PDA

View Full Version : FJ40 rust remediation

Rob
February 27th, 2011, 05:02 PM
Finally got some photos ready to go of the work Pete did on the FJ40 carcass last weekend. Thanks, Pete!

Here were the issues Pete fixed:

1) Bed rusting out in the back
2) Four rusted spots where the roll bar bolted into the wheel wells
3) Four rusted spots on the wheel well sides where the brace attached on the exterior
4) Rust on the driver's side rear quarter panel where the wheel well side meets the quarter panel.

I'll just post a bunch of photos without explanation or commentary. Most are self-explanatory. Any question should be directed at Pete.

Rob
February 27th, 2011, 05:06 PM
More photos.

Rob
February 27th, 2011, 05:11 PM
Even more photos.

Rob
February 27th, 2011, 05:16 PM
And the last of the bunch. I spent today prepping it for some bondo work so I can get the diamond plate back on the quarter panels and the spare tire carrier back on. Did some priming in the inside, but I need to take the roll bars out to finish priming and painting the wheel wells, plus the roll bar bolt plates need some attention. That's next week's project if the weather is warm enough.

MelloYello
February 27th, 2011, 05:46 PM
That looks like a heck of a project. Brody does quality work... again!

AccordRanger
February 27th, 2011, 05:55 PM
Glad to see you restoring it Rob! Cant wait to see it when its all done. Great work Brody!

Mporter
February 27th, 2011, 05:58 PM
Sweet.....can't wait till summer when I get to do the same thing.

I think i've settled on getting a 40 and restoring it though. I like the classic look.

Rob
February 27th, 2011, 07:06 PM
Glad to see you restoring it Rob! Cant wait to see it when its all done.

Not sure I'm restoring it so much as keeping it from falling apart. Which means it'll never be done. It'll be a perpetual work in progress. :wrench:

ColoRaider
February 27th, 2011, 07:20 PM
Nice work..stupid rust...

CR
February 27th, 2011, 07:25 PM
Looks great! Good job Pete.

Brad
February 28th, 2011, 06:18 AM
Excellent Rob! Really nice work Pete! :thumb:

Brody
February 28th, 2011, 06:20 AM
Thanks!

It was a lot of work and what we accomplished was giving the rig a new lease on life. Ideally all of the rust should have been cut out and removed with new panels installed. Well, this just wasn't in the budget, so we had to compromise a bit. I opted for using heavier gauge stock and overlaying the rusted sections tying everything back together. Not the be all/end all fix by any means, but the flip side is that it didn't cost $3,000 or more for a new bed, either.

The back end is now tied together, especially at the door bottoms. Before, you could shake the whole back of Rob's rig and stuff would move independently. Now it moves as a whole. The roll bars are now bolted through better metal and there are now no through and through holes on the body except maybe the very front floor boards.

Like I said, a new lease on life and at least some breathing room in the interim while Rob's saves $$ for a full bed replacement/resto...I hate rust....