PDA

View Full Version : Moab March 25th-April 2nd 2011

Brad
December 10th, 2010, 08:10 PM
I know this is planning way ahead but that is how I work best on week long trips.
We are definately going for this week as it is Neil's Spring Break and my best opportunity
to go for more than just a couple of days. Planning on camping out and would love to get
a group going if anyone is interested. Fun in numbers and all that!

Post up any interest or any ideas. :thumb:

Chris
December 10th, 2010, 08:18 PM
I tend to plan about a week in advance but I'll give a 'probably!'

Brad
December 10th, 2010, 08:22 PM
I would also like to entertain the idea of hoteling it. Anyone have any experiences doing this? Cost? Convenience?
I am sure Marty will chime in, been PMing him about it.

Chris
December 10th, 2010, 08:37 PM
We always hotel Brad! Usually we stay at Adventure Inn, nice people, decent rates, clean rooms, hot showers.

Rob
December 10th, 2010, 09:16 PM
I'm likely in.

transplant87
December 10th, 2010, 09:37 PM
hahahah i wish i could go. i dont know if transplant can make the trip

ROKTAXI
December 10th, 2010, 09:39 PM
I would also like to entertain the idea of hoteling it. Anyone have any experiences doing this? Cost? Convenience?
I am sure Marty will chime in, been PMing him about it.

I really don't have any special info on motels other than I know one of the motel managers at the Apache Motel that has a 2 bedroom mobile home behind the motel they rent out. I don't know what the rates will be but in the past they have given it to me for around $75. It's a great unit to share with some else. It has a FULL kitchen and a livingroom.

lovesdirt9
December 11th, 2010, 01:28 PM
I would love to do this trip but I don't think I can swing the last week of the month. I'm gonna double check though, would be super fun!

Haku
December 11th, 2010, 01:38 PM
As long as that isn't EJS week, I'm down for a run to Moab. That place owes me a rematch after my engine blew up there last year. Thats a great time of year to go though, so I'm down. Only thing that would stop me is getting a "too good to pass up" employment opportunity.

Mporter
December 11th, 2010, 01:39 PM
I'd love to, but I probably wont be able to.

Haku
December 11th, 2010, 01:45 PM
Oops.......that is indeed the week of EJS this year. Thought it would be, since it usually aligns with Spring Breaks. Don't think I want to go that week. I would say that anyone going should arrange for camping or motel accommodations now rather then waiting. Get ready for crowds and craziness too. Never made it there myself that week, but hear its pretty crazy with that many people flooding the town.

Brody
December 11th, 2010, 05:04 PM
What Josh said. The EJS week is one to be avoided at all costs if you want to any wheeling. Not speaking from a person who has been there then, as I probably would still be in jail for sorting out various brain dead folks, but just about everyone I know who isn't a vendor says simply do not go. 4 hour waits on popular trails, the mounties are getting their yearly tax revenue and busting everyone for everything...

Depends on what you like, I guess. If you like 'scenes' more than wheeling in a beautiful area, then this is probably the spot to be...I would avoid it like the plague, myself. Two weeks before and two weeks after are supposed to be alright.

Brad
December 11th, 2010, 05:41 PM
Enlighten me on EJS. I have no choice on when Neil has spring break unfortunately.

Mporter
December 11th, 2010, 05:45 PM
EJS (Easter Jeep Safari) basically a huge gathering of jeep guys, lots of vendors, coverage, etc.

You definitely will run into huge crowds on trails/trailheads, and a lot of dicks.

Rob
December 11th, 2010, 06:18 PM
Oops.......that is indeed the week of EJS this year.

Not according to the Red Rock 4-Wheelers, who put on the event. From the website: April 16th - 24th, 2011 (Easter, which moves around the calender, is April 24 next year).

Brad
December 11th, 2010, 11:17 PM
I think Marty said it was in April.

Rob
December 11th, 2010, 11:25 PM
Brad, see the post right above yours.:)

Haku
December 12th, 2010, 01:55 AM
Yeah....sorry about that. The first site I clicked on Google said it was the last week of March, but it was the 2010 dates. My bad.

So yeah, I'm in again. Still might be a bit crazy since a lot of Colorado region schools have Spring Break that week. I'm good though as long as there is no Spring Break or I don't manage to land a spot on a Tour this spring.

Robert B
December 12th, 2010, 08:01 AM
if i can get all the little things done on the blazer and then still get money for the trip (would be great if anyone could come up with a rough estimate for the whole trip) then this could be great fun :)

ROKTAXI
December 12th, 2010, 08:02 AM
You're right Rob, the "games" begin on the 16th. However, traditionally, large groups begin to emerge 1 to 2 weeks before because of varying spring break schedules. If we have unseasonably warm weather the crowds will more than double and visa versa.

Brad
December 12th, 2010, 12:51 PM
I love your avatar Marty!

Neil is in catholic school, generally they do not share the same week for spring break.
I cannot be certain tho.

ROKTAXI
December 12th, 2010, 02:01 PM
I love your avatar Marty!
... and it's not photo chopped! One of Nat. Geo. top 10

Haku
December 12th, 2010, 06:04 PM
Neil is in catholic school, generally they do not share the same week for spring break.
I cannot be certain tho.

I just know that Bryan's (Red Rhino) said thats when his kids had theirs too, and they go to public school in Englewood. Either way, as long as its not EJS I'm down for a trip out there. Somone should come that has a Tow rig that can fit my truck too :p.

foxtrot
December 13th, 2010, 12:11 AM
I think I could probably go, have to calculate the paid time off that I will have. as far as cost goes, it all depends on where you stay. I'm sure you could find camping for free, so all you would pay for would be gas and food. if you want a hotel, it will be much more. also, packing your own food will save also. this is what I figure:

camping:
lodging: free
food: maybe 100-150 total depending on what you bring
gas: about 400 miles to moab from the springs. my truck gets 18mpg so thats about 120 round trip plus the gas you use there. depends on what trails.
I would say no more than 500 total if you are camping

Brody
December 13th, 2010, 07:21 AM
I think you can count on finding places to camp where you don't have to pay. If you can't, then you are simply not looking hard enough. Check with Marty or Pathrat for suggestions. Also, I don't think Josh and Todd paid for any camping, so they may have some ideas. A cheap bag style portable shower is worth the $10, too, unless you are one of those people who thinks that if you are camping or outside for extended times, keeping clean and brushing your teeth is something you only do in town. Don't laugh, either, as I happen to have some friends like that....not too many. I never could figure out that mindset. I have spent huge amounts of time outdoors camping, on the road, hitchhiking, climbing, etc, etc, and it isn't that big a deal....

Brad
December 13th, 2010, 08:22 AM
I agree, camping is cheaper and I have alot of gear all set for that. Only thing I would need to source is a protable toilet, per Marty it is required.
Have a Tent, large one, have a shelter, 10x10 with mosquito netting, etc etc etc..

Trailrat99XJ
December 13th, 2010, 08:45 AM
I try to go down there around this time every year. I am a strong maybe. We always stay at the Big Horn lodge. Reasonable and there is room for all of our rigs.

Chris
December 13th, 2010, 08:49 AM
Brad, I picked up a portable flushable camp toilet for $50 that Has never been used. I'll sell for the same price if you're interested.

This is the one I have: http://safetycentral.com/vipopofltomo.html

Brad
December 13th, 2010, 09:08 AM
I'll take it Chris!

Brad
December 13th, 2010, 09:23 AM
Best deal I have found on rooms is Inca Inn and motel for $56 to $65 depending if you want the king bed or Queen bed.
Big Horn does not list a price for that week in March, but given the weekend before is $109 per night I am geussing something
is happening the weekend before I am planning on going.

Or camping is probably free. I am down for either really. $500 or so for a week of lodging is not bad.

Dirt Claude
December 13th, 2010, 10:41 AM
I plan on making this run unless something comes up between now and then.

Mr6dwg
December 13th, 2010, 10:56 AM
I want to "get in on this deal, too" I have only gone once. That was July. I would like to see what cooler weather feels like out there.

Brad
December 13th, 2010, 11:18 AM
Shot off a email to adventure Inn as well per Chris' recomendation. They do not list their rates on the website. Previous rate I found was through priceline.

Chris
December 13th, 2010, 12:47 PM
Be patient, they will get back to you and may be closed during the slow season.

Chris
December 13th, 2010, 01:16 PM
I'll take it Chris!

Let me know when you want to come by Brad!

Brad
December 13th, 2010, 01:33 PM
Probably be mid next week. Swamped with side work plus regular work up until next Teus.
Even if we hotel it I still want this for trips here in Colo. Looking at one of these to go with it.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/418qKrmqVhL._SS500_.jpg

Haku
December 13th, 2010, 01:51 PM
Todd and I stayed at the Potash Campground, which is fairly basic. The one upside is that it has a toilet there. This is where the boat launch is for Cataract Canyon raft trip.

It might be a pay site now though, since they were ripping out trees and such to make room for sites. If it is, its going to be BLM though, so nothing too expensive(like $7 a night). We also found some stuff near Behind the Rocks that would work. Last but not least, there is always Area BFE, which is "donation" camping but nothing expensive.

I still need to purchase a tent, but thats easily done before this. Might get a nice 3+ season, since I might want to do some winter camping this year too.

Aaron
December 13th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Throw it up on the calendar if the dates are firm (and they seem to be). I doubt I'll be able to make it but anything is possible. The bride will have Wed and Thursday classes so we might be able to go out for a 25th through the 30th or something. We'll see.

Chris
December 13th, 2010, 02:11 PM
Probably be mid next week. Swamped with side work plus regular work up until next Teus.
Even if we hotel it I still want this for trips here in Colo. Looking at one of these to go with it.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/418qKrmqVhL._SS500_.jpg

That's fine Brad, it's just collecting dust in the garage...

Brad
December 13th, 2010, 02:21 PM
Well this is from Adventure Inn:

Good Afternoon Brad!

Thank you for your interest in the Adventure Inn. I'm sorry we do not have space for a group during those dates. I can recommend the Rustic Inn, Apache, or the Redstone Inn for reasonably priced rooms. I hope you enjoy your trip to Moab.

Best Regards,
Mandy
Innkeeper

I will keep looking. I will also be posting this in the planned trail area.

Haku
December 13th, 2010, 05:59 PM
A condo sounds better to me then a hotel. Tim Young and his crew and I were thinking about doing it that way back in October. That way we could cook dinner or make breakfast for ourselves without having to get out the camping stove. I don't need to camp, though I'm fine with it too. Even camping for a few nights and staying in a condo for a few nights would work. However it goes, I'm down for a trip there. Just be prepared to get bugged to heck if you don't want to go on Hells Revenge after Fins n' Things :p

Brad
December 13th, 2010, 07:59 PM
I posted the actual run in planned runs. I do like the condo idea as well.

Rob
December 13th, 2010, 08:45 PM
Condo sounds good. But if others want to camp, I can do that, too. (Particularly if finances are tight next March.)

Trailrat99XJ
December 14th, 2010, 01:49 PM
We always go a couple weeks before EJS and we pretty much have the trails to ourselves.

Aaron
December 14th, 2010, 03:07 PM
Looks like we could get this group campsite for 45 dollars per night per night. It holds 15-20 people. A thought...

http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/moab/recreation/campgrounds/group_campgrounds/goose_island_reservable.html

Brad
December 14th, 2010, 03:12 PM
That's not bad at all. Given the gear I have that is a definate possibility.
I am finding the condo cost is fairly close to the cost of a hotel room.
Depending on how many people pay what.

Haku
December 14th, 2010, 07:43 PM
That's not bad at all. Given the gear I have that is a definate possibility.
I am finding the condo cost is fairly close to the cost of a hotel room.
Depending on how many people pay what.

I'm down with the Group Site. I haven't stayed in a building while camping there, but its a great area to camp. Thats is a great spot too, though it is right next to the road. On the plus side, it is right next to the river too, and like 5 minutes from town and a bunch of the good "classic" trails.

That gets my vote so far. If we are gonna do that, we better do it soon though, as I'm sure they start to fill up that time of year. Guess that would be true of any thing one can reserve there.

Brad
December 14th, 2010, 09:55 PM
Got a response from a condo. Most of them go by the off season ends at the end of feb. There are also a couple that go until the end of march. Reservations for some are quite reasonable. $99-$250 per night for a 3 bedroom depending on weekday vs weekend. Jenn expressed to me she would rather not camp but will if we all are. :thumb: