December 15th, 2010, 08:33 PM
Anyone interested in a run that day?
It is the earliest I am available.

AccordRanger
December 15th, 2010, 08:58 PM
I may be in for it!

Chris
December 15th, 2010, 09:11 PM
That's a Saturday and I may be up for it Brad!

Rob
December 15th, 2010, 09:24 PM
Do you need to even ask me? :)

Brad
December 15th, 2010, 09:48 PM
That's enough for me. Now to pick a trail. I am thinking up by Rob somewhere.

Rob
December 15th, 2010, 09:59 PM
I am thinking up by Rob somewhere.

The dogs have created some nice whoop-de-doos and moguls in my back yard. But it'd be a a really short trail. :)

Rock Creek was pretty sweet. Other than that, the only option is probably Left Hand.

Josh mentioned, though, that he hit Miller Rock. If there's not snow there, that would be a fun trail. You just have to all the ranch so they know we're coming and will open the gate to get out. You can come back out the way you came, but if anyone's coming the other way, someone's backing up for a while. I haven't been on that trail since 2008 and would like to get on it again.

Haku
December 16th, 2010, 04:58 AM
The dogs have created some nice whoop-de-doos and moguls in my back yard. But it'd be a a really short trail. :)

Rock Creek was pretty sweet. Other than that, the only option is probably Left Hand.

Josh mentioned, though, that he hit Miller Rock. If there's not snow there, that would be a fun trail. You just have to all the ranch so they know we're coming and will open the gate to get out. You can come back out the way you came, but if anyone's coming the other way, someone's backing up for a while. I haven't been on that trail since 2008 and would like to get on it again.

Rock creek was probably more fun for you guys since you were breaking trail. For us, it took 20 minutes since we didn't have to. Fun, but not worth a trip all by itself. I'm sure we will get more snow between now and then, so it should be fun again.

We were worried about the gate on Miller too, since there is no cell service up there. Luckily, another user from that area had cut the lock off already. Its really crappy of them to do that if you ask me. It is one thing to do it in a place where cell service is there, but to post a number without it is just silly. What, are you suppose to schedule a time with them before hand and hope you make it?

Anybody know what the easement is there? Seems to me that it shouldn't be allowed to be locked if there is a FS easement. I can see how it might be touchy while kids are there having unknown vehicles drive through, but when camp isn't in session there shouldn't be a lock IMHO. Its not like it isn't easy to get in the other side and mess with stuff, so there is no real reason to do it other then they want to control access. I meant to call the Boulder Ranger district about it, but spaced it. If I remember, I'll find out what the official response is on it.

Brad
December 16th, 2010, 06:54 AM
Sounds good!

Brody
December 16th, 2010, 07:06 AM
Miller Rock has been pretty much a one way trail for years. Yes, supposedly you can request that someone open the gate, but it usually does't happen and everyone usually runs the trail like it is, with a return down the same trail....and you really don't want to meet anyone on it.

If my heap is running, we may make it for a New Year's day run, whatever trail is chosen. We don't party for New Years, so we aren't going to be dealing with no sleep and hangovers....

Fatboris
December 16th, 2010, 09:48 AM
We were worried about the gate on Miller too, since there is no cell service up there. Luckily, another user from that area had cut the lock off already. Its really crappy of them to do that if you ask me. It is one thing to do it in a place where cell service is there, but to post a number without it is just silly. What, are you suppose to schedule a time with them before hand and hope you make it?

I may be up for it, as long as it's a trail my heep can handle.

As far as the gate at Miller Rock, we were just there a few weeks ago and had no issue. Fredrok called the day before and gave them a heads up, we hit the gate, called them (Verizon and ATT had service) they unlocked the gate and we rolled right through.

Brad
December 16th, 2010, 09:50 AM
I have AT&T if that helps.. :D

Dirt Claude
December 16th, 2010, 10:34 AM
I'd be up for a trail run on New Year's day. I'm not familiar with that many trails up north so I've got no preference on trail selection.

Brad
December 16th, 2010, 11:36 AM
Should I make it official? Miller rock or Rock creek?

Funrover
December 16th, 2010, 11:38 AM
I will see if I can do that, I believe I have it off

Chris
December 16th, 2010, 12:09 PM
Should I make it official? Miller rock or Rock creek?

Yes, you choose the trail!

Rob
December 16th, 2010, 12:11 PM
Make it Miller Rock. If there's a problem or the trail ends up being closed, we can head up the road to Rock Creek.

Brad
December 16th, 2010, 12:12 PM
Done deal! Posting it up!

Haku
December 16th, 2010, 07:36 PM
I may be up for it, as long as it's a trail my heep can handle.

As far as the gate at Miller Rock, we were just there a few weeks ago and had no issue. Fredrok called the day before and gave them a heads up, we hit the gate, called them (Verizon and ATT had service) they unlocked the gate and we rolled right through.

hmmm....I have ATT and had zilch for service at the gate, and I think Cameron had Verizon and nothing from him too (not sure though). Running that trail was a spur of the moment kind of thing, so no ability to call ahead really. I just don't get why they would have it locked at all this time of year. No kids to steal, easy unrestricted access to the property from the main camp entrance so if someone really wanted to get on the property it wouldn't be hard. It was clear that someone else either couldn't get a hold of the office or was too impatient to do so and cut the bolt, as that is how we found it, not just left open.

Maybe I'm looking into it too much, but it just seems silly to me. Fun trail though, and its doable for just about anyone on here. Cameron's rig is currently only mildly built with a small lift and some larger tires, but he had no problems at all. The only thing I would say is that if that area gets a bunch of snow, there are a few places where its off camber and the road is narrow, and not much to stop you from rolling down a steep embankment. It will be obvious if that is the case at the beginning though, and the main place I am thinking of had enough room for a rig or two to turn around. just before it. If its like that at Miller, then Rock Creek and Bunce will be more "fun" then they are currently, and I'm sure it would still be worth the drive up there.

fredrok
December 18th, 2010, 05:48 PM
:whatAreYouThinking:Cut the lock? WEAK WEAK WEAK. Doesn't matter the reason it's locked, it's still weak. I'm not going to get on any soap box or whatever....yes, I am....think about all the forces that are currently shutting down or would like to shut down our trails. And our current administration fuels that fire immensely. This crap just gives them more ammo to do it.

FYI for future Miller Rock wheelers:

I called the day before I ran that trail and arranged a time span with the manager, Clayton, and he couldn't have been any nicer or more accommodating. http://www.glacierviewranch.com/contact.html Coming down from Miller Rock I just check my phone until I got signal, stopped and called to confirm we were good. Collectively, 5 minutes of my time and an ounce of effort and all's cool.

Trust me when I tell you my iphone and att is the biggest piece of ***** combo I've had the displeasure of waiting for my contract to expire for and I still pulled it off.

Scooter
December 18th, 2010, 07:08 PM
I might be up for this run as well...

Haku
December 18th, 2010, 08:35 PM
:whatAreYouThinking:Cut the lock? WEAK WEAK WEAK. Doesn't matter the reason it's locked, it's still weak. I'm not going to get on any soap box or whatever....yes, I am....think about all the forces that are currently shutting down or would like to shut down our trails. And our current administration fuels that fire immensely. This crap just gives them more ammo to do it.

FYI for future Miller Rock wheelers:

I called the day before I ran that trail and arranged a time span with the manager, Clayton, and he couldn't have been any nicer or more accommodating. http://www.glacierviewranch.com/contact.html Coming down from Miller Rock I just check my phone until I got signal, stopped and called to confirm we were good. Collectively, 5 minutes of my time and an ounce of effort and all's cool.

Trust me when I tell you my iphone and att is the biggest piece of ***** combo I've had the displeasure of waiting for my contract to expire for and I still pulled it off.

Like I said, we didn't know we were going to be on the trail, and both of us were looking at our phones during the whole trail to see if we got service. Congrats for getting service when we couldn't though. We didn't cut the lock, but found it that way when we got to the gate. Clearly its an issue they have a lot, since there were 3 locks on the chain, only one of which was cut. It would have been a decision between cutting it and turning around to go all the way back, as we both checked for service and had no luck. I don't know what to tell you, but I promise we weren't looking for an excuse to do damage to their stuff like you seem to think we were. I in no way condone that kind of stuff.

However, I'm not surprised that we found it cut, since the exit to the trail is through the camp and a locked gate on a Forest Service trail is going to get that kind of treatment sometimes. Sorry if it seemed like I was saying you should definitely cut the cut lock or something, but that is not the case. I don't want this to turn into a big thing though, I just want to make it clear that it isn't behavior that anyone on Front Range does. We are more about taking the more legit routes, which is why I am planning on calling the BRD and seeing what their stance is on it and what the actual deal is with it. I'll try and get that done early next week, I just keep spacing it during normal business hours.

fredrok
December 18th, 2010, 10:28 PM
I don't know what to tell you, but I promise we weren't looking for an excuse to do damage to their stuff like you seem to think we were. I in no way condone that kind of stuff.
However, I'm not surprised that we found it cut, since the exit to the trail is through the camp and a locked gate on a Forest Service trail is going to get that kind of treatment sometimes. Sorry if it seemed like I was saying you should definitely cut the cut lock or something, but that is not the case. I don't want this to turn into a big thing though

Haku, I wasn't accusing anyone on here of cutting it. You mentioned you found it cut, stated your viewpoints on that and I was just throwing my opinion in that it's a d1ck thing to do in general (emphasis on the fact it's also not just a forestry gate out in nowhere but a private entity which monitors it) . I think statements like that need to be made to remind us all how fragile our privileges to wheel really are. Sorry if it offended you.

Haku
December 18th, 2010, 11:28 PM
No offense taken, and I'm aware that its a touchy subject. Thanks for the reminder.

Haku
December 20th, 2010, 12:16 PM
I called the BRD today to find more out. The first lady said that if its on MVUM as a through road then it should be passable and free to drive on but she couldn't tell me if there is an easement across the camp or not, so she transfered me to a lady named Karen who is a more "on the grounds" kind of lady and knows more about it, but even she couldn't say if there was an easement. She is talking to her "lands" expert and getting back to me. I just wanted to see if there was an actual "right" to drive through it via an easement, or whether it was just the camp being friendly enough to let people out when they could fully restrict access.

That said, according to the MVUM, the other end of the trail (the guys driveway) isn't technically a "through", since the trail on the map starts 100 feet off the county road. There is a small green sign posted "252.1" and there are other houses, but its not technically "allowed". I think the people are cool with it as long as you don't linger, make a ruckus, or cause damage.

I'll let ya'll know what I find out.

Brad
December 20th, 2010, 12:51 PM
Interesting Josh. Thanks for following up with this! :thumb:

Haku
December 21st, 2010, 12:12 PM
So I just got a message from Karen Boulder Forest Service Ranger District about the definitive answer on this one. Despite it being on the MVUM as an open trail all the way to the County Road, there is no easement across the Ranch/Camp place. So it is in fact them "just being cool" and letting people through. So I recommend planning this trail in advance and call ahead or prepare to do it as an "up and back" run. Not sure if they would do it, but they have the right to prosecute if you do come on the land without permission.

Brad
December 21st, 2010, 12:17 PM
So a preplanned contact should be arranged prior to the day of run. Otherwise like you said Josh, plan on having to turn around and come back.

Haku
December 21st, 2010, 12:19 PM
That is advisable yes. You may be able to get a hold of them "on the day" if you have cell service, but if you want a better chance of getting through the gate then calling ahead would be a good plan.

Chris
December 21st, 2010, 12:22 PM
IMHO it would be best to call soon since New Years Day is typically a day people have some kind of plans ahead of time. Calling ahead would also display courtesy to the lamd owner and enable long term planning on our part.

Haku
December 21st, 2010, 12:28 PM
IMHO it would be best to call soon since New Years Day is typically a day people have some kind of plans ahead of time. Calling ahead would also display courtesy to the lamd owner and enable long term planning on our part.

Good Point. I imagine they would be fine with just leaving it open over the new years holiday, but I'm not sure. The camp is wide open on the other end, so if it were me I would just leave it open, but who knows how they feel about it.

Here is to hoping that there is a lack of snow on that trail for New Years. Good news is that if there is too much snow on Miller, Bunce and Ironclads will be much more challenging and fun.

Brad
December 21st, 2010, 12:49 PM
You have not contacted the camp right Josh?
If not I will take it upon myself to give them a ring.

Haku
December 21st, 2010, 12:51 PM
No....haven't talked to them at all. As "trip leader" I figured it was left to you.

Brad
December 21st, 2010, 12:53 PM
No....haven't talked to them at all. As "trip leader" I figured it was left to you.

As did I. Calling...

Rob
December 21st, 2010, 12:54 PM
Calling...

Can you ask how much snow they got up there?

Brad
December 21st, 2010, 12:59 PM
Talked to Austen Bickford, the maintenance ranger. Not only will he make sure the gate is unlocked but he said he may join us for the run! :thumb:

He said the snow was only a foot deep at the deepest point.

Chris
December 21st, 2010, 01:02 PM
Very cool Brad, I hope he chooses to join us for the run!

Thank you!

Brad
December 21st, 2010, 01:03 PM
He said if he joins us he will be at the trailhead in a yellow explorer. :thumb:

Fordguy77
December 21st, 2010, 03:18 PM
Thanks Brad for the leg work!

Thank you!
x2

AccordRanger
December 21st, 2010, 10:59 PM
He said if he joins us he will be at the trailhead in a yellow explorer. :thumb:

Yes I may not be the only Explorer!

Brody
December 22nd, 2010, 06:27 AM
May be up for this depending on if I manage to get the electrical problem solved on my heap. So far I have gone though almost the entire electrical system from front to back looking for the "jump out in your face, this is it" problem. Found a bunch of stuff that was showing signs of wear and use (it has been 6 years since I did the swap), some very minor stuff that may have added up to a combined minor current draw, but not anything out of the ordinary. Now it is almost all re wired, re routed, cleaned up and almost ready to be put back together. Guess I won't know for sure until I get the batteries installed and turn the key, but it needed to be done anyway. I slopped in some accessory wiring and never loomed it over those years and that has always bothered me as I did a bit of 'in a real hurry/ass work' on it, then removed some accessory lighting, and didn't clean it up well, either.

I guess I'll find out soon...

Aaron
December 22nd, 2010, 10:40 AM

Thank you!

He has requested membership as well. He'll be on as soon as he picks a username.

Brad
December 22nd, 2010, 10:49 AM
Excellent! Sounded like a nice guy on the phone! :thumb:

Skatelove303
December 22nd, 2010, 12:25 PM
I would like to do a new years day run, Gotta get a new water pump and Serp belt for the rover though and my pushbar reinstalled. As long as its not a wicked hard trail lol.

Brad
December 22nd, 2010, 02:48 PM
If you think your rig can make it join us on the planned trail run area. :thumb:

Skatelove303
December 22nd, 2010, 04:57 PM
I totally saw your rig at kings the other day! very nice Brad! Well what do you think? you know my rover!

Fordguy77
December 22nd, 2010, 09:18 PM
May be up for this depending on if I manage to get the electrical problem solved on my heap. So far I have gone though almost the entire electrical system from front to back looking for the "jump out in your face, this is it" problem. Found a bunch of stuff that was showing signs of wear and use (it has been 6 years since I did the swap), some very minor stuff that may have added up to a combined minor current draw, but not anything out of the ordinary. Now it is almost all re wired, re routed, cleaned up and almost ready to be put back together. Guess I won't know for sure until I get the batteries installed and turn the key, but it needed to be done anyway. I slopped in some accessory wiring and never loomed it over those years and that has always bothered me as I did a bit of 'in a real hurry/ass work' on it, then removed some accessory lighting, and didn't clean it up well, either.

I guess I'll find out soon...

If you still need an OBDII scanner let me know pete.

Brad
December 22nd, 2010, 10:01 PM
It's coming along nicely! What lift do you have again?

94ToyBear
December 22nd, 2010, 10:31 PM
i maybe in ! ill see if fred would come too

foxtrot
December 22nd, 2010, 10:40 PM
dooooo eeeeeettttt

Skatelove303
December 24th, 2010, 11:18 PM
2" OME heavy duty springs and shocks.