PDA

View Full Version : Looking to push my limits

JGomez31
March 23rd, 2011, 05:50 PM
Hey everyone, I know I don't have a very traditional 4x4 (or ideal for that matter), but I am looking to expand my list of conquered trails this year!!! Trying trails in a full-size truck makes four-wheeling even that much more fun, although I wouldn't mind being a passenger on trails that my vehicle limits me on. I added my vehicle to the "garage", but have also attached some pics of my ride on here.

I am hoping to head to Moab for the first time this year, and am a little disappointed that I didn't find this club sooner to join everyone this weekend. I am also hoping to head to the Buena Vista area for a long weekend this summer, so am looking for suggestions on trails.

Also, I am headed with a buddy this weekend down to the Sedalia/Larkspur area. Does anyone know if I can access some of the trail system there through Hidden Valley Road or Dakan Road this time of year?

Mporter
March 23rd, 2011, 05:54 PM
Welcome.

RidgeRunner
March 23rd, 2011, 06:05 PM
Welcome! You definately aren't the ony one here with a full size rig. You'll find quite a few of them I think.

Aaron
March 23rd, 2011, 06:27 PM
Welcome!

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Patrolman
March 23rd, 2011, 06:32 PM
Welcome! Not everyone here is "traditional" so you will find lots in common!

Brody
March 23rd, 2011, 06:51 PM
Welcome to the forum! You will find that we have quite a few 'not too traditional rigs' here and your full size will fit right in. In fact, I made a set of rock sliders for a Dodge just like yours last year and the year before that made a set for a Dodge extra cab. You are by no means the only person who wheels big rigs around here, both on and off this forum. Personally, I think it is pretty cool!

Chris
March 23rd, 2011, 07:25 PM
Welcome to Front Range 4x4 Jonathan! Nice to see a full size on the trails! I can't help with the Sedalia area and last time I was on Dakan it was smooth as a baby's @ss. :frown:

cfr
March 23rd, 2011, 07:38 PM
Welcome. I don't recognize the trails in your pics. Can you tell us about them?

Funrover
March 23rd, 2011, 07:56 PM
Welcome, Nice rig.

Rob
March 23rd, 2011, 07:59 PM
Welcome to the group! A full-size on Red Cone. Nice. Where was that first pic taken. I don't recognize the trail.

southpaws3
March 23rd, 2011, 08:35 PM
welcome

Hypoid
March 23rd, 2011, 08:47 PM
Welcome aboard!

Where was that first pic taken. I don't recognize the trail.
That's on Hamlin Gulch. It runs from (I think) Apex Road and dumps out on Fall River Road. First time I ran it, I thought I was on Yankee Hill. :redface:

Brad
March 23rd, 2011, 09:27 PM
Welcome! :thumb:

GaryG
March 23rd, 2011, 10:33 PM
Trails around northern Rampart Range are closed for winter with some additional stuff this year, see... http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/!ut/p/c4/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gDfxMDT8MwRydLA1cj72 BTFxdjAwjQL8h2VAQAlu7VZA!!/?ss=110212&navtype=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&cid=4367&navid=120000000000000&pnavid=null&position=Alerts&ttype=alerts&pname=Pike%20and%20San%20Isabel%20National%20Fores ts%20Cimarron%20and%20Comanche%20National%20Grassl ands-%20Alerts%20&%20Notices

You can always get to them from the west on highway 67 through rainbow falls area, but you may run into the above closure

RockyMtnHigh
March 23rd, 2011, 10:48 PM
Welcome!

Roostercruiser
March 24th, 2011, 12:04 AM
Welcome. Clean Dodge. Chris you could have followed Jim across the rocks :D

Cr33p3r
March 24th, 2011, 03:30 AM
Welcome to the group, some of those trails in your photos look familar.

Ardent
March 24th, 2011, 07:17 AM
Welcome!

Hidden Valley road is decent, but it's probably gated off at this time. We went on May 1st last year (when they were supposed to be open) and the FS still hadn't opened the trail.

JGomez31
March 24th, 2011, 08:29 AM
I am glad that Mike knows the name of the road that Pics #1/7 was taken on, because I didn't. My buddy and I just started exploring the FS roads behind Central City when I got my truck and ended up at this fun little rock obstacle!

Picture 2 is between Montezuma and Jefferson, near the trail intersections of Deer Creek Trail and Glacier Mountain Trail. There is a great network of trails in the area for all expertise levels. I have been using a couple of trail books to find my adventures: Colorado Trails: Central Region (Massey, Wilson, Titus) and Colorado Trails: Front Range Region (Massey, Wilson, Titus.) Being kinda new to the off-roading game these books give me a good description of what to expect and some trail ratings based on their trips with a Suburban. The other nice thing about these books is that they guide you through turn-by-turn directions, complete with GPS coordinates. Again, helpful for rookies like me!

Picture 3 was on Dakan Mountain Road, near Rampart Range, between Sedalia and Monument.

Picture 4 is on Browns Pass Trail, just south of Fairplay on US-285.

Picture 6 was part of my Glacier Peak Trail adventure, before I had to turn around. I wasn't going to attempt S.O.B. Hill in my truck.

Aaron
March 24th, 2011, 08:41 AM
I gave you an avatar Jonathan. Hope you like it.

It's nothing like what Jock would have given you :-/ :Jock: