PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Top vs DieHard

AccordRanger
March 11th, 2011, 11:25 PM
I need to get a battery for the F-250 tomorrow.
I have heard a mix of good and bad about the Yellow Tops. Also some good about the DieHards.
Yellow Top has a 3 year waranty as does the DieHard Gold, and the Platinum has a 4 year.

Which one would you guys recommend?

Brody
March 12th, 2011, 06:37 AM
I am a big fan of Optimas as I have little or no trouble with them in any rig I have owned. I have been running them since they came out. I have always run the RedTops, though, but I have heard the YellowTops are better.

foxtrot
March 12th, 2011, 09:06 AM
I had a yellow top in my Nissan 300zx. never had an issue with it. although I did kill it about 10 times from leaving the lights on, but it still held a charge just fine. just jump it and its back up like new again. that thing was about 7-8 years old at the time also. I just bought a red top yesterday for the rig, Optima might be more expensive, but IMO it is worth it.

AccordRanger
March 12th, 2011, 10:12 AM
I just got the duralast gold for now. I think i'll be putting a yellow top in the Explorer soon though.

Haku
March 12th, 2011, 10:34 AM
Optima Yellow Top is a combination deep cycle and starting battery, so its designed for being drawn down and recharged a bit. Its also a dry cell battery, so its designed to be used at any angle and won't leak (nothing to leak). Not sure on the other ones, but I'm sure they are great batteries. I've heard good things about the Die Hards.

Another comparable though slightly more expensive one that I've heard really good things about are the Odyssey batteries. Also dry cell, and they are supposed to be some badass batteries.

Volcom
March 12th, 2011, 08:00 PM
Its only the DieHard Platinum that is the odyssey made battery

4finger
March 12th, 2011, 08:07 PM
neither good nor bad but ive heard you need a special type of charger for the dry cell type, is this true?

JeffX
March 12th, 2011, 10:07 PM
For an F250, get the DieHard if it's cheaper.

Brody
March 13th, 2011, 07:21 AM
neither good nor bad but ive heard you need a special type of charger for the dry cell type, is this true?

****, I hope not. My Optimas have always charged up fine with a regular generic charger. If they need a special charger, I will need to be charged with battery abuse...

4finger
March 13th, 2011, 07:46 AM
i was trying to find the post in Pirate4x4 where i thought i read you needed a different chargerand i couldnt find it and through some google type searching i found this....

"Hello, I noticed your conversation regarding our batteries and wanted to offer some assistance. You do not need a special battery charger for our batteries. Normal battery chargers will work just fine, although it's important to clarify that our batteries are lead-acid batteries in a SpiralCell, AGM design. “Gel” or “Gel/AGM” charger settings will not fully-charge our batteries and could damage them over time.

We do recommend a maximum charging rate of 10 amps, 13.8-15 volts for regular charging. For float-charging, we recommend a 1 amp maximum rate, 13.2-13.8 volts. If anyone has any other questions about our batteries, I'll do my best to answer them.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
Since there are many great battery maintainer/chargers on the market, we do not have the capability of testing each one. We do not “officially” endorse specific maintainers or chargers, but we will supply information about devices that are advertised as being compatible with AGM batteries, including the CTEK MULTI US 7000 or 7002, the Interacter EX (12 volt 6 amp model), and the PulseTech Xtreme XC100. Generally speaking, chargers that are microprocessor-controlled are better options than chargers that are not. If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask."

so it looks like you dont need a special charger. disregard my last statement:D

Geno
March 27th, 2011, 09:52 PM
I have been running red tops for over 25 years and have only had 1 bad one. The one in my Taco, installed 2006, my pathfinder (Robert Bs old rig) installed 2005, and they still are working Great! They last in my trucks 6-10 years. I have a friend ( my boss) who has bought 3 in the last ninty days and has had to return all three within 90 days. ( the charging system checked out OK at the place he bought the red tops)He went to sears and is buying the DiehardPlatinums ,because Sears told him they are a gel-type battery and they have a longer warranty then the red tops. I will be buying a new battery for my wifes 2006 Highlander soon , ( still has the factory one in it ,but, turned a little slower when we had those -15deg days last month) So I am torn on which to buy. My boss says ever since Optima was sold a while back the new owners are not doing and R&D and are running the company down with cheaper materials to make more profit, hence the quality problems.

Brody
March 28th, 2011, 06:43 AM
Thanks Geno!

I had heard rumors about the Optima battery quality starting to go downhill myself and that there seemed to be a lot more warranty repairs going on than there used to be. I didn't know that the company had been sold.

Like I said, I have had Optimas on every heap I have had since Optimas first came out, and, like Geno, have had them last a very long time. But if the quality isn't going to be there, maybe it would be time to look at other alternatives.

ROKTAXI
March 28th, 2011, 07:51 AM
I didn't know that the company had been sold.
Not sure it's been sold, but the batts are now "hetcho en Mexico"

Brody
March 28th, 2011, 07:58 AM
"hetcho en Mexico"

How you say.....ahí va la calidad