PDA

View Full Version : Sway Bar Disco's

Fatboris
December 29th, 2010, 03:22 PM
Seeing as my sway bar links are sufficient length to last me a while I don't want to drop $100 for quick disco's. There are several how-to's online to make your own. That said, would it be an issue to use a regular clevis pin from the hardware store? I have been unable to find grade 8 clevis pins so I picked up a pair last weekend at True Value. My plan was to use these and of course eyeball them every few weeks to make sure they aren't bending or wearing out.

Has anyone done this mod or have experience with standard hardware? The ads I've looked at for quick disco's don't mention grade 8 clevis pins so I'm assuming they're a lesser grade as well.

Thanks.

Brody
December 29th, 2010, 03:58 PM
Bunch of stuff on that subject in the Jeep section of the Make and Model links on the forum, too.

No one seems to use anything other than regular clevis pins, to answer your question, but if you can find some grade 8 ones, then you don't have anything to lose using them, either. The people I know who have done their own home brew set up just used the regular ones with no issues that I know of.

Aaron
December 29th, 2010, 04:18 PM
I've got an idea for ya. I had my auto sway bar for my rubi go bad under warranty and I had them give me the broken one back. I haven't checked it out but it was most likely the electrics that were causing issues.

I have seen a writeup online where someone took this and made it manual disconnect which was way easier to use than typical sway bar disconnects.

http://articles.jeepforum.com/How_to_put_a_2007_JK_electric_swaybar_in_your_YJ

It doesn't look too hard to do. Drop me off a case of good beer and it's yours. My garage is getting crowded.
It would be a slick setup.

Fatboris
December 29th, 2010, 05:42 PM
Drop me off a case of good beer and it's yours.

Deal, that looks very cool. Thanks. We can coordinate Sat since you're doing the Miller Rock run too.

Aaron
December 29th, 2010, 06:09 PM
Deal, that looks very cool. Thanks. We can coordinate Sat since you're doing the Miller Rock run too.

Im not on that run :)

Fatboris
December 29th, 2010, 06:56 PM
I was practicing my Jedi mind trick. you WILL be on the run this weekend. Just need more practice.

Let me know what works for you and I can drive up to Brighton. Weekends typically work best. You gonna have room in that garage for all that beer?:D

Aaron
December 29th, 2010, 08:01 PM
I was practicing my Jedi mind trick. you WILL be on the run this weekend. Just need more practice.

Let me know what works for you and I can drive up to Brighton. Weekends typically work best. You gonna have room in that garage for all that beer?:D

I'll be home Sat evening and Sunday AM I think. We can schedule a time as it gets closer.

As for beer, I have dedicated space :)

Rob
December 29th, 2010, 08:01 PM
I can drive up to Brighton

I just noticed Aaron list himself as living "near Brighton." Is that code for "Commerce City"? :)

Aaron
December 29th, 2010, 08:08 PM
I just noticed Aaron list himself as living "near Brighton." Is that code for "Commerce City"? :)

Yeah. I technically live in Commerce City but folks typically associate that with criminals and crackheads so I usually say near Brighton or Reunion or out by the airport.

Chris
December 29th, 2010, 08:28 PM
So should I say I live in Aurora a couple blocks south of Colfax or Aurora near the airport? :D

Aaron
December 29th, 2010, 08:40 PM
So should I say I live in Aurora a couple blocks south of Colfax or Aurora near the airport? :D

Fine.. I fixed it. I'm now a proud crackhead and criminal!!!

Jackie
December 29th, 2010, 08:46 PM
We love you anyways!

Rob
December 29th, 2010, 10:17 PM
but folks typically associate that with criminals and crackheads

Hey, Jock's neither a criminal nor a crackhead. :)

Reminds me of a guy who lives in southwest Weld and lists his residence as approximately Boulder. :lmao:

Me, I proudly live in Methmont, affectionately nicknamed (by approximate Boulderites) Longtucky. :thumb:

Rob
December 29th, 2010, 10:18 PM
I'm now a proud crackhead and criminal

Can get a banner for that?

Chris
December 30th, 2010, 09:40 AM
Fine.. I fixed it. I'm now a proud crackhead and criminal!!!

When I was shopping for a 4Runner I met a guy halfway about a hour from here and drove by Reunion. Until then I had no real idea where you lived. Commerce City, like Aurora, has something for everybody! :lmao:

Fatboris
December 30th, 2010, 10:27 AM
I'm now a proud crackhead and criminal

...as opposed to those law-abiding, model citizen crackheads.