PDA

View Full Version : REI Stormproof Matches

Mporter
December 6th, 2010, 12:47 PM
My roommate just showed this to me.....crazy stuff man.

http://theawesomer.com/?s=stormproof+matches

Brody
December 6th, 2010, 05:17 PM
I have been using these or a similar version for years . I have them in my first aid junk, my camping junk, my car junk, my emergency junk...hell, I must have about 10 packs of these scattered around in various packs, ditty bags, emergency kits, etc, etc. They are pretty wild and work really well.

Smash
December 6th, 2010, 05:50 PM
Very cool! Subacool brought those to my attention a while back. I plan on picking some up at some point. I hardly ever go to REI though. I love their stuff, but it's outta my budget....

Mporter
December 6th, 2010, 06:00 PM
I love their stuff, but it's outta my budget....

I hear ya there.....i work right next to one and sometimes on breaks i go and window shop for snowboards.....one of these days ill blow an entire check on a $450 snowboard :rolleyes:

Brody
December 6th, 2010, 06:37 PM
I love their stuff, but it's outta my budget....

Yeah, but you would be pleasantly surprised at what the attentive Wally World shopper can find that rivals REI at about 1/4 the cost....Ditto with army surplus. Both have the storm proof matches with the army surplus working much better than the Wally World ones.

I hear ya there.....i work right next to one and sometimes on breaks i go and window shop for snowboards.....one of these days ill blow an entire check on a $450 snowboard

Shop for your snowboard in the spring and summer at pawn shops. I usually do so much BC stuff on mine that it is absolutely trashed at the end of the season. I don't think I have ever spent more than $125 at a pawn shop for a good used board. Right now I am in season two on a very nice Burton that I picked up for $100. The bindings cost me a bundle, but they have been on about 6 different boards so far...

The only board I ever bought new was a Nitro Swallow Tail that I used as a powder stick as that was the only thing it was good for. I liked the board, but it wasn't versatile enough for the kind of riding I do. At the time I bought it, there were only three in the USA which dates me and my boarding, I know....

Mporter
December 6th, 2010, 06:41 PM
Yeah my co-workers roommates are sponsored riders and he said he could talk to them if i narrowed down a board I wanted. I don't know if he's just BSing me, but im still just price shopping and getting a feel for what I want to get (still a few more things I want to buy for my rig before I invest in another snowboard).

Brody
December 6th, 2010, 06:43 PM
See if they can get you a 'last years' board for nada.....

Robert B
December 6th, 2010, 09:12 PM
i got a board at Big 5 for 100 buck last year (late winter sale) and it s a big board since im a tall guy ........oh and its a Lamar legacy if that means anything to you

Fatboris
December 6th, 2010, 09:42 PM
REI has a sale once a year where they sell all their rental stuff from the previous year. You can get some killer deals on sleeping bags, tents, snowboards, etc.. you just have to get their early. I picked up a Sierra Designs 2 man tent for $30, retails @ $150.

Brody
December 7th, 2010, 06:59 AM
Matt's pretty tall, too, so maybe he should check Big 5 out. I like long boards as I am fairly tall.

Smash
December 7th, 2010, 07:36 AM
REI has a sale once a year where they sell all their rental stuff from the previous year. You can get some killer deals on sleeping bags, tents, snowboards, etc.. you just have to get their early. I picked up a Sierra Designs 2 man tent for $30, retails @ $150.

Yep! Scratch and dent sale! They used to have two of them a year up in Fort Collins. I haven't been to the one here in Denver though. Most of my "big" gear items are from these types of sales.

And yeah Pete I'm with you, we buy alot of our stuff at wallyworld, surplus stores and the semi annual semi truck sale at coleman.

Brody
December 7th, 2010, 09:05 AM
Farris Survival, the store that Big Ed works at probably has some very good storm matches, too.

Here is a link to the NATO Survival matches:

http://www.gearwild.com/servlet/the-99/BCB-Lifeboat-Waterproof--dsh-/Detail

Another:

http://www.amazon.com/UCO-Uco-Stormproof-Matches/dp/B003EMGNMA

For a very cheap alternative, take dryer lint, a paper egg tray and some old candles. Stick the lint into the partitions in the egg tray, fill with old wax and let dry. Cut them up and use them for fire starters. They will burn forever, work when wet and are basically dirt cheap and this is mostly junk that gets tossed anyway. Waterproof some regular kitchen matches with either some wax or, better yet, some shellac or spray lacquer. The latter two work better as the lacquer or shellac will scratch off when you try to light it whereas the wax will have to be scratched off first before striking. I have used this basic set up for years with very good luck.

Of course there are a million different fire starters out there, many of which have been covered in the "What do you carry in your rig" thread, so I just tossed this simple one into the mix here.

scout man
December 7th, 2010, 11:51 AM
Of course there are a million different fire starters out there

one cheap method I have always used is to take a cotton ball, and coat the outside of it with vaseline. I used to store them in film containers, although those might be hard to find these days. When you go to use it, just rip open the cotton ball so you can get to the dry inside to start the fire. These will burn for a good 10 minutes or so and dont go out with the wind.

Medic-5150
December 7th, 2010, 04:07 PM
I'm the same as Pete. I've got these things everywhere along with magnesium blocks.

Fordguy77
December 7th, 2010, 04:09 PM
Wally World shopper can find that rivals REI at about 1/4 the cost....Ditto with army surplus.
Also Jax Outdoor Stores, Its like a Army Suplus / Murdochs /Bass Pro all rolled into one. They have some great camping supplies and are reasonably priced.

Medic-5150
December 7th, 2010, 04:10 PM
The cool thing about REI is they're an awesome corporation, lifetime warranty, and you get 20% back on all full price purchases if you're a member :)

Fordguy77
December 7th, 2010, 04:15 PM
one cheap method I have always used is to take a cotton ball, and coat the outside of it with vaseline. I used to store them in film containers, although those might be hard to find these days. When you go to use it, just rip open the cotton ball so you can get to the dry inside to start the fire. These will burn for a good 10 minutes or so and dont go out with the wind.

This is what i have always been taught to do as well. I have 2 Film containers full of cotton balls soaked in vaseline and 1 full of matches in all my cars/backpacking/camping gear. I was just going to suggest this till steve beat me to it.

Medic-5150
December 7th, 2010, 04:30 PM
i used to have some of the fire blocks the military used to use in WW2 with their MREs. Those things were AWESOME! I've gotten lazy and tend to carry my butane backpacking stove around with me. I've found turning it upside down and on high will light just about anything on fire lol

Fordguy77
December 7th, 2010, 04:33 PM
i used to have some of the fire blocks the military used to use in WW2 with their MREs. Those things were AWESOME! I've gotten lazy and tend to carry my butane backpacking stove around with me. I've found turning it upside down and on high will light just about anything on fire lol

Hmmm, thats very good to know, but i would be concerned about feed rate issues and if there is a backfire eliminator to address any chance of unsafe explosion rates...

Medic-5150
December 7th, 2010, 04:34 PM
Hmmm, thats very good to know, but i would be concerned about feed rate issues and if there is a backfire eliminator to address any chance of unsafe explosion rates...

Yea, the fuel runs out, but it's got some sort of backburn protector device on it. It uses a lot of fuel but it's easier than using a flint or match lol

Smash
December 8th, 2010, 07:45 AM
Also Jax Outdoor Stores, Its like a Army Suplus / Murdochs /Bass Pro all rolled into one. They have some great camping supplies and are reasonably priced.

I miss having Jax... Is there even one down here in denver?

RockyMtnHigh
December 8th, 2010, 08:33 AM
Is there even one down here in denver?

Let me Google that for you! (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Jax+Outdoor+Mercantile) :lmao:

Fordguy77
December 8th, 2010, 08:54 AM
Yup. There is one in lafeyette and one in fort collins

Smash
December 8th, 2010, 08:56 AM
Let me Google that for you! (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Jax+Outdoor+Mercantile) :lmao:

BWAHAHAHAHAHHA

ok, that right there was TOTALLY AWESOME. I need that for future reference.

Yup. There is one in lafeyette and one in fort collins

Yep, I knew of the one in Fort Collins, used to live up there. Is the one in Lafayette as big?

Fordguy77
December 8th, 2010, 10:53 AM
I am not sure as I've never been to the one in fort collins

Rob
December 8th, 2010, 08:01 PM
Is the one in Lafayette as big?

No, the Lafayette store is a former Ace Hardware and is 37,000 square feet. The Jax in Fort Collins, after expanding earlier this year, is at 57,000 square feet. But it still has lots of cool stuff.

Smash
December 9th, 2010, 08:02 AM
Cool thanks Rob! I'm glad we don't have one closer to me.... I don't need to spend money!

Rob
December 9th, 2010, 10:06 PM
Cool thanks Rob! I'm glad we don't have one closer to me.... I don't need to spend money!

No problem. I knew where to find that info because our sister weekly that covers Lafayette, Louisville and Superior did a story on it a while back.

The Lafayette store has sucked me in a few times as I was supposed to be driving by it. I try to buy only small, less expensive items when that happens. :)