PDA

View Full Version : Aaaah, memories...

SCRubicon
February 15th, 2011, 01:22 PM
With my current suspension configuration and garage rating of 4.0 many of you would never think this was the Rubi. That was a great day on O.C.G. for sure. :) Bigger tires again, who knows??? ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiG2sTUSY-k

Mporter
February 15th, 2011, 03:51 PM
:thumb: I don't even know if mine would make that approach......too much of an ass on her.

Fordguy77
February 15th, 2011, 05:58 PM
:thumb: I don't even know if mine would make that approach......too much of an ass on her.

Haha i know ours couldnt make it with out some serious a** draggin

fredrok
February 15th, 2011, 07:00 PM
NIIIIIIIIICEEE! Jeeps rule

Cr33p3r
February 16th, 2011, 06:09 AM
That would definitely take out my clutch!

Funrover
February 17th, 2011, 10:10 AM
That darn obstacle is my goal. I have tried.. but wrong gears and no lockers It' didn't end well

Brody
February 17th, 2011, 11:37 AM
Thing is with no ass to speak of, like the Jeeps, Discos, bobbed Yotas, etc., you have no warning that you have gone too far until you are doing a back flip. Easy to see where if you were in an FJ60/62, you could get the front tires up, give it a little gas and end up with your back tires in the air between the bumper and the rock.

That particular obstracle is easier to do in a shorter wheelbase rig, too, as you don't have to hike the top at a bit of an angle, then straighten up to clear the driveshaft. The short wheelbase rigs with decent sized tires clear everything on a straight shot.

Nice vid, Steve.

4runner freak
February 17th, 2011, 11:52 AM
I did it in my 4runner with single 2.28 t-case, 4.10s and 32" MTRs. :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPSpRnFH5Nc

MelloYello
February 17th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Good job to both of you. That looks like a fun spot.

Haku
February 17th, 2011, 12:45 PM
I got up it once with my Toyota too, with GM4x4lover pulling hard on a strap to make sure I didn't slide. Unfortunately no video or pics. I tried it again the next trip and it just wasn't happening. My bumper was definitely a limiting factor on that one. A former member Jkimmel walked up it like it was nothing, but he had a fully built Toyota with 42" tires and Dana 60's under it. I cut 12-14" off the end of my frame since then, but both times I was there since then it was either very muddy or I had something wrong with the truck (no front locker).

The other thing I notice is I swear it gets 6-12" taller every time I go there. The hole is at least a foot deeper now then that video. Too many people gunning it and digging it deeper I guess.

I've done the middle line (like Danny's video) with no problem every time I've run that trail though. The only part I consider "the whale back" is the tall section to drivers left of that (like Steve's video).

This is the middle line....

http://hnvcca.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pLL9vpJWWhgSS6Q9rpg1gUr3ZsqHqFrZGpzlFTwZIeegdJPH 4TVEDmXbMc07Dswh4xxl8PVJdBgX-hkerk6r-qFvj2FUTFn5r/40.jpg?psid=1

The line to the left is the hard line that I couldn't get up. The middle line should be doable by most rigs, though I've seen plenty struggle with it. A rear locker helps, but I've seen open vehicles get up it quite easily.

Funrover
February 18th, 2011, 12:15 AM
I have done the middle, the right and attempted the left. I am sure I could have taken the strap and been pulled up but didn't see the point.

4runner freak
February 18th, 2011, 08:56 AM
I've done the middle line (like Danny's video) with no problem every time I've run that trail though. The only part I consider "the whale back" is the tall section to drivers left of that (like Steve's video).

This is the middle line....

http://hnvcca.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pLL9vpJWWhgSS6Q9rpg1gUr3ZsqHqFrZGpzlFTwZIeegdJPH 4TVEDmXbMc07Dswh4xxl8PVJdBgX-hkerk6r-qFvj2FUTFn5r/40.jpg?psid=1

The line to the left is the hard line that I couldn't get up. The middle line should be doable by most rigs, though I've seen plenty struggle with it. A rear locker helps, but I've seen open vehicles get up it quite easily.

Ah, it all makes sense now.
Good job, Steve.
Now I have a good challenge to look forward to.

SCRubicon
February 19th, 2011, 10:11 AM
That line has been in my head for years. It started way back on the trip when I lit my CJ5 on fire :lmao: Only made it up 2x, but that is good enough for me.

Brody
February 20th, 2011, 07:18 AM
The line to the left is the hard line that I couldn't get up.

I am sure I could have taken the strap and been pulled up but didn't see the point.

Wouldn't have problem getting up that Josh and neither would I. I would take a strap for safety's sake to keep from spilling into the hole on the left, but not necessary for a pull, just to locate my front end. I have never done that as it it so short and getting a strap out, hooking it to my front and have someone holding it or attaching it to another rig has never seemed to be worth the effort of doing. Rather have a strap on something like that to keep from tipping the rig into a hole and all the recovery BS involved. Kinda like having to air down on Kelly Flats in order to run the 80' of the Chutes obstacle of which all of 12' is hard. Why bother....

Haku
February 20th, 2011, 09:31 AM
For clarification, when I say that Nick (GM4x4lover) was pulling on the strap, I didn't mean his rig, just Nick for safety. He said he was pulling pretty hard, but it wasn't his rig, it was just him. For safeties sake like Brody said. Its really not a good place to go "ass over tea kettle", since it would be falling into a slot where it would be very challenging to extract the rig. You would pretty much have to pull the rig out on its side, or try to winch it back up the hill. The main challenge is that once your tires are up on top of the rock, they tend to want to go left into the little crevice next to the obstacle. From what I can tell, its more of a "faith" obstacle and should be taken with a bit of a bump and some momentum. Trying to crawl it tends to make tires lift and be harder. It is definitely a white knuckle obstacle, at least for me. At the end of the day, its pretty tame compared to stuff on the harder trails like Carnage and such. Heck, some of the trails out by Grand Junction, Montrose, and Rangely, you wouldn't even notice this obstacle as being special.

Still a stout obstacle though, especially for a moderate to "beginning extreme" kinda guy like I am. I may do most of the hard lines on the trips, but there are a bunch where its more white knuckled then others.

Pathrat
February 20th, 2011, 08:45 PM
Always a good one to watch Steve. I will keep the memory of the middle line forever. Steve and Tye telling me not to worry about the crunched part. And they were right.

SCRubicon
March 1st, 2011, 04:13 PM
Always a good one to watch Steve. I will keep the memory of the middle line forever. Steve and Tye telling me not to worry about the crunched part. And they were right.

:D

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c174/SteveChabala/OCG2008Nov1/DSCN0319.jpg

Brody
March 1st, 2011, 04:48 PM
If you carry a gun, some people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?

I like it, Stephanie. And you aren't paranoid if people are really out to get you, either, right?

And, of course, it is always better to have a gun and not need it, then to not have a gun and need it....

Pathrat
March 1st, 2011, 10:19 PM
Thanks Pete, but that is Steve's post. :) I can't take credit.

And thanks for putting up this picture. :thumb:

Funrover
March 1st, 2011, 10:38 PM
Look how cute that FJC used to be LOL

Pathrat
March 1st, 2011, 10:50 PM
Look how cute that FJC used to be LOL

I know, it's all shiny and little!!! LOL!!!