PDA

View Full Version : rear axles no third

wyota
February 21st, 2011, 03:42 PM
so i have to pull my third to get new gears installed. i live in an apt so your not supposed to leave vehicles on jack stands. will it hurt any thing (bearings) if i put the axles back in the housing and put the weight of the truck on them with no third? Thanks!!! p.s. its a Tacoma

Haku
February 21st, 2011, 04:04 PM
I'm guessing it would be fine, but I've never tried it. Definitely wouldn't drive it, but just letting it sit on the bearings should be fine. Those rear wheel bearings are pretty stout, and I've met people who have driven with a broken shaft and the wheel bearing was fine. Gotta love working on stuff in the apartment complex parking lot. I changed a clutch that way on my Subaru back in the day.

Patrolman
February 21st, 2011, 04:41 PM
If nothing else, wedge a piece of wood under the shaft, or a piece of PVC tube over the end of the shaft to help take up some slack. It shouldn't really be an issue though.

scout man
February 21st, 2011, 05:08 PM
can you put it all back together, and put the tires on, touching the gound, but still have the rig on jack stands? They probably wouldnt notice, especially on a pickup. Then again, my apartment complex was really unhappy with me by the time I left because I ALWAYS did things like that.

Brody
February 21st, 2011, 05:08 PM
Gotta love working on stuff in the apartment complex parking lot. I changed a clutch that way on my Subaru back in the day.

I did a 'stealth' lift on a 74 Cherokee the same way. I made a quickie 'car cover' out of some tan/brown tarp I bought, hot glued the seams together, and started putting it on my rig every time I parked it. After a few weeks, people paid no attention to it as it was just another car with a cover. I put all the stuff under the tarp, and did the quietest lift install I have ever done.

No problem, BTW, with the 3rd, either way you decide to do it. If you have any doubts, just wedge some wood under the shaft ends like Jeff said, but you really shouldn't have to do anything at all. Just snug up the mounting bolts..

wyota
February 21st, 2011, 06:24 PM
Cool thanks Guy's! I put it together, but left the stands under it. So if they say anything i can have it on the ground in no time. Hopefully I'll have the diff back tomorrow and put back before they even notice. Ya i HATE working in APT parking lots, TX sucks ....no where to wheel,that isn't a 5 hour drive and no place to work on the truck. I cant wait to get back to CO !!! The one good thing is i got a little extra flow to buy new stuff. 5.29's for the rear and a new third for up front with an ARB and 5.29's :D If you dont already have a gear suppler you got to try East Coast Gear Supply. They are super knowledgeable and friendly! I always talk to Chase. This was my second purchase from them and he remembered me and gave me an kick a$$ deal.
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff230/ddotdrawdoow/photo-1.jpg

Haku
February 21st, 2011, 06:26 PM
Ditto that on ECGS. I just bought a new Ring and Pinion and master install kit, and they were far and away the best deal in Nitro gears. They were also very knowledgeable and friendly.

Glad you got it figured out Todd.

Josh