PDA

View Full Version : Hang Loose - Wheelin' in Hawaii

cfr
January 24th, 2011, 01:10 PM
Bad form with the rope on the cargo rack at one point, but the rest looked like fun. Didn't realize that they had trails like this there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_ERb5AG7n4

Brad
January 24th, 2011, 02:01 PM
That's pretty sweet! :thumb:

Chris
January 24th, 2011, 03:01 PM
Must be Oahu, pretty cool Charles! Thanks for sharing!

Aaron
January 24th, 2011, 03:14 PM
The island of Lenai'i (sp?) is supposed to have a few hundred miles of off road trails.

Chris
January 24th, 2011, 03:57 PM
Lanai is a small island less than 10 miles off Maui accessible by ferry. It was used by Dole to grow pineapples and was/ is known as Pineapple Isle even though Dole isn't the force it once was on the island. I haven't been there but understand it's popular for ATVer tourists who can go on guided tours. Obviously the main issue is getting there via ferry so it's kind of impractical when you factor in costs. There are hotels and luxury accomodations as well as what remains of a Leper Colony so there's a wide range of activities. IIRC correctly the 400 miles to "explore with a 4x4" are all the roads on the island which only has something like 30 miles of paved roads on the entire island of 140 or so square miles. You have one choice of who to rent your Jeep from and I guess it's pretty outrageous as well. Remember, 4x4 roads in Lanai aren't necessarily what we think of as "trails" and may just be plantation roads. Also IIRC the highest point of Lanaii is under 4,000 feet.

Yes, I do want to spend time there but need to be ready for what's already a very expensive vacation. :eek:

Brody
January 24th, 2011, 04:03 PM
Bad form with the rope on the cargo rack at one point, but the rest looked like fun. Didn't realize that they had trails like this there.

If you have never been in an off camber, three wheel situation like that, from either end, you would be surprised just how little force is actually required to keep the rig from tipping or all the wheels on the ground. Granted, the cargo rack is not the best place to rig a rope as they should have run it through the door, but the amount of force they use on the luggage rack was really minimal. You don't need to have an exo cage or roll bar strapped off for mild situations like that as body weight (and I am not talking pork city eaters here) or less is usually enough.

Chris
January 24th, 2011, 04:03 PM
Okay, Google helps: http://www.gohawaii.com/lanai/guidebook/topics/four-wheel-driving

It looks as though I was fairly accurate. Not a single stoplight on the island!

The video Charles posted is from Oahu.

AccordRanger
January 24th, 2011, 08:00 PM
That looks like a blast! Now even more of a reason to make it down there one day.

Funrover
January 24th, 2011, 11:12 PM
Looks like some pucker moments were had!

Roostercruiser
January 27th, 2011, 11:49 AM
fun in the sun