PDA

View Full Version : Gas $ vs. MPG

Cr33p3r
April 7th, 2011, 08:34 AM
Well I did not have time to stop at the gas station for a fill up last night on my way to work. When I noticed the gauge reading just below 1/4 tank(which I never let get below 1/2). So anyhow I am driving home this morning and the needle goes to "E" after driving only 6 miles so I am praying I make it to the gas station close to home (only 18 more miles to go). Well as I get off the highway and hit a red light the gas light comes on oh crap:eek: I am thinking! Wait didn't they say the tank has enough gas to go 5 miles after the light comes on, so I have to go about 1 mile okay I am good to go, low and behold I hit the next two lights red also. Finally I pull in to the usual gas station and see regular is now at $3.50/gallon, so I fill her up and it hits $40.51 for 11.57 gallons of gas OH CRAP the tank is only a 12 gallon tank:eek::eek:! So now I am thinking that I am getting really suckie gas mileage until I get home and figure it out that I went 375 miles on 11.57 gallons = 32.41mpg:thumb:. Wow and my truck is getting between 17 & 18 the last time I drove it. At this rate of price increases I won't be going wheeling much this year.

Brad
April 7th, 2011, 09:52 AM
Funny. I have been battling a check engine light since I did my head gaskets. It is a code for the stepper motor as it cannot obtain a low enough idle. I find out I need to check the idle set screw in the intake for the trottle body. When I got home last night I checked it and found it was backed almost all the way out. This was causing a rough idle and too high a idle. I screw it in per the shop manual instructions and it starts running smoother and less rich. I wonder what my MPG will be now?

My suspicion is a PO had problems with the gaskets leaking on the intake and kept changing the idle set screw to force the engine to dump more fuel to keep the idle in check.

Mporter
April 7th, 2011, 10:11 AM
I'm right there with ya Sean, last time I was at the pump I dropped $57.89 on 17.338 gallons.......and that (if i'm lucky) will get me 190 miles. I need a new DD because this cruiser is a gas guzzzzzzzzzler

Roostercruiser
April 7th, 2011, 10:49 AM
My burban has a 34 gallon tank. It cost me $100 plus. To fill up. My van gets 18 still not so good. My burban gets around 10 MPG

4wdhunter
April 7th, 2011, 03:36 PM
My Jeep most likely gets single digit mpg (carb V8). Never have cared to really check it though as it'd be too depressing. It's actually more economical for me to hitch up the trailer to the truck and tow my Jeep to most trails, although it's a royal PITA for local trails. Which is why I still drive my Jeep to trails that take less than 2 hours to get to. Thank goodness I have a DD that gets 35-40 mpg.

I haven't wheeled much the past 2 years, but plan on going a lot this year high gas prices or not.

Haku
April 7th, 2011, 03:53 PM
The more I look at getting a Tow Rig, the less I really want one. My Toyota actually does pretty well mileage wise, even with big tires on. With my street tires on, I'm guessing I get 20mpg. I drove it all the way to Rifle and still had plenty of gas in the tank. Mine is 15-16 gallon tank, but I was usually putting in 12-13 gallons when filling up.

Kinda makes me want that Hybrid Suburban now. They claim 20 mpg average for a full size truck. It also makes me glad to have the Subaru for a daily driver. Even with it being tuned for performance, I can still get 30mpg when I try and 25mpg when I don't.

Josh

Patrolman
April 7th, 2011, 04:12 PM
While the conversation is on mpg, and tow rigs, my dad has a 99 Dodge Cummins turbo 4x4 with 5 speed, long bed and extended cab. He gets about 20-22 unloaded and gets 15mpg on the highway with the 34 foot Airstream trailer. Not too shabby all things considered. Makes for a fantastic tow rig!

Volcom
April 7th, 2011, 05:48 PM
06 Dodge mega cab diesel 32 gallons at $4 gallon. Its my daily driver. Its been getting 15-16 mpg and costing me $75-80 in fuel every 2 weeks. Its worth it when I hook up the trailer and rockcrawler!!

4finger
April 7th, 2011, 06:49 PM
my tank in the excursion has never gone above half. everytime i go to the gas station my debit card wont go above $75. and that gets me just below half a tank when its just above empty.
my wife gave me the go ahead to look for gas saving upgrades for the excursion as soon as i get the 4runner up and running.

I DID "have to have" the V10 for towing:rolleyes::rolleyes:

BlackRubi
April 7th, 2011, 07:04 PM
With my Jeep's aerodynamic prowess, much like that of a brick flying sideways, I get 16mpg or so on a good day. That's with a nice breeze from the rear, throwing it in neutral while coming to a stop, and trying to keep my RPMs down under 2K when accelerating. I average around 250 +/- per tank.

RidgeRunner
April 7th, 2011, 07:43 PM
I'm glad I found a Subi Outback last summer for dirt cheap, it's been getting about 25 mpg. I get about 350 miles per tank in the subi compared to 250 miles in the XJ, and on less fuel too, 16 gal tank compared to 20. I figure it saves me about $140 a month in fuel costs.

Fordguy77
April 7th, 2011, 10:33 PM
I'm right there with ya Sean, last time I was at the pump I dropped $57.89 on 17.338 gallons.......and that (if i'm lucky) will get me 190 miles. I need a new DD because this cruiser is a gas guzzzzzzzzzler

Hmmm idk why yours is so much different than mine Matt. I am at around 260 for one tank at 18 gallons typically.

Chris
April 8th, 2011, 10:27 AM
Matt's got the slush box Chris, makes a very inefficient performing truck.

Fordguy77
April 9th, 2011, 05:52 PM
Ah i see so the auto is worse in a lot of ways? I do have one awesome thing to say about wyoming. The gas in wheatland right now is only 3.15!

transplant87
April 9th, 2011, 07:15 PM
hahahahaha i got you beat, i had an 1994 ford f150 with an 19 gallon tank and got around 137 miles to a tank

Hypoid
April 9th, 2011, 08:52 PM
I do have one awesome thing to say about wyoming. The gas in wheatland right now is only 3.15!
Is it watered down with Ethanol? When I went to Grand Junction for my daughter's graduation, I picked up 5 MPG because the fuel was not oxygenated.

cfr
April 9th, 2011, 09:43 PM
I do have one awesome thing to say about wyoming. The gas in wheatland right now is only 3.15!

Wyoming has some of the cheapest gas prices in the country,

http://www.gasbuddy.com/gb_gastemperaturemap.aspx

96blkbeauty
April 11th, 2011, 11:00 PM
Something doesn't seem right about this.

Do you still have the stock fuel tank? I'd assume so, considering you're talking about a gas light coming on. If so, your gas tank capacity is actually 16.5 gallons...not 12.

http://www.vehix.com/car-reviews/2002/ford/ranger/vehicle-specifications

I mean, if your math is in fact correct, and you're getting that good of MPG's out of your Ranger, let me know your secrets! I need to get that out of mine. LOL. I average anywhere from 16-20 tops.

I've read, and heard, you actually have 4 gallons of reserve gas left in the tank once the light comes on.

Haku
April 12th, 2011, 05:43 AM
When I read it, I assumed he was talking about his daily driver car. I think a Ford Focus. Much different animal, especially now that he is doing the axle swap and bigger tires. All things said, it might actually go up in mileage since the weight isn't increasing but the axle gearing is, and it will have lockout hubs that will spin free now. Still gonna suck down the gas though compared to a car with a 4 banger.

Cr33p3r
April 12th, 2011, 07:10 AM
Something doesn't seem right about this.

Do you still have the stock fuel tank? I'd assume so, considering you're talking about a gas light coming on. If so, your gas tank capacity is actually 16.5 gallons...not 12.

http://www.vehix.com/car-reviews/200...specifications

Nope as I posted the truck is getting 17-18 mpg and this was about my Focus having only a 12 gallon tank.

[QUOTE=Haku;139593]When I read it, I assumed he was talking about his daily driver car. I think a Ford Focus. Much different animal, especially now that he is doing the axle swap and bigger tires. All things said, it might actually go up in mileage since the weight isn't increasing but the axle gearing is, and it will have lockout hubs that will spin free now. Still gonna suck down the gas though compared to a car with a 4 banger.

Yes that is right Josh , the Ranger should do a lot better on gas since the new axles weight quite a bit less than the stock junk did.

96blkbeauty
April 12th, 2011, 07:12 AM
Ah, my bad. Didn't realize you were talking about your car.

Cr33p3r
April 12th, 2011, 07:15 AM
No biggie! I am hoping that the Ranger will go up a couple MPGs with the new stuff would be great to see 4-5mpg. But we'll see what happens.