PDA

View Full Version : AEV does Moab

Andrew
January 19th, 2011, 12:38 PM
http://www.hulu.com/watch/137331/dangerous-drives-extreme-off-roaders

Decent episode.

I know the guy who bought the Xterra from the guy who rolled it in Moab - there is a short clip of it in that episode.

Aaron
January 19th, 2011, 01:06 PM
:what: XTerras can go off road?

Just kidding. I didn't even know that show existed. I just subscribed.

Thanks Andrew!

Andrew
January 19th, 2011, 01:27 PM
I don't think it's all about offroading but it was pretty interesting.

Brad
January 19th, 2011, 01:34 PM
Seen that some time ago. It was linked on the LR site I frequent. The LR did pretty good considering it was a support vehicle. :thumb:

Andrew
January 19th, 2011, 02:09 PM
Well and Lockhart isn't terribly hard I don't think. The snow is what made it difficult, and having that brute break trail helps. I'm sure my truck could have done it with the trailbreaker in front of me.

Brody
January 19th, 2011, 08:52 PM
Boy, maybe it is just me, but I got thoroughly (like terminally) B O R E D before 10 minutes was up. Not to mention the more than slightly overdone, dead serious "The Result can only be DEATH", "Point of NO RETURN", BS< BS that was repeated way too many times. Maybe I just don't do enough drugs anymore....

Decent film footage...

Rob
January 19th, 2011, 09:11 PM
Maybe I just don't do enough drugs anymore..

I've been saying that for months now. :)

Haku
January 19th, 2011, 09:23 PM
I agree with Brody. Those shows drive me crazy with the "You mess up....you die" stuff. Most of the time when they were saying it, it was in reference to a "shelf road" with a large burm and 15' of room before the drop off. Cool rigs and a cool area, but I think there is more danger on most of the snow runs we do on this forum.

Not sure why the producer/directors of these shows need to convince us that there is massive danger involved with everything. All the shows like Deadliest Catch, Ax Men, Gold Rush, and many others do it to excess. The content of the show is more then enough to keep my interest for a while without it. Keep the "fast cut, jittery camera, scream, and then a sound bite of 'this stuff can kill you in a second'" stuff to a minimum please.

That said, it was mostly worth watching. Not surprised that that Brute goes through fuel pretty quick. I wouldn't expect that a Hemi V8 with 425hp would get particularly good mileage. I have a feeling my Toyota would have made it without reserve tanks at all, or at most 5-10 gallons of extra gas.

Andrew
January 19th, 2011, 09:54 PM
Boy, maybe it is just me, but I got thoroughly (like terminally) B O R E D before 10 minutes was up. Not to mention the more than slightly overdone, dead serious "The Result can only be DEATH", "Point of NO RETURN", BS< BS that was repeated way too many times. Maybe I just don't do enough drugs anymore....

Decent film footage...

Yeah I guess mostly I was interested in the footage itself, and not the guy saying "Well if you roll over you're dead, no questions!" like 50 times.

Aaron
January 20th, 2011, 05:49 AM
Despite the exaggerations, I thought it was entertaining.

Aaron
January 20th, 2011, 05:53 AM
One more exaggeration... They said that one of the dangers of winching was getting killed by a recoiling broken winch cable... But they were all using synthetic rope...

Andrew
January 20th, 2011, 07:10 AM
One more exaggeration... They said that one of the dangers of winching was getting killed by a recoiling broken winch cable... But they were all using synthetic rope...

I noticed that too. I think that was more of the people producing the video not really knowing what they were using and only being familiar with the metal cable.

Brody
January 20th, 2011, 07:16 AM
I guess that I didn't get that far.

If I actually watched more TV, I would probably be more used to sensationalism, as that is what sells, but every time someone posts something from some TV show, I realize just how much I am NOT missing. When those clowns started spouting off about how "dangerous" and "death defying" wheeling was, it was just a bit too much. I have been actively doing what the media calls "death defying sports" for over 40 years, and I don't call them "death defying", even though a small mistake could result is a large ugly puddle of Brody on the ground. They are just another sport. Wheeling to me is a fun and entertaining sport, but falls a little short of the "death defying/deadly" category unless you really, really screw up, especially if you are in a very well set up rig. More people die or get seriously injured from getting hit with a loose Hi Lift jack or tool box than from anything else wheeling during a rollover or tip, anyway...not from the "deadly" trail.

Andrew
January 20th, 2011, 09:46 AM
Yeah and I was laughing at that "shelf road" which when they were on it seemed pretty damned wide to me compared to some of the roads I've been on.

Brody
January 20th, 2011, 11:02 AM
Ditto...I hate shelf roads and that one looked pretty tame to me...

Funrover
January 21st, 2011, 12:18 AM
Slickrock with snow, I bet that adds a whole new element!

RockyMtnHigh
January 21st, 2011, 02:41 AM
They could have done without the pansy driving the Rover if you ask me, he was the biggest contributor of the death defying nonsense and the winch fest comment at the end :rolleyes:. Of course, the dude from Overland wasn't much better, which is kind of surprising seeing how they are suppose to be the end all when it comes to expedition travel. Both of them need to have their "man cards" taken away!

In the end, AEV spent all that money/time on product testing to drive over one obstacle, through one frozen creek and a snowy shelf road, wide enough for a semi. They could have saved themselves a whole lot of time and money just doing MSV/Coney Flats here in the late Fall / late Spring and would have put the test vehicle through much more of a trial in durability. Would love to see them up on Webster Pass in September! :lmao:

In conclusion based on the video, the AEV Jeep is for those with too much money and not enough sense to build it themselves!

Way to go guys, awesome video, thanks for clearing that up for me! :thumb:

Andrew
January 21st, 2011, 07:30 AM
hahaha

That reminds me how they were saying how deep that one water crossing was and I was thinking - "Deep? That's not even over the tires!"

roverrocks
January 21st, 2011, 09:37 AM
I'd seen it before. Gets boring with the over-the-top exaggeration and We-are-defying-Death stuff. Nice Utah views however.

Brody
January 21st, 2011, 10:52 AM
Gets boring with the over-the-top exaggeration and We-are-defying-Death stuff.

Nice to see that I wasn't the only one...That's kinda like saying you had a "Death defying golf game or shuffleboard match..."

wakkjobb
January 21st, 2011, 01:34 PM
Pretty scenery... commentary on danger was hyped a bit much.

I got a chuckle at the first "test"... a creek crossing; my wife's Tribeca has gone through stuff that deep too.

>>Dan

Brad
January 21st, 2011, 02:27 PM
I thought Mosquito pass was more challenging.

Not to defend him but the guy driving the rover was the production manager for the show, in other words all the death defying talk was probably him just trying to justify his position. ;)

Haku
January 21st, 2011, 02:47 PM
I thought Mosquito pass was more challenging.

Not to defend him but the guy driving the rover was the production manager for the show, in other words all the death defying talk was probably him just trying to justify his position. ;)

Yeah....I knew that when his name popped up with the "producer/director" next to it that we were gonna hear some BS. This one was marginally better then the other "dangerous drives" one in Moab. Still, they should go on some real dangerous drives. Like the KOH or the video on this page...

http://southwestcrawlfest.com/ .

There are some seriously sketch lines in that video. The other thought I had was the Rangely event that happens every year, which has a bunch of the really built buggies coming to do lines that only they can get up.

I have a plea in with Matt Farah from "The Smoking Tire" youtube videos to go do KOH coverage, but he is in the middle of starting a TV show to compete with Top Gear America, so it may not/probably won't happen. He frequents the Final Gear forum (Top Gear and Fifth Gear enthusiast forum) and takes ideas for episodes.

So far, only Xtreme4x4 has really captured wheeling like most wheelers see it for me. Their idea of a small budget and ease of installation is a bit skewed, but when they go wheeling with the rigs, they show it like it is and don't sensationalize it. I guess that is to be expected when the host of the show is the Editor for Crawl magazine though.

Jackie
January 21st, 2011, 04:13 PM
Ditto...I hate shelf roads and that one looked pretty tame to me...
I hate them as well...

Although I have never wheeled in snow (and don't intend to any time soon), that shelf road didn't look that intimidating considering what their rigs were capable of. I can understand why the Schafer trail was closed though. Not in a million years would I do those switchbacks in snow. I've never seen Moab in winter, so I really enjoyed to footage!

Brad
January 21st, 2011, 04:47 PM
That video was awesome Josh! Love the Rubi that flipped completely backwards onto its top. Scary stuff.

Haku
January 21st, 2011, 08:04 PM
That video was awesome Josh! Love the Rubi that flipped completely backwards onto its top. Scary stuff.

Yeah....that guy had no business being on that obstacle. You could tell that was gonna happen from when his front tires started to climb too, and he had every opportunity to stop and reset or go around but decided to keep the pedal to the floor. Yet another guy who spends the money on the suspension that allows him to try that kind of stuff without putting a cage into the budget too. Its getting to the point where a cage should be a mandatory pre-requisite to purchase a lift kit and big tires.

Andrew
January 22nd, 2011, 07:59 AM
Yeah call me a sissy but even if I do have my caged truggy setup like I want someday, I'm not going to be doing some of those lines.

scout man
January 22nd, 2011, 09:36 AM
That's kinda like saying you had a "Death defying golf game or shuffleboard match..."
Whens the last time you saw someone playing shuffle board that wasnt already defying death??

Brody
January 22nd, 2011, 09:52 AM
Good point....Same can be said for golf...