PDA

View Full Version : High Oil Pressure

DETN8R
December 21st, 2010, 10:43 PM
Me and Adam went wheeling this weekend and I noticed my oil pressure guage was maxed out at 80. I checked my oil and I was pretty low so I added more. Even though I now have an acceptable amount of Oil my oil pressure guage is still at 80.

Any advice?

Hypoid
December 21st, 2010, 11:04 PM
Plan A: Replace the sender. Hope you get lucky and not have to do anything else.

Plan B: Put a mechanical gauge on the engine. Find out what the real pressure is.

Brody
December 22nd, 2010, 05:37 AM
Can't add anything more to what Mike said, except that low oil usually registers as low pressure, not high. Another thing that would point to a bad sender rather than anything else.

Also, if you do go with a straight on mechanical gauge, do not use the cheese plastic tubing, but get the copper tubing that is the upgrade. Not only is the plastic a royal ***** to work with, but it is easily broken or burned through...and it goes into the cab where the gauge is mounted....

DETN8R
December 22nd, 2010, 11:27 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I'll check these out this weekend.

DETN8R
January 15th, 2011, 07:47 AM
Well, like most problems. I left it alone long enough and eventually it fixed itself. Its back down to about 45psi, where it usually was.

DKDunn04
January 16th, 2011, 02:53 AM
If you have the 4.0, sending units are a pretty common failure.