PDA

View Full Version : Hi Lift or Trail Jack???

KnuckleHead
December 16th, 2010, 01:16 PM
Well the time is getting close to me getting a jack..... but which one?

Hi Lift ---- Cast/Steel or X-Treme?
OR
Smittybuilt ---- Trail Jack?

Thanks for any and all input....

Chris
December 16th, 2010, 01:43 PM
Me too Happy, I'm not ready yet but here's all you need: http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/2097200663.html

Brad
December 16th, 2010, 01:47 PM
Something I need to pick up as well. Looking to pick up a new one with a mount for the roof rack.

Brody
December 16th, 2010, 02:18 PM
Ditto on the Hi Lift. Push, pull, lift, spread, and they have been around for years. Not to mention the fact that you can find them in good shape in both pawn shops and craigslist for about $25. I used them on the farm when we were growing up in Florida, but they didn't have the cute Hi Lift name then. A tried and true performer that does exactly what it supposed to do.

scout man
December 16th, 2010, 02:32 PM
watch it with that one chris. The "old time" phrase in there scares me. Only because my scout came with a "old time" farmers jack that vaguely resembled a high lift, but was extremely ricketty and scary!!

Happy, the extreme is overkill for the price IMO. You dont really gain much, and it costs a lot more. Also, keep in mind for a taller rig like yours (or i suspect it is) you will probably want the taller, 60" jack. I know the shorter jack wouldnt do much of anything for my rig, and I bet you sit close to the same height.

4finger
December 16th, 2010, 03:28 PM
id say hi-lift. the other one is overkill. sometimes buying the name means buying quality (warn, Marlin(yota guys)), and sometimes buying the name is just that- buying a name. you can buy (or make) a bigger "foot" for the hi-lifts. having that connector clamp on top is nice to hook to things to make the jack into a come-along but with a few bolts, a welder, some extra steel, and a good imagination you can make one. im looking into making a slide on type adapter that is a chunk of pipe (cut in half) with an ID the same as my bumpers and sliders pipe OD, so i can have a more "secure" lifting on those peices. if you have a winch youll have a stronger, faster, and farther reaching version of the come-along.
the spreading part ive never had to do so i cant help there.

Also, keep in mind for a taller rig like yours (or i suspect it is) you will probably want the taller, 60" jack. I know the shorter jack wouldnt do much of anything for my rig, and I bet you sit close to the same height.

this time a quadrilionbajillion..... i have a 48 incher and i have 36ish inches till the sliders and more till the bumper. im out of jack before i have fully released the suspension- on flat ground. so i carry a few chunks of 4x6 wood (and alot of hope that i break down on the flat) till i get off my lazy butt and buy the 60 inch version. i also carry a chunk of chain to wrap around the frame and axle to help with having less droop. (saw that trick on pirates yota bible)