PDA

View Full Version : recovery gear on sale at Home Depot!

mushmouth
March 30th, 2011, 05:21 PM
Went by my local HD last night and found this beauty on sale:
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&productId=202065700&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=202065700&cm_mmc=shopping-_-googlebase-_-D25X-_-202065700&locStoreNum=1502

its normally 29.99 but it was on sale for 19.99! Just wanted to get the word out, trying to build up my recovery stuff, hope I don't need it but I want to be prepared!!!

DETN8R
March 30th, 2011, 05:53 PM
I've always been wary of the tow ropes with metal hooks. If under tension and for whatever reason the tow point fails that hook is going to go flying in the opposite direction. That being said, I've never seen that happen.

As much as I hate four wheel parts they do have some cheap tow ropes.
http://www.4wheelparts.com/prodDetail.aspx?partno=S%2fBCC220

Patrolman
March 30th, 2011, 06:46 PM
Just FYI, I got a couple straps on sale at Harbor Freight for $12 each that were comparable, but without the hooks, just loops. Threw then in the DD just in case.

Volcom
March 30th, 2011, 07:58 PM
I've always been wary of the tow ropes with metal hooks.
X2. I hate to say this but I'll never let somebody put a metal hooked strap up to anything I own and won't be within a mile of one in use. That HD strap has a 5000lb max vehicle load and only a 11000lb rating. Not high enough for real recovery. My 3" strap has a 30,000lb rating.

Just FYI, I got a couple straps on sale at Harbor Freight for $12 each that were comparable, but without the hooks, just loops. Threw then in the DD just in case.
Same goes for the HF straps. The working load limit is only 5000lbs on those straps. They are better since they don't have metal hooks but still not heavy duty enough for my tastes.

Check out 4x4trailgear's strap he posted for $20 just the other day. Much better strap. I bought some ProComp straps from 4 wheel parts a couple of years ago. They had their 30K 3" straps marked down to $19 each. I bought 3 of them and gave the other 2 to my dad and brother.

Recovery isn't something you cheap out on.

mushmouth
March 30th, 2011, 08:42 PM
huh so you guys dont like them, should I return them then? They are rated for 11,000 lbs.

Patrolman
March 30th, 2011, 08:53 PM
huh so you guys dont like them, should I return them then? They are rated for 11,000 lbs.

I think it depends on your purpose. If you are going to use it offroad, then it likely isn't enough. If you just want to keep it in the car for snow days, like I am doing with mine, then it should suffice. Also depends on what you think you might be pulling with it. Heavier rigs require a heavier strap. Regardless, I have to agree with the no-hook theory.

Mporter
March 30th, 2011, 08:53 PM
I'm with Aaron on this one. I have one like that in my truck but i hardly use it. I bought a 30' Smittybilt strap from 4WP for like $30 about 8 months ago and it's pretty good for the money.

Alec W
March 30th, 2011, 09:55 PM
I did a bunch of research on straps a while back and metal hooks are a bad idea. There is a lot of kinetic energy in play when you snatch someone, they are supposed to stretch and although they don't snap often, you don't want metal flying around. The weak point on any strap is the stitching for the eyes.

I'm still trying to find a really good deal for our recovery kits but do have these http://www.4x4trailgear.com/smittybilt-cc220-cc230-cc330-recovery-straps

Personally I think a nice 30' x 3" single ply strap with non twisted eyes is the best for snatching.

For tree straps you want a strap with twisted ends. The twisted ends are what they use for crane work, hooks fit in them really well vs non twisted ones.

Patrolman
March 30th, 2011, 10:13 PM
I did a bunch of research on straps a while back and metal hooks are a bad idea. There is a lot of kinetic energy in play when you snatch someone, they are supposed to stretch and although they don't snap often, you don't want metal flying around.

Personally, I haven't had a strap snap, but I did have a strap with a hook come "un-hooked" from the other vehicle. The hook end went through the back window on my rig and landed on the seat next to me. This was about 15 years ago. Learned my lesson well and drove home in the freezing cold with a nice breeze!

Brody
March 31st, 2011, 05:52 AM
I am not a big fan of straps with the hooks either. Used them if I had to, but wouldn't buy the set up with hooks. Strap with loops, sure, or I would just cut the hooks off...

Alec W
March 31st, 2011, 08:32 AM
Personally, I haven't had a strap snap, but I did have a strap with a hook come "un-hooked" from the other vehicle. The hook end went through the back window on my rig and landed on the seat next to me. This was about 15 years ago. Learned my lesson well and drove home in the freezing cold with a nice breeze!

That's one reason I don't have a hook on my winch line. I cut it off and use a 4.5 ton shackle through the metal eye at the end.

Having said that If I were stuck and all I had was a strap with hooks I'd use it. Just gotta be able to duck under the dash real fast :D

96blkbeauty
April 1st, 2011, 08:22 PM
There is a difference between a "tow strap" and a "recovery strap." You should try to avoid snatching with a tow strap.

cfr
April 1st, 2011, 09:39 PM
I look to the farm/tractor stores for local recovery gear. Just make sure it's rated. Erickson straps are usually at Murdoch's Ranch & Home Supply in Longmont.

http://www.ericksonmfg.com/products/strapsTieDowns/recoveryStraps.html

Brody
April 2nd, 2011, 07:40 AM
Ahhhhh.....Murdoch's...what a great store! yet another store I have to stay out of with limited funds......

I have been using one of their shorter straps for a tree saver for years. I think it had a 10k rating and I paid $8 for it.

As far as 'snatching' someone out with a tow strap, I agree. No a good idea at all as these are most definitely NOT designed for doing this. Although exactly 'where' in Colorado you would find enough mud to justify 'snatching' a rig out of anything, I am not sure. I have been wheeling in a lot of states where the wheeling consisted of mud bogs or a lot of sections of muddy trails, and a snatch strap was the only way to get someone out of the mud. I have yet to see anywhere in Colorado where a snatch strap was actually needed and I have done a mess of trails around here....and recovered a lot of rigs.

I think the only times I have used a snatch strap to get anything out was when we were fencing in 80 acres down in Florrisant and had to both cut down trees and pull the stumps out. We were having to back up to the stump after cutting all the roots that we could get to, tying it off, and snatching it to get it out of the ground.

Not saying that it isn't a good thing to have, but just that it wouldn't be a selling point if I was looking for a recovery strap of any kind..