. PM me.

Roostercruiser
November 26th, 2010, 11:27 PM
Cant figure out how to donate? All its shows is a email acount.

Gate Monkey
November 27th, 2010, 09:40 AM
(This is Stephanie) Roland: the email address is my paypal account id. You would just need to navigate around the paypal site for the tab that lets you make a payment via paypal. You make a payment to my email address and it gets to me.
We are heading out. If anyone makes a donation in the next couple of hours, please text me so I can add it to the haul.
Thank you again everyone who has participated, you are making a huge difference.

Jackie
November 27th, 2010, 04:10 PM
Stephanie - I have been away for the past week and did not see this thread. I hope it's not too late... I just sent you some $$ via PayPal.

Jackie

CR
November 27th, 2010, 04:55 PM
Like has been said in this post as well as others... Money can be made again, lets help these kids out.

Pathrat
November 27th, 2010, 08:45 PM
THANK YOU JACKIE! :bowdown: Your donation means one more gift for each stocking!

Pathrat
November 27th, 2010, 08:57 PM
Here is what we have collected for the kids, thanks to the generosity here:

one fleece jacket
one knit hat
one Rudolf the Red Nose reindeer character chapstick
one pocket calender/planner
one pair new sturdy socks
candy canes
mini Christmas colored Blow Pops
one red fluffy Christmas stocking for the smaller loot items

...............FOR 44 KIDS!!!!!!!

With the couple bucks we had left over from shopping today and Jackie's donation, everyone will get one more item in their Christmas sock, maybe new toothbrushes or maybe something else...not sure yet.
THANK YOU AGAIN EVERYONE

Pathrat
November 27th, 2010, 08:58 PM
Stephanie - I have been away for the past week and did not see this thread. I hope it's not too late... I just sent you some $$ via PayPal.

Jackie

I will keep the donation line open until delivery day!

CR
November 27th, 2010, 10:28 PM
Here is what we have collected for the kids, thanks to the generosity here:

one fleece jacket
one knit hat
one Rudolf the Red Nose reindeer character chapstick
one pocket calender/planner
one pair new sturdy socks
candy canes
mini Christmas colored Blow Pops
one red fluffy Christmas stocking for the smaller loot items

...............FOR 44 KIDS!!!!!!!
This is Awesome!! Thank you for doing this Stephanie and Hugh!!

cfr
November 27th, 2010, 10:39 PM
Just saw this. Funds sent.

Pathrat
November 27th, 2010, 10:47 PM
THANK YOU CHARLES!!! :superhero: Your gift for these kids is greatly appreciated.

I think Hugh and I will wait until the end of the week to see how much comes through and what we can add to each kid's jacket and gift pack. We are not sure yet, ideas welcome just keep in mind at this point we are looking at being able to spend a little under $2.00 per teen.

You all are great jumping in and participating! We are grateful for the opportunity to get these forgotten young people so much this year.

Pathrat
November 28th, 2010, 09:57 PM
UPDATE

I will contact staff to get a head count for how many kids are at the shelter- I think we have enough Christmas kits.

This is the plan for the additional money people have generously donated. Urban Peak runs and outreach program for homeless teens who are not in shelter, who are living on the street. The team makes contact with kids in the areas where they congregate, offering cold weather gear, snacks and information about services, etc. These youth also visit the drop in center downtown called The Spot.
I would like to buy as many socks and hats as we possibly can and donate the goods to the outreach program. I can get knit hats at Wal-Mart for $1.40 -1.50. Socks can be had there too for a reasonable price. With the approximate $90 left in the donations fund, we should be able to supply a number of cold kids who sleep where they can this winter.
Suggestions still welcome

Pathrat
December 4th, 2010, 06:30 PM
Last update:

Today we spent the rest of the donations. In addition to what is detailed in previous threads, there are about 35 more hats and 60 pairs of socks that will be donated within the next two weeks.

Thank you to everyone who made all of this possible! :cheers:

Patrolman
December 4th, 2010, 06:37 PM
$ sent. I know you can put it to good use Stephanie! Thanks again for taking the initiative!

Pathrat
December 4th, 2010, 10:02 PM
Way to go Patrolman!!! :superhero:

Thank you, more socks and hats will be picked up for the kids, OR possibly a bunch of Clif Bars for Outreach to hand out.

Patrolman
December 5th, 2010, 10:08 AM
Glad I could help. Thanks again for putting all this together!

Pathrat
December 12th, 2010, 09:09 PM
Hugh and I dropped off all of the Christmas stockings (with extra items for a couple additional stockings if needed) and fleece jackets today for the shelter residents, along with 30 hats, 30 Clif bars and 56 pairs of socks for the kids still on the street. The jackets and stockings were in 4 large boxes each with "do not open until Christmas" written on the top. The kids at the Urban Peak shelter were pretty curious. "What do you think's in there" "I think it's Christmas presents!" "It says don't open until Christmas". The staff member offered to let us hand out the gifts but we told her we would be out of town for Christmas, otherwise this is what we would have done on Christmas Eve, with anyone who wanted to join us. Maybe next year. The point is, these kids know they have not been forgotten. :cheers:

Chris
December 12th, 2010, 09:22 PM
Thanks for putting this together again Stephanie, I look forward to participating next time!

Haku
December 12th, 2010, 09:26 PM
Ditto that. I feel good about helping get it done, but 99% of the credit should go to Stephanie for putting it all together and making sure it gets to the people who need it. She did a fantastic job and I'm sure it will show to all the recipients of the gifts at Urban Peak. Major kudos for sure.

Pathrat
December 12th, 2010, 09:35 PM
Ditto that. I feel good about helping get it done, but 99% of the credit should go to Stephanie for putting it all together and making sure it gets to the people who need it. She did a fantastic job and I'm sure it will show to all the recipients of the gifts at Urban Peak. Major kudos for sure.

Thank you :) You were a huge help in making sure I had this much to put together.

Pathrat
December 12th, 2010, 09:36 PM
Thanks for putting this together again Stephanie, I look forward to participating next time!

You're welcome and of course. :)

Patrolman
December 17th, 2010, 09:30 PM
I ended up picking up some brand new hats this evening. I presume they are still in need of knit hats Stephanie? They were, get this, 7 cents each at O'Reilly auto. Unsure why. Hats are hats when it comes to cold weather. One is even a face mask. If they don't need them, we still have some stuff to run to the shelter. Thanks again for all your efforts!

Jackie
December 17th, 2010, 10:00 PM
Great work Stephanie! Thanks for doing all of this. And thanks to all who were able to contribute! I can't imagine a picture of my kids homeless on the street, but it's good to know there are people who would at least think about them if they were...

Merry Christmas everyone!!!:cheers:

Pathrat
December 18th, 2010, 10:18 PM
Thank you again Jackie for your willingness to help and your awareness of the problem. I can't imagine my kids, in another life, on the street either, it is unthinkable for me.

Jeff- pm sent :)

Patrolman
December 24th, 2010, 05:51 PM
Dropped off a good sized box today. Wool hats, gloves, scarf, bar soap, toothpaste, etc. They were excited!

Jackie
December 24th, 2010, 09:41 PM
That's so cool! Thanks to you, Jeff!!!

Pathrat
December 29th, 2010, 08:31 PM
That's great Jeff! Thank you so much for your support of these kids!:thumb: