PDA

View Full Version : "Must do" Moab trails

4Runninfun
April 2nd, 2011, 01:32 PM
First of thanks to those of you who just got back and posted your pics! But now you have caused me great dilemma... which trails to do? I will be able to spend 3-4 days in Moab the last week of April, most likely solo. So I'm putting together my "must do" list. Top of my list right now is Top of the World. I was thinking about starting with Fins n Things but after looking at the pics Poison Spider might win out. Also the recent pics of Elephant Hill make that trail seam like a good one to do especially with the slot canyons to hike around. I would like to do White Rim but I just don't think I'll have enough time. So question to those that have been which trails would you consider must do for the area?

Haku
April 2nd, 2011, 02:14 PM
Poison Spider is a really good trail, is just challenging enough to be fun but easy enough for stock vehicles to get through, and has awesome scenery and such.

I personally find Hells Revenge more appealing then Fins n Things. It is up on the slickrock a lot more and has better views, but isn't that much harder then Fins unless you do the big, very optional obstacles. Put it this way, in Fins n Things you are mostly down in gullies and occasionally get up onto Slickrock, and Hells Revenge is the opposite. After Running it, Chris decided it needed to be renamed to one of many less scary sounding names. I think "oh golly revenge" and "Sally's Revenge" were both mentioned.

Top of the World is always good since it has awesome payoff at the top. The rest of the trail is less then classic, but is made up for with the stuff at the top. If you do it right, there is some neat stuff on Dome Plateua across the river from Top of the World. There is a ranchstead way back there that is built into Sandstone caves. Wyota and I did both of those trails last year, and they are fun. Dome is a lot of sand driving and navigation stuff though, so its not for everyone. Couple of Arches and box canyons back there too.

Elephant Hill is cool, but prepared for a bit of a hike to get there. Its 40 miles each way from Moab. Beyond the beginning its a pretty easy trail, but there is some cool stuff out there. I think I would have had a better time if I wasn't so burnt out (I had been in Moab for 10 days at that point and wheeled all but one day) and my truck was a bit more comfortable. All the other guys enjoyed it as much or more then some of the other stuff we did. I think there are other trails nearby that are fun too, Beef Basin being one.

Other classic trails I want to do next time are Metal Masher and Cliffhanger. They have scary names, but are supposed to be good moderate trails. I've found that the more difficult stuff in Moab actually have more benign names, and the easy stuff have scarier names. I think this is down to the easier stuff being named by Jeep Guides that want to wind up their customers.

Have a good time dude, its a lot of fun out there. Beware of EJS though, as its at the end of the month. April 16th-24th I believe. Not particularly conducive to a "loner" trip.

4Runninfun
April 2nd, 2011, 03:00 PM
Thanks Haku, no prob I'll be headed there the week after EJS! Should be the calm after the storm.

Rob
April 2nd, 2011, 03:39 PM
Jon, I can only speak to the trails I've done. Fins and Hell's Revenge are a good combo and can be run on the same day. They're both in the Sand Flats rec area, so you only have to pay the $5 entry fee once if you do both the same day. I agree with Josh that HR is more slickrock than Fins, but I think both are worth running.

Elephant Hill is a very long haul and makes for a very long day. Probably not a good trail to do solo. Same with Kane Creek. Excellent trail, but you really need a spotter on the steps on the shelf road part.

Definitely do Poison Spider. Lots of variety and scenery.

If you do Top of the World and want more challenge, do the loop clockwise.

cfr
April 2nd, 2011, 03:55 PM
Do you have the Funtreks.com Guide to Moab by Charles Wells? This can put a lot of things into perspective for you (detailed trail descriptions, ratings, pictures, etc).

http://www.funtreks.com/utah-books/guide-to-moab-ut-backroads-4-wheel-drive-trails-2nd-edition

If not, order it from his site and get the spiral-bound version.

4Runninfun
April 2nd, 2011, 04:31 PM
Do you have the Funtreks.com Guide to Moab by Charles Wells? This can put a lot of things into perspective for you (detailed trail descriptions, ratings, pictures, etc).

If not, order it from his site and get the spiral-bound version.

Yup got it! In spiral bound too.

They're both in the Sand Flats rec area, so you only have to pay the $5 entry fee once if you do both the same day.

Thanks Rob good info!

The ms. will be along so I will have an extra set of eyes, just not an extra set of wheels. Have you done Black Bear pass? If so how do the switch-backs compare to those?

Rob
April 2nd, 2011, 04:54 PM
Have you done Black Bear pass? If so how do the switch-backs compare to those?

Haven't done Black Bear, but I've seen photos and videos. If you're talking about the switchbacks on Elephant Hill, I'd guess that the ones on Black Bear are longer, and the ones on Elephant Hill might be a little steeper. There's one you're supposed to back down and back up on the way back out. Some of us were able to make the turn going down, but I think all of us backed up it on the way out. That would be a good place for a spotter. Chris has done Black Bear and can likely give you a better comparison.

Haku
April 2nd, 2011, 04:54 PM
As long as you aren't towing a trailer or using a super long wheelbase rig, the switchbacks aren't bad. They are tight but well designed. On one you have to keep going straight and do a 3 point turn in a wider area, and another you have to pull forward and then go in reverse to the next one. Works rather well actually. On the way in I tried to turn around that one without doing the reverse thing and it was a pain in the butt. On the way out I did it the advised way and it was MUCH easier. A couple of the other ones required multi-point turns but nothing to hard or scary. The rest of the trail is relatively tame though, especially compared to some of the Moab area stuff. We saw a stock FJC in there by itself (family of four) and some other stuff too. I'm sure you could get just about any stock vehicle through it that had a low range and 4wd. The switchbacks at the beginning have a few steep bits that a non low range vehicle would have issues with I think, and its not the kind of place where you can get a running start at things.

Rob
April 2nd, 2011, 06:15 PM
We saw a stock FJC in there by itself

Did you notice the trail damage to the left front wheel wheel and between the well and the door? :rolleyes:

Chris
April 2nd, 2011, 06:30 PM
I'll recommend pretty much the same as has already been said - Fins & Things and Hell's Revenge in one day. Some people say doing one is much like doing the other but I think The word "Moab" cannot be said w/o conjuring images of those slick rock trails. They are to me "Moab" but you have to know my preference is moderate trails too.

I like Elephant Hill for the variety - some challenges, some Baha, lots of scenery and nice hikes. IMHO it's worth a day in itself. Like Josh said, pay attention to the signs at the entrance and it's no big deal. I do think it has similarities to Black Bear but I think overall it's less dramatic in the length of the switchbacks.

Now that I've done Poison Spider I do think it should be on your "must do" list also. Everyone seems to like Top of the World and I'm among that group. It also has some sentimental appeal since it was the very first trail Barb and I ever did in Moab and we do it every visit for tradition. Besides that the view is the best in Moab!

I think that would take all your allotted time Jon and strongly suggest enjoying whatever you do rather than pressing yourself to cover x, y & z and ending up racing against the clock. That just takes all the fun out of it!

4Runninfun
April 2nd, 2011, 07:10 PM
I think that would take all your allotted time Jon and strongly suggest enjoying whatever you do rather than pressing yourself to cover x, y & z and ending up racing against the clock. That just takes all the fun out of it!

Thanks Chris! That's the general plan. Have 1 or 2 scheduled trails to do during the day and then wander, hike, explore the rest of the time.

Funrover
April 2nd, 2011, 07:32 PM
YOU SUCK!!!! Take pics and have a blast!

4Runninfun
April 2nd, 2011, 08:26 PM
Lol always welcome to join us.

Flako
April 25th, 2011, 05:12 PM
Im sure you have already headed out, but maybe as reference for future trips. Kane Creek is an awesome trail. I ran it with only a 3" lift and 33's. Limited Slip and did fine. Got stuck once but thats because I was trying on lines i should have not been on that did have a bypass.

Here is a little video I put together from one of the last obstacles in that trail really nice spot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tg03YYE9y2A

4finger
April 25th, 2011, 05:26 PM
amasa back has a cool overlook at the top. and a small lttle "playground" in the middle

Pathrat
April 25th, 2011, 10:43 PM
I don't know when you are heading out but hopefully you have the info you need. Elephant Hill is an all day affair but contrary to the rules, I did do that trail on my own with Hugh spotting. No damage. You are a better driver too Jon, and have more clearance I suspect that I did when I ran Elephant Hill. I suggest Poison Spider too. The scenery is great. If you have a few hours heading out of town, I also recommend Top of the World at the turn off to the burned down Dewey Bridge.
I am really looking forward to having a Monday off when the kids are out of school so Hugh and I can go back to Moab. It is one of my favorite places to go.