PDA

View Full Version : Funny Dog Stories

RockyMtnHigh
December 10th, 2010, 04:49 AM
I was reading a thread over on one the fishing boards and one guy said:

Nothing like waking up to smell of what is immediately recognizable as dog **** and tip-toeing gingerly to the light switch, only to plant your foot squarely in said **** before reaching switch.:lmao: I've been there!

Reese aka Roo, is learning the ways of the lab pup quickly, bet he's got some to share.

Here's one of my favorites.

I have a chocolate lab, who has been with us for quite some time now. Anyway, I came home one night to find him sitting in the middle of the living room floor, foaming at the mouth, my first thought was rabies :eek:. My wife had fallen asleep on the couch and he was between her and I, so I work my way around him and wake her up. He's sitting there licking the roof of his mouth and foam is just pouring out the sides of his mouth, he's got this blank stare going on too. I look at her and say, "I think he's got rabies." My wife gets up and walks over to him, I stand there and watch ready to jump on him, she looks in his mouth, reaches in and pulls a bar of soap stuck to the roof of his mouth. :lmao:

D@mn dog, scared the crap out of me! He's had this weird thing for the taste of soap since he was a puppy, after taking a shower he'll follow you around licking your legs if sit still long enough!

So let's hear them! :thumb:

Haku
December 10th, 2010, 07:19 AM
hahaa.......nice.

The best one I have from my internet name sake (Haku the Noble Mutt) is from his first bark...

I got him when he was 8 week old or so from Lifeline Puppy Rescue in Brighton. He was a cute little dude back then.....

http://public.bay.livefilestore.com/y1paBWQCEGfrKIZ1JtqWM_HZgADfmhyWy8HuOlMLXbtQ1KKIlF qZGVL8mzqLiqjVKX167bux8MOC2A5oNzNS5rWWA/haku6.jpg?psid=1

He started out pretty smart, and figured out the whole house training thing pretty young, got tricks pretty quick. He's also a very quiet dog, and hardly whined and never barked. Finally, I just wanted to see if he could, so I started doing the "speak" thing. Took him a while to geared up, but finally got him to give out a big ole bark.

It surprised the hell out of him, and he looked around like something had jumped him. Slowly the realization came to him that it was him that made the noise, and he proceeded to let out a whole rip of barks like it was the coolest thing that had ever happened. To this day I don't think he has barked any louder or more often. You still have to coax it out of him unless he is in a weird mood or another dog gets right in his face.

My dog growing up was much more of a bone head. Stereotypical hound dog, with nothing but his nose and his paws connected to his brain. That dog would literally run till the pads of his paws wore down and started bleeding, which usually took days. Dog almost got shot on multiple occasions since he was rather fond of chasing the big horn sheep that lived on the cliffs above our house (lived just at the base of the western end of Vail Pass where it flattens out just past the "East Vail" exit off I-70, if you look to the right going west there is a berm and above that some cliffs).

http://s33ria.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pYSyAs9Hjb-hzz8iqiITEouLEchRIMjaJbu25XY20mXTh7Lcr_OZK1n_337Mp 9GFugpcT3Up2uRUAWfA27eWvfb3AyujjZEaW/Budges-copy.jpg?psid=1

He got into trouble rather often, since we went from a French Poodle to a much larger Fox Hound with lots of energy, and my mom didn't know how to handle it and my sister and I weren't much better at that age. There are two rather memorable times that I remember with him. The first was on a backpacking trip I did with my Step Dad, hiking up to Gore Lake near Vail. It nestles right into the Gore Range and is rather steep and has some cliffs and such. As was his nature Budges, the Hound, was following his nose a bit too much and letting his legs carry him wherever the nose went. This time, this meant over a couple of small knolls at full tilt. What he didn't know was that after the third knoll was a rather large cliff. All we hear is the usual Bawl of a hound, followed shortly by a yelp. My Step Dad and I ran over there, and see him clawing at the brink of the cliff. Nothing we could have done, but he just barely clawed his way back up. Needless to say, he was a bit more sedate for the rest of the trip and stuck close to camp.

Note to self, don't let dogs with long legs, no self control, and the energy of a puppy be in the room by himself with an entire Thanksgiving dinner laid out. I mentioned earlier that we had only had experience with a French Poodle, name Gridly (after a WWII admiral or something...inside joke), which maybe came halfway up your shin. She was still around, but our first Thanksgiving with Budges did not end well. Nothing will be said of the overcooked Goose that my Step Dad made (and went untouched by the dogs despite its proximity to other the other food), but it is amazing how much a 12 week old Hound puppy and a 14 year old Poodle can eat in the two minutes they were alone. He got half a turkey, most of a Pecan Pie, plenty of fixings and the rest was spread out all over the floor. While I'm sure it was worth it, I've never seen a hound dogs ears burn more since.

Thankfully we did manage to salvage at least some of the meal and all got enough Turkey. Despite his transgression, I imagine it was one of the better Turkey days for Budges. He certainly got to see plenty of them, and lived a good life into the late early teens (what is that, 90 something in Dog Years). Lots of chasing bunnies and deer, even if none were around. Brings memories of James Heriot and Where the Red Fern Grows (two of my favorites growing up and still today).