PDA

View Full Version : Moab Firewood, Food, etc etc..

Brad
March 21st, 2011, 10:29 AM
This post is mostly for those who intend to camp out at BFE.

I am planning on buying some wood here in Denver and hauling it out. I already chatted with Aaron about getting wood.
There is a guy just north of my dealership who is selling wood, I also have a line on some firewood from a coworker.
Wanted to get your thoughts or plans on firewood. I can fit a sizeable amount on my roof rack. My Camper has alot more
room for gear than I initially thought.

Food wise I chatted with Brad (DirtClaude) on doing a couple nights of big meals. My thoughts were to cook up a couple
of easy to make large dinners, Chili, Stew, something of that nature. We could also combine efforts. I also wanted to take the
easy way out a couple nights and eat in town.

People wise I believe we have 2 families and a bunch of single campers. Of course I include Chris, Barb and Marty and his
to anything we are doing at camp. Let me know if I am incorrect on the head count.

Chris
March 21st, 2011, 10:42 AM
Barb & I will probably choose the Moab Diner over camp food so carry on w/o our input. :smokin:

RockyMtnHigh
March 21st, 2011, 12:05 PM
Brad, I don't know if Aaron checked into it, but a couple weeks ago I drove by one of the landscaping places who had huge piles of logs cut up into firewood length out there. My guess that's what they stick in the chipper for mulch. They are about 5 minutes from Aaron and I.

I also saw Home Depot sells bundles for $2.95 which is the cheapest I have seen, most places are between $4.95 to 7.50 a bundle.

Barb & I will probably choose the Moab Diner over camp food so carry on w/o our input. :smokin:

If I was going that would mean you'd be missing one of my NY strips, baked potato and wild rice. Spicy breaded walleye or hell just my method for cooking brats, those went pretty fast last camping trip. :D Diner food!!!! :lmao:

Chris
March 21st, 2011, 02:19 PM
That's a big "if" Jock! I welcome anyone to try to lure us with good food! :D

MelloYello
March 21st, 2011, 06:31 PM
Clutch211 and I will be bringing a lot of firewood too.

scout man
March 21st, 2011, 07:21 PM
I could definitely participate in the meal preparation. I could whip something up to cook for everyone down there.... How much do we want to organize this? Everyone just bring something if you want... or assign days....

Rob
March 21st, 2011, 09:05 PM
Well, I can cook and would gladly pitch in, but I'm woefully short of campsite cooking gear.

Speedwagon
March 21st, 2011, 09:18 PM
Is transporting wood ok to do? Did you check if there are any restrictions on that?

scout man
March 21st, 2011, 09:33 PM
Well, I can cook and would gladly pitch in, but I'm woefully short of campsite cooking gear.

Ill have a cooking stove with a pot, frying pan, and way to heat water. Might be able to come up with a grate to put over a fire. I had some hotdog forks, but I think I left them behind on the anniversary run.

Alec W
March 21st, 2011, 09:52 PM
I friend of mine cuts wood and sells it to all the camp sites etc. in Moab. He’s a local and will let you pick it up from his shop (avoiding the middle man). Rocky Mountain Firewood 435-259-6222 ask for Steve and say Alec told you to call and he may give you a good discount.

Brad
March 21st, 2011, 10:25 PM
Really good info! I have a 2 burner Coleman stove. A portable gas grill. A fire grate, heavy duty. I can bring a large pot if need be. We can also set up a few dishes for people to make so we are not just eating one item.

Rob
March 21st, 2011, 10:36 PM
We can also set up a few dishes for people to make so we are not just eating one item.

Any suggestions? I'm fine with the catch-all recipes, like chili and stew, with bread or cornbread, interspersed with meals at the Moab Diner with Chris and Barb.

Brad
March 22nd, 2011, 08:33 AM
Any suggestions? I'm fine with the catch-all recipes, like chili and stew, with bread or cornbread, interspersed with meals at the Moab Diner with Chris and Barb.

I am sure Jenn and I can come up with something for 1 night. There are about 11 of us in Camp unless I am missing someone. Might I suggest a Sunday night dinner where we all pitch in to make a large meal. Then maybe again on Tuesday? I am looking at making either a pork tenderloin (several actually as they are small) either over the fire or on the grill, or some chicken kebabs with veggies.

Brad
March 22nd, 2011, 11:21 AM
As for firewood I have found several options. Some free. The guy by my work apparently sold all of his. My coworker is bringing me alot of smaller leftover stuff for free so we should have plenty of kindling. Looking to see if we can or cannot bring wood into Utah.

Dirt Claude
March 23rd, 2011, 08:39 AM
I've got a couple bundles of wood laying around I was planning on bringing.
As for meals, should we just consider it a potluck? Everyone can make something to contribute?

Aaron
March 23rd, 2011, 09:00 AM
There are 5 of us going so we have been planning on it just being us. But if we find a way to combine then we are game... As for wood, I found that my wife bought 3 bundles so we have some..

Brad
March 23rd, 2011, 09:21 AM
I like the potluck idea. If everyone is bringing wood I will pick up some too. We should be able to have a nice fire everynight. I was planning on picking up about 10 bundles. I am staying a week tho. ;) All the wood around town that is free is cut it down or cut it up yourself kind of wood. Safeway has bundles for $3.50 per.. so $35 to keep warm at night.. sure. :D

Chris
March 23rd, 2011, 09:33 AM
Not to interfere but I think you guys should contact Alec's friend and Dave yourself some inconvenience and cash by picking up wood down there.

Brad
March 23rd, 2011, 10:55 AM
Not to interfere but I think you guys should contact Alec's friend and Dave yourself some inconvenience and cash by picking up wood down there.

Forgot about his post. I called and left a message.

Brad
March 23rd, 2011, 11:28 AM
Don't bring firewood! Steve in Moab is hooking us up with a pickup bed full for $40.
I will pay for the wood if Aaron wants to use his bed to get the wood when we get there! :thumb:

Aaron
March 23rd, 2011, 01:17 PM
Don't bring firewood! Steve in Moab is hooking us up with a pickup bed full for $40.
I will pay for the wood if Aaron wants to use his bed to get the wood when we get there! :thumb:

Sold!

Chris
March 23rd, 2011, 01:21 PM
I'm confused. I look at the Admin's avatar and I don't see any pickup bed? :D

Aaron
March 23rd, 2011, 01:32 PM
I'm confused. I look at the Admin's avatar and I don't see any pickup bed? :D

The Admin guy has to bring a total of 12 tires (not counting spares), 5 people and two dogs... :OMG:

Brad
March 23rd, 2011, 01:52 PM
The Admin guy has to bring a total of 12 tires (not counting spares), 5 people and two dogs... :OMG:

And AND a partridge in a pear tree!! :D

scout man
March 24th, 2011, 08:07 AM
mmm, i like pears. I will look forward to seeing that tree... dont care much for the partidges though